Your favourite moment this decade following your club

17 minutes ago, The Marly said:

Quite enjoying that fans of the "famous" Aberdeen have winning the diddy Cup as their highlight of the decade, while ourselves, ICT and the Hibees can revel in winning the big Cup. Pleasing.

Shame you’ve had f**k all else to celebrate in the clubs lifetime.

18 minutes ago, The Marly said:

Quite enjoying that fans of the "famous" Aberdeen have winning the diddy Cup as their highlight of the decade, while ourselves, ICT and the Hibees can revel in winning the big Cup. Pleasing.

Merry Christmas. Personally, after decades in the wilderness, I would take our last 10 years (mainly just the last six, right enough) over getting a one off Scottish Cup win and not a lot else. But, if that’s made you happy, fair play to you.

The fairly recent 3-0 win at home to Killie and the 3-1 win at Ross County were special to me even though I was unable to go either of these due to work.   Up to then my teenage son probably wouldn’t have gone either without me taking him. But he wanted to go to the games so went himself on the train.  Gave me a feeling of pride that he’s turned out be a  committed Red.  

Edited by A96

Guest Bob Mahelp

If I may be so bold, I'm going for 2 games......away to Groningen (2-1) win, and away to Rijeka (3-0 win).

Two superb performances, and much underrated results given that we were playing top Dutch and Croatian teams. They were our best European performances in almost 30 years, and certainly the best non-OF European performances since Dundee United in the mid to late 80's. 

I'll also throw in the 2nd January 2015, when we went top of the league and Rasellik under Delila were wobbling. 

Sadly, we haven't really kicked on from there.....probably because of the team being progressively weakened in the last 4 years or so. 2014 and 2015 were definitely the high points. 

Merry Christmas. Personally, after decades in the wilderness, I would take our last 10 years (mainly just the last six, right enough) over getting a one off Scottish Cup win and not a lot else. But, if that’s made you happy, fair play to you.
Bit more to Saints last decade than just a Scottish Cup win. Numerous top 6 finishes, European campaigns, Beating Rosenberg and Luzern, humping "big " clubs (including your lot a few times). Meanwhile your mob continually failed to take advantage of not having Sevco in the league for four seasons by managing only one diddy cup win. If you don't think the Dandies underachieved then fair enough. I, and plenty others, would disagree though.

33 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

If I may be so bold, I'm going for 2 games......away to Groningen (2-1) win, and away to Rijeka (3-0 win).

Two superb performances, and much underrated results given that we were playing top Dutch and Croatian teams. They were our best European performances in almost 30 years, and certainly the best non-OF European performances since Dundee United in the mid to late 80's. 

I'll also throw in the 2nd January 2015, when we went top of the league and Rasellik under Delila were wobbling. 

Sadly, we haven't really kicked on from there.....probably because of the team being progressively weakened in the last 4 years or so. 2014 and 2015 were definitely the high points. 

Aye , I mentioned that game at New Year as one of my highlights. But I think our team peaked in the second half of the 2016/17 season, which unfortunately for us co-incided with Celtic going unbeaten for the whole season.

And that team was largely dismantled over the next year or so after the 2017 Scottish Cup final. It was always going to be almost impossible for us to “kick on” after losing Hayes, McLean, Jack And  Christie  combined with age catching up on Rooney , McGinn and Reynolds.  You could probably add Logan in to that category as well.

Realistically we’d have needed far more than our budget would extend to , to replace these players with others of a similar standard. And McInnes would’ve had to have an almost 100% success rate in the transfer market. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
41 minutes ago, The Marly said:
On 26/12/2019 at 12:05, kingjoey said:

Bit more to Saints last decade than just a Scottish Cup win. Numerous top 6 finishes, European campaigns, Beating Rosenberg and Luzern, humping "big " clubs (including your lot a few times). Meanwhile your mob continually failed to take advantage of not having Sevco in the league for four seasons by managing only one diddy cup win. If you don't think the Dandies underachieved then fair enough. I, and plenty others, would disagree though.

This thread is about the 'highlight of the decade', not 'over achieving or under achieving'.

You seem confused. Maybe it's the noise of the combine harvester. 

3 hours ago, The Marly said:
On 26/12/2019 at 11:05, kingjoey said:

I’m glad that you care so much about Aberdeen.

All of the above Dons highlights were special, particularly the St Johnstone semi. I’m going to suggest a different one, purely for how I felt in that moment -

The Hibs fans weren’t even in their fuckin seats and we were 1-0 up. Obviously it was a little more complicated in the end, due to *checks notes* Grant Holt coming on as a sub, but at that time, I was sure we were making the final. Everyone likes to say that 2014/2015 was McInnes’ peak Dons side, but I’d argue we were better in 2017. We were just unlucky that Celtic were so so much better under Rodgers. I adored watching us play when we had McGinn; Rooney; Hayes up top, and McLean; Shinnie; J*ck in the middle. We were great to watch that season and this goal really shows why.

We underachieved in cup wins, I’ll give you that. Not beating saints in the SC semi with Dundee United waiting in the final still sticks in the mind in terms of chances missed, so I’ll even give you that.
But big picture, the club has absolutely transformed in the period since rangers went bust. The Aberdeen of 2010 was an absolute diddy compared to what we are now.

