English Nationalism

Killie87

4 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I saw there was two types of English nationalism down there....

Weirdly enough I was texting ma pal down there at lunch and brought this up and she is the opposite of the liberal English nationalism I mentioned earlier and much prefers "British" over "English" as she sees Britain as being more encompassing than England as it includes the other home nations and doesn't seem as nationalistic. Calls herself British/Egyptian. So disregard everything I said :P

23 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Realise that the OP asks for thoughts from posters staying in England, but I visit fairly regularly and on occasions get comments on the topic.

A sizeable percentage of the type who wanted Brexit because they didn't like subsidising Johnny Foreigner seem angry at Scots who seek Independence, pointing out that Scotland cannot survive without help from the UK pot. There's an irony in this.

Fucking foreigners! Fucking EU! We want to take back control - we never asked for political union! We demand our sovereignty! We will not be told what to do! They need us more than we need them.

Fucking Sturgeon trying to break up our political union! How dare she seek sovereignty for her nation! The Scots must be told what to do! They need us more than we need them! 

8 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

I'd say it was far earlier than 2012.

Basically check when the St. George flag started replacing the union flag at England matches. 90s I'd guess.

We all girned when the English waved the union flag at English games , and now that they wave the flag of St George instead, that's a fault, too! :lol:

1 hour ago, Stinky Bone said:

I do not live in England.  To the OP feel free to delete this post if you wish.   This is my opinion only. 

English nationalism has been on the rise since 2012 when the Edinburgh Agreement was signed.  I think at that point they started to think to themselves what if England was an independent country.  Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales had a devolved system of government but the English didn't.  This may have slightly changed after the 2014 Scottish Independence referendum when English votes for English laws was passed.  

English nationalists were feeling oppressed by the EU which they viewed as their master.  In their eyes, England had become a colony of the EU and were subject to rules and regulations that they didn't want (sound familiar) and were determined overthrow their colonial masters.  It wouldn't matter that they were fed many lies, they wanted out and that was that.  They voted to leave the EU.  

Now that their independence from the EU is all but done (in their eyes; although it will take many years) they are ready for empire 2.0 which will mean trying to hold onto as many of their colonies that remain, Scotland being the main one.  The English nationalist considers him/herself superior to all other nations, especially Scotland.  This is why I believe there have been so many instances the past few days of racist attacks in England towards minority groups. 

On the other hand, the majority of Scottish Nationalists are welcoming refugees from war torn countries and doing our best to help them.  Likewise to our European neighbours that have chosen to live and work here, we have shown them love and they know they are welcome to stay.  

And there it is, I've mentioned this before that the english railed against what they saw as being ruled from a foreign country and yet it was quite acceptable to them for us to be ruled from Westminster for 300 years.

Truth be told Scotland has been held back by this cursed Union, it served the english better to have us as the poor relations.

You only have to look at the success of Denmark with a similar population and see where we should be, I have worked with Danish companies and know how progressive and forward thinking they are.

Realise that the OP asks for thoughts from posters staying in England, but I visit fairly regularly and on occasions get comments on the topic.
A sizeable percentage of the type who wanted Brexit because they didn't like subsidising Johnny Foreigner seem angry at Scots who seek Independence, pointing out that Scotland cannot survive without help from the UK pot. There's an irony in this.
Like this guy?

Unsurprisingly this thick c**t is in the forces [emoji23]
Screenshot_20191219-172635_Facebook.jpegScreenshot_20191219-172549_Facebook.jpeg

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

We all girned when the English waved the union flag at English games , and now that they wave the flag of St George instead, that's a fault, too! :lol:

No, I think they should wave their own flag. Unless it's a competition that the UK are in.

I'm just pointing out when I think they began to see that they were not the same as the UK/GB. I only wish the rest of the world knew that England and the UK are not interchangeable and there are other constituent parts.

I remember it being warned at the time the Scottish Parliament was being set up that it could awaken English nationalism and it’s uglier side.

Regarding the Union Flag - St George flag. I think there was a change in the early 90s. I certainly remember the Union Flag being foremost at Italia 90 but by Euro 96 the St George cross came to the fore. IMG_0286.jpg.cc5d4348d0072eeaa810deec5a44b84a.jpg

12 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

I like seeing English flags flying in England, I think it's neat you get Scottish, English and Northumbrian flags on the A1 border.

They're less good when they're painted onto a Phil Mitchell throwing a plastic chair across a piazza but I think it's within all of our wit to distinguish these things.

Like you I have no problem with english people flying their flags, however there is a minorative element who align the flag with racism and that is not acceptable.

Like you I have no problem with english people flying their flags, however there is a minorative element who align the flag with racism and that is not acceptable.

As a Swedish friend of mine once commented.
‘The British seem the see the flag a something to rally an army around, we see it as something to have a picnic with the family around!’

Just now, Dunfermline Don said:

‘The British seem the see the flag a something to rally an army around, we see it as something to have a picnic with the family around!’

Tell him his English needs improving.

3 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Really?  What a peculiar thing to say, especially given how proud so many Swedes are of their military heritage and their ways of Empire, with Gustavus Adolphus being revered in Sweden more than Nelson, Wellington and Churchill combined.

Maybe the picnic lover felt safe because of Sweden's massive arms industry, probably twice the size of Britain's per capita and the fact that they've reintroduced national service so it's safer to eat al fresco.   

I wonder if she'll be a supporter of Sweden's most popular party, according to a recent poll, with 24% support.  Very much in the Nationalist 'identity politics' mould of the Snippers - though they do seem to take issue with all immigration not just English people as we have over here.

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

Really?  What a peculiar thing to say, especially given how proud so many Swedes are of their military heritage and their ways of Empire, with Gustavus Adolphus being revered in Sweden more than Nelson, Wellington and Churchill combined.

Maybe the picnic lover felt safe because of Sweden's massive arms industry, probably twice the size of Britain's per capita and the fact that they've reintroduced national service so it's safer to eat al fresco.   

I wonder if she'll be a supporter of Sweden's most popular party, according to a recent poll, with 24% support.  Very much in the Nationalist 'identity politics' mould of the Snippers - though they do seem to take issue with all immigration not just English people as we have over here.

^^^ English nationalist goes on a pro-military rant shocker.