Elgin City v Brechin City

It will be a tough game with Brechin having improved and Elgin possibly without key players in Cameron and McDonald. If Elgin lose they are in serious danger of dropping near the bottom and have 3 tough games to follow. A far cry from earlier season optimism. Crowds are also falling away even with the usual pre Xmas drop. Not confident of an Elgin win as they only seem to play well for a short period in each game and are losing a lot of soft goals. A win today could revitalise the team but talk of play offs is way off the mark as the other end of the table is just as likely at present. I think it will be a dog fight at the bottom with any of the bottom 6 capable of dropping down. Come on Elgin prove me wrong and win today to give a bit of confidence

Getting to my first game in a while today, so will be interesting to see first-hand how things go. I recall the early season cup game down at Brechin when Elgin were superb going forward, but absolutely shocking at the back & it ended up 5-4 to Elgin. Can't see a repeat of that scoreline today, but as Brechin seem to have improved a little over their early season form, whilst Elgin are 'patchy' in theirs, perhaps won't be a surprise if the away side do manage to grab a point. Hopefully all three staying at home though!

Thought Brechin struggled to offer much in the way of a threat. Neat & tidy at times in midfield, but that was about it. Elgin overall had that bit more quality, & pace like Hester & O'Keefe will always give any team trouble, but it was a very inconsistent performance across the piece, & from individual players. Not a huge amount of decent football played, with too many sluggish 5 & 6 out of 10 performances, & struggling to think of many players that you could say were 7 or 8. But heh, it's 3 points & other results broadly going well for Elgin aswell, so hopefully that will give a bit of confidence & impetus to proceedings going forward.

Thought Brechin started well but faded and only came to life again after their penalty. Does anyone know why the penalty was given as no one round me could see.? Elgin once again failed to kill off Brechin and had at least 6 excellent chances to score but missing them meant panic stations again after the penalty.  Very inconsistent performance again but good to get 3 points. Shane needs to start shooting first time as taking too many touches gave their defence the chance to recover. Cannot see us  getting a clean sheet against Cove !

4 hours ago, gordon9736 said:

One of the Brechin committee took umbridge when someone shouted 'cheats' when they decided to treat the drop ball after Bronsky's head injury as a free kick into the box. Bad sportsmanship? 

shocking almost as bad as the ref

Edited by elgin proud

2 hours ago, Highland ITFC said:

Thought Brechin struggled to offer much in the way of a threat. Neat & tidy at times in midfield, but that was about it. Elgin overall had that bit more quality, & pace like Hester & O'Keefe will always give any team trouble, but it was a very inconsistent performance across the piece, & from individual players. Not a huge amount of decent football played, with too many sluggish 5 & 6 out of 10 performances, & struggling to think of many players that you could say were 7 or 8. But heh, it's 3 points & other results broadly going well for Elgin aswell, so hopefully that will give a bit of confidence & impetus to proceedings going forward.

cant agree thought we much improved today 

Was always going to be tough to make it three wins from three with half the regular back four missing. According to the OS only Hill was banned but I thought Reekie had totted up enough yellows to be due one as well. Anyway he wasn’t playing, and neither Sinclair or McLaughlin were on the bench. Have to wonder if Saints will want to keep the former out on loan if he can’t dislodge McMinn. 

Well done to those who made the trip up.  Be good to hear how some of the fringe guys got on. Big game next week at the Glebe against Rovers who rather unhelpfully turned Annan over today. 

Elgin fans - how is Spark doing for you? Not the most gifted of footballers but always put in 100% and i’d have kept him. Local boy too which is rare 

Thought Sparky was MOM today. He had a tough task marking your young No7, and was booked early doors. He’s well liked by the Elgin support and has just signed an extended contract.

On the the game today, I thought Brechin were ok without having a real goal threat. Their goal came from a drop ball where the Elgin players were expecting the ball to be played back to them. Caused a lot of rage on the terraces, but within the new rules. Our keeper pulled off an outstanding save to deny Brechin a equaliser. We went up the other end and Scored the third. Nerve jangling stuff

13 hours ago, elgin proud said:

cant agree thought we much improved today 

That's fair enough. As I mentioned in a pre-game post on this thread, it was the first time in a while that I'd been able to get to a game, so just calling it as I saw things on the day. Must have been some very poor performances recently though if yesterday's was 'much improved'. I know that I've previously seen the team perform to a higher collective standard, along with most players able to do better than they did yesterday, so hopefully it's an upward curve.

I agree with Roberts & T&G re Sparky, as thought he was one of the few that were at or near the top of their game yesterday, along with Rory & Connor, although having the latter playing down the left does mean that he goes roaring past defenders with his pace, & then most of the time cuts back inside & slows things down & enables the defender to recover, rather than going to the byeline. The opening goal yesterday came from one of the few occasions when he trusted his left foot to put the ball in having beaten his defender. Would love to see him playing down the right, along with both fullbacks taking more opportunities to overlap & get crosses in, as there was very little of that yesterday, & consequently all opportunities, other than set pieces, have to be created through the middle or over the top of the defence, which an organised backline & midfield will find easier to defend than if getting in behind on a regular basis.

Personally thought that Sparky was rather fortunate to stay on having gone through the player over the ball, but I'm sure the highlights will give a better idea.  Also thought the yellow for McManus was harsh considering it was a 50/50 on a keeper who had decided to make himself an outfield player outside of the box.  As said already, a pretty poor refereeing performance from all the officials involved who managed to cheese off both sets of fans.

3-1 result was a bit harsh on us considering that I didn't think there was much between the two sides, just that Elgin looked that bit more dangerous when they managed to get it around the box and took one of their two decent chances from open play.  Didn't see what all the fuss was about RE our penalty as it looked like a fall onto our player that would have been a straight forward foul anywhere else on the pitch.  Third goal only really happened because we left Elgin open as we committed forward to grab a last minute equaliser, which we would have got if it wasn't for a rather decent point blank save.  

Thought it was an entertaining enough match, although the second half gradually became a scrappy game of hoof-ball as we attempted to send it route-one to McManus who is unfortunately a foot or two too short to play to that tactic with any effect.   Some decent enough play in the first half to give some confidence ahead of what'll be a big one against Albion next week. 

Edited by Hedgecutter
typo