Aye, labelling Aberdeen as "underachieved" isn't the right way to describe it. I'll look back at this decade and think of the missed opportunities but we haven't achieved anything less than any other club outwith Celtic and the club who died in 2012.

Also, anyone who labels the League Cup as a diddy cup needs their heads checked. It's still a domestic major honour and some clubs, St Johnstone, for example have never won it. 

Arguably the 2012 final was the best day and certainly the greatest cup final of the decade
but in terms of actual “moments” it’s hard to look past Craig Beattie’s semifinal penalty.

honourable mentions go to

Hearing the CVA had finally gone through and knowing we had basically saved the club

Alim Ozturk at Easter Road

Seeing the steel cross beam for the new stand in place above the old stand for the first time

Ryan Edwards, a former Partick Thistle player who’d struggled to get into a shit Hearts side, somehow giving us a ridiculously improbable lead in a cup final against Celtic with Willie Collum as ref. It wasn’t a great day but it was a great moment

On 28/12/2019 at 00:15, RussellAnderson said:

All of the above Dons highlights were special, particularly the St Johnstone semi. I’m going to suggest a different one, purely for how I felt in that moment -

The Hibs fans weren’t even in their fuckin seats and we were 1-0 up. Obviously it was a little more complicated in the end, due to *checks notes* Grant Holt coming on as a sub, but at that time, I was sure we were making the final. Everyone likes to say that 2014/2015 was McInnes’ peak Dons side, but I’d argue we were better in 2017. We were just unlucky that Celtic were so so much better under Rodgers. I adored watching us play when we had McGinn; Rooney; Hayes up top, and McLean; Shinnie; J*ck in the middle. We were great to watch that season and this goal really shows why.

That was a great game of football. Marciano should have scored at the end. 

That was a great game of football. Marciano should have scored at the end. 

From a neutral perspective, you’d have loved to have seen it. The match had just about everything and it also gave us one of P+B’s greatest gifs. As I don’t have the capability myself to post it, I’ll put out the bat-signal to any Hibees who are more familiar with such methods. IMG_3627.jpg

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Arguably the 2012 final was the best day and certainly the greatest cup final of the decade

M9.png.925ecc01f7d16dd89e6ac71c614b239c.png

27 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

The match had just about everything and it also gave us one of P+B’s greatest gifs. As I don’t have the capability myself to post it, I’ll put out the bat-signal to any Hibees who are more familiar with such methods.

Best I've got for the moment, I'll find it later on. Fyvie.gif.f0ffdb847b1052b8f7d1fdb9df541199.gif

ETA: here we go.

MFW reading topcat's ludicrous claim that the 2012 final was a better final than 2016's.

447029814_Fyvie2.gif.ba2c1d7b19616f04417bacc2ceb55ff1.gif

Edited by HibsFan

Best I've got for the moment, I'll find it later on. Fyvie.gif.f0ffdb847b1052b8f7d1fdb9df541199.gif
ETA: here we go.
MFW reading topcat's ludicrous claim that the 2012 final was a better final than 2016's.
447029814_Fyvie2.gif.ba2c1d7b19616f04417bacc2ceb55ff1.gif

To be fair

I didn’t actually watch the 2016 cup final.

But I can see how the romance of two lower division teams making the final might swing it for romantics

I’m willing to discuss the matter further

But as far as I see it we should wait till P&B reaches a broad agreement on the matter of whether the Rangers you beat in 2016 were the same Rangers Hearts beat in the 1998 final and Dundee United beat in 1994.

So don’t hold your breath

1- Beating Celtic at Hampden-twice! The glorious day in April 2010 when we beat them 2-0 will never leave me. Lifting the League Cup was brilliant and a huge achievement. Both pieces of silverware were in the Highlands that season. That wont happen again I reckon.

2-Promotion day to the SPL when we beat Hamilton 5-1.  'Shoes off for the champions' was funny

3-Beating Hibs in the Scottish Cup quarter final. The jailend was heaving that night and to see the goal go in was remarkable.

4-Jamie Lyndseys last gasp leveller v Dundee United last season. That was incredible and although it didnt secure the title it felt like it did.

5-The opening goal against Queen of the South in the Challenge Cup final in Perth-funny

6-Stefans last gasp winner v Celtic. Being 2-0 down and to come back to win 3-2!!!!

7-The boxing day draw against Falkirk. Our unbeaten run was in serious danger of coming to an end but Colin slamming the ball into the net as the referee was close to blowing the final whistle was brilliant. That result made me believe we really could go on and win the league.

8-The 4-0 win v ICT in Dingwall. Liam Boyce was some player getting all 4 of them.

9-Ritchie Brittains free kick v Celtic-an absolute belter. Our first SPL goal.

10-Alex Shalke winning a penalty v Celtic-I couldnt possibly condone it, but we got a point in a 2-2 draw

11-40 games unbeaten. That wont happen again any time soon.

12-Winning 5 trophys. Has any other side  (apart from Rangers and Celtic) won more silverware in the past 10 years?

All in all it has been a good decade. 

Edited 1 hour ago by silver