UK football managers

sjc

5. Jock Stein - well documented success at Celtic including 9IAR, 1967 quadruple (European Cup included) and numerous other trophies belie the mess he took over at Parkhead in 1965. His successful stint as Dunfermline manager shouldn't be underestimated.

4. Jim McLean - Scottish version of Brian Clough in bringing success to an unfashionable Club. 1 Championship, 2 LCs, as well as numerous finals and SFs including the UEFA Cup, and European Cup.

3. Brian Clough - brought massive success to both Derby County and Nottingham Forest. 2 back to back European Cups at Forest. Arguably cheated out of a UEFA Cup by Anderlecht in 1984.

2. Bob Paisley - took over Liverpool from the iconic Shankly and made them even better and more successful. Had an eye for a player as well as an able physio. 6 Championships and 3 European Cups in 9 years.

1. Sir Alex Ferguson - hugely successful in both pre & post Bosman eras where the balance of power switched from Clubs to players. His success at Aberdeen also prove he wasn't a "chequebook" manager.

Overall, a very subjective subject but for me SAF wins due to 1. His sustained success. 2. His success at both fashionable and unfashionable Clubs. But mainly 3. Success both pre and post Bosman era.

I wonder how the others would have coped with modern day player power. I'm not sure Clough or McLean would have adapted as well as Stein or Paisley tbh.

Where would you slot them into a top 5?
It's difficult but maybe clough could be replaced with one or two.
Ramsey took Ipswich up two leagues and won the first division plus a world cup.
What's a great achievement? That or what Stein did at celtic? It's a bit subjective and ramsey certainly not going to be a popular choice up north.
Robson regarded as a genius also.

6 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

It's difficult but maybe clough could be replaced with one or two.
Ramsey took Ipswich up two leagues and won the first division plus a world cup.
What's a great achievement? That or what Stein did at celtic? It's a bit subjective and ramsey certainly not going to be a popular choice up north.
Robson regarded as a genius also.

Clough won league titles with both Derby and Forest! 2 European Cups too!

Clough is the man they regard as the manager England should have had instead of Robson.

1 minute ago, sjc said:

Clough is the man they regard as the manager England should have had instead of Robson.

Good post, young man.

Plus he's gone on to become the new Welsh Secretary of State.

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2019-12-16/simon-hart-announced-as-new-welsh-secretary-in-pm-reshuffle/

Cant argue with that really. Hard to pick a top five as its subjective.
Like I said what's a greater achievement a European or a world cup? With a national team you cant spend your way out of trouble. Clough certainly spent money.

12 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Cant argue with that really. Hard to pick a top five as its subjective.
Like I said what's a greater achievement a European or a world cup? With a national team you cant spend your way out of trouble. Clough certainly spent money.

Absolutely. I said it was very subjective in the OP. Put your cock on the block and express your opinion. It's the whole idea of the thread.

I have a great admiration for Bill Shankly. Ferguson and Paisley won more trophies but Shankly did something no other great manager did, namely building a successful club on and off the field in a way that they actually improved further after he left. Most of the other managers saw their former clubs go into a period of decline following their departures.

8 hours ago, sjc said:

5. Jock Stein - well documented success at Celtic including 9IAR, 1967 quadruple (European Cup included) and numerous other trophies belie the mess he took over at Parkhead in 1965. His successful stint as Dunfermline manager shouldn't be underestimated.

4. Jim McLean - Scottish version of Brian Clough in bringing success to an unfashionable Club. 1 Championship, 2 LCs, as well as numerous finals and SFs including the UEFA Cup, and European Cup.

3. Brian Clough - brought massive success to both Derby County and Nottingham Forest. 2 back to back European Cups at Forest. Arguably cheated out of a UEFA Cup by Anderlecht in 1984.

2. Bob Paisley - took over Liverpool from the iconic Shankly and made them even better and more successful. Had an eye for a player as well as an able physio. 6 Championships and 3 European Cups in 9 years.

1. Sir Alex Ferguson - hugely successful in both pre & post Bosman eras where the balance of power switched from Clubs to players. His success at Aberdeen also prove he wasn't a "chequebook" manager.

Overall, a very subjective subject but for me SAF wins due to 1. His sustained success. 2. His success at both fashionable and unfashionable Clubs. But mainly 3. Success both pre and post Bosman era.

I wonder how the others would have coped with modern day player power. I'm not sure Clough or McLean would have adapted as well as Stein or Paisley tbh.

You forgot the Glasgow Cup.

4 minutes ago, sjc said:

If we're including that then why not the Parents v kids game at St Columbus High School? Chalmers got the winner in that game I believe....

The Glasgow Cup was a fairly prestigious trophy back in 1967, unlike the (fictional) Parents v kids game at St Columbus High School which was only prestigious to the participants.

Edited by Jacksgranda

• 1 month later...
On 20/12/2019 at 10:27, Northboy said:

I have a great admiration for Bill Shankly. Ferguson and Paisley won more trophies but Shankly did something no other great manager did, namely building a successful club on and off the field in a way that they actually improved further after he left. Most of the other managers saw their former clubs go into a period of decline following their departures.

he's the reason Liverpool became a successful team, took the team from the second division to league winners, FA cup winners and UEFA cup winners in a few years then stopped, but that allowed paisley to go on and win those european cups

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would have Clough above Ferguson. Clough fined his players for being booked for dissent. Ferguson encouraged his players (at both Aberdeen and Man Utd) to intimidate and harass referees. In my opinion, Ferguson was the catalyst for the fucking state the top flight game in UK is in now