VAR possibly coming to Scottish Football

Nice balanced view of implementing VAR in Scotland from Neil Lennon. He welcomes it because Celtic “would be further ahead in the league with some of the decisions we haven’t had.” He does realise that VAR doesn’t monitor throw ins and goal kicks, doesn’t he?

I’d imagine it’ll happen, FIFA will want it to happen everywhere. The day will come when they can cut to ads while the referees are deliberating a la the NFL, and can get more tv money as a result.

I'd be 100% behind the use of video technology to help referees if I could trust that it wouldn't get completely ballsed up. However, any time VAR gets introduced to a new competition, it seems to get more and more calamitous, and I have zero doubt that this trend would continue. So with that said, nope, not for me.

Get VAR so far to f**k away from Scottish football. It’s absolutely awful and takes away the best thing about the game, those moments or spontaneous emotion that make football what it is. Imagine having to wait minutes after every goal before you know you’re going to get it...just incase your strikers armpit is 2 inches offside.

If we’re going to adopt anything it should be goal line technology.

Wouldn't be in favour of it based on how it has been used in England. The cost would be prohibitive for SPFL clubs, realistically who could afford to put out the amount of money required, other than 2 clubs?

Where I would be in favour is it is ONLY used where "a clear AND obvious error has occured". Someone offside by a few mm or indeed cms does not meet the criteria. Penalty decisions that need watched 5/6 times and still not 100% doesn't meet the criteria. If it comes in and is used as it is in England it will kill the game.

1 hour ago, Tannadeechee said:

Where I would be in favour is it is ONLY used where "a clear AND obvious error has occured". Someone offside by a few mm or indeed cms does not meet the criteria. Penalty decisions that need watched 5/6 times and still not 100% doesn't meet the criteria. If it comes in and is used as it is in England it will kill the game.

Precisely this. A striker standing 3 feet behind the last defender which the Lino has missed is ‘clear and obvious’. Somebody’s elbow being 4mm offside isn’t. Of course given the SPFL/SFA’s modus operandi is just to try and cheaply copy everything that is done in England I wouldn’t be confident.

It won’t happen anyway, it’s nowhere near financially justifiable.

No from me.

Its added nothing down south so I don’t see why it’s being looked into.

Yes to goal line technology, that’s been a success; unobtrusive to the flow of matches and enjoyment of supporters at the game, but taken away controversy and mistakes over those marginal decisions.

If VAR ever ticks the same boxes then let’s have the discussion.  I can’t see how it ever can though.

I think it should be trialled in the Scottish Cup from R5 onwards this season and they should see how it goes from there.

A few of changes I would suggest for Scotland:

1. Max Time-Limit of 60-90secs, if that time is exceeded the VAR sticks with the on-field decision.
  2. Use the Bundesliga system of VAR wherever possible and not the English system - as it's more efficient.
  3. It should only be used for 2020-21 for Live TV matches and Post-split games in order to grandfather the system in.

13 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

I think it should be trialled in the Scottish Cup from R5 onwards this season and they should see how it goes from there.

A few of changes I would suggest for Scotland:

1. Max Time-Limit of 60-90secs, if that time is exceeded the VAR sticks with the on-field decision.
  2. Use the Bundesliga system of VAR wherever possible and not the English system - as it's more efficient.
  3. It should only be used for 2020-21 for Live TV matches and Post-split games in order to grandfather the system in.

Or, we know it's shite and completely kills the spontaneity of football, so we don't bother bringing it in at all?

Get it to f**k unless it is to pick up on things the ref has actually missed, if the ref sees something and makes the decision then f**k it we stick by that decision even if we think its wrong, football has always been about the split decisions that can be debated for days on end, take that away and it loses a lot of its appeal

The Champions League game between Slavia Prague and Inter Milan showed everything that is wrong with VAR. Inter scored and were celebrating going 2-0 up when VAR intervened to award a penalty at the other end to Slavia. Goal disallowed and Slavia scored the penalty. Inter went from the joy of a 2 goal lead to being 1-1 in the space of 30 seconds! In Scotland, games involving either of them could last hours while VAR analyses every ball into the box when either need an equaliser/winner. No thanks. The present incompetent refs are still better than that

9 minutes ago, DurrantsKneeIsJelly said:

VAR doesn’t get it wrong though. It only allows the ref to see it again and in slow motion. The problem Is our refs are shite. Having VAR will only mean that bad refs still make bad decisions with VAR.

VAR has got it wrong on many occasions, but even if it got it right every time I wouldn't want it.

Completely takes away the joy of celebrating a goal, football isn't an exact science and I can live with Hibs getting screwed by some bad decisions every so often to keep that joy.