VAR possibly coming to Scottish Football

This. 1000%.
I don't have anything against VAR in principle, but, to me, football should be the same game regardless of whether it's the world cup final or a Sunday amateur league.
VAR has taken this away, resulting in effectively a two-tier sport. To me, that's not what football should be about.
All that would happen here is that a handful of clubs at most would have it and the rest wouldn't.

Got linesmen at your Sunday league then?

It still comes down to interpretation and how it will get used, so far it has been more trouble than it's worth in England. Frustrates the shit out of fans and takes away all spontaneity of goal celebrations.

This season Livi have had quite a few bad calls against us that VAR would've easily spotted, some against Sevco, whether VAR would be used properly to spot them is another thing.  If the sped up decision making and made it clear on how exactly they'd be using it then I dare say it has a chance, can't say i'm overly excited about us getting it though, not based on what I've seen so far down South.

FWIW I'd be happy to see VAR reviewing goals for offside etc., but not  to the degree the English do it too (literal millimetres when the technology isn't good enough to make that call), and goal line technology.

This taking 5 minutes every time someone falls in the box is just horrendous.

Not for me and certainly not whilst the ridiculous cost would actively damage the economy of the game. Let's look at it again once some giant media conglomerates are fighting each other to spunk billions of pounds into the Scottish game.

At that point I say we put the money into robotic players first and leave the inane quibbling about offside genitalia until after the robots gain self awareness and can referee themselves. At that point, crack on.

Edited by Pull My Strings

It's insane that the authorities are even considering this, and even more so that there are folk on here who would be in support.

The experience of football is being lessened (in England especially) as penalty and goal decisions are no longer spontaneous.

What a horrible, horrible development.

2 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Imagine we have a VAR headquarters like England that allows Andrew Dallas to f**k every game simultaneously.

That's got me in cold sweats, christ.

47 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Don't think £1m a season for Scottish clubs is justifiable.

Cost is a huge factor. With the current implementation free wouldn't be value for money, but if we are talking about the mad figures quoted so far then even 100% accuracy and decisions made instantaneous wouldn't be worth it. Its just too high of % of turnover