VAR possibly coming to Scottish Football

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/var-in-scottish-football-sfa-green-lights-study-into-costs-and-benefits-as-clubs-are-asked-to-make-call-1-5065160

The SFA are commissioning a study into whether we should have VAR in the wake of Rangers being defeated in an Old Firm Final by an offside goal.

Likely to cost clubs around £1m per season. Probably more imo with all the extra video set up required and the additional cost of referees across 80+ match days in the Premiership.

For me it is a waste of money for a system that has been proven to not offer any more assurance of getting the big decisions correct.

Until/unless they can put the replays on screens in the ground for everyone to see, and they speed up the decisions, it's a hard "hell no" from me. It's extremely bad for the experience of actually being at the game, and the last thing Scottish football needs is to piss off the paying fans. 

VAR is a good thing at base level but it’s current implementation is terrible.

Communication with fans needs massive improvement (and given its often difficult to hear team lines etc over ageing sound systems that’s doubtful) as does the speed(and number) of decisions.

We really need to move to a review system.

29 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Clubs can’t afford it.

This. 1000%.

I don't have anything against VAR in principle, but, to me, football should be the same game regardless of whether it's the world cup final or a Sunday amateur league.

VAR has taken this away, resulting in effectively a two-tier sport. To me, that's not what football should be about.

All that would happen here is that a handful of clubs at most would have it and the rest wouldn't.

16 minutes ago, Menga Bus said:

Goal line technology has to be implemented first, Scottish football is nowhere near ready for VAR

A go pro taped to the cross bar and we are sorted

each club needs to just buy one and take it to games

Edited by ropy