English Nationalism

Killie87

On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:08, Killie87 said:

A question mainly for the posters staying down in England, would you say speaking to work colleagues, friends, family etc are they that bothered about the potential end of the Union ?

Work colleagues don't really give a f**k. A couple who are staunch Tories/Bigots, and will give it "You could survive without us", when pressed who "us" actually is, usually get a bit stuck. One of them got very upset with Mhairi Black getting sworn in, but someone made the point, if any other country did the same process, we would ridicule them for being so backwards. 

Friends are bit of a split, got a couple mates who follow England home and away and they are very pro Union. Then again a couple have Rangers as their second team which says enough. 

Parents are still in Scotland and are as pro Independence as they come. My Aunty and Uncle are moving to France shortly, and both have an Irish passport. My Nan doesn't say a great deal, but I imagine she isn't arsed either way. 

46 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Imagine going down a Wikipedia hole for reasons to slag off Sweden because somebody said something about worship of flags!

Eh?  No need to go down a Wiki  hole.  I've been to Sweden dozens of times and know that the post I was replying to was bollocks.

I’m trying to work out whether this desperation to make “Snippers” a thing is more precious, hilarious, or tragic. Despite no doubt being tickled by how frightfully clever it is, it’s not going to be a thing. Even the far right Twitter lot haven’t bothered (maybe it’s gone over Jill and Alistair McConnachie’s permaseething heads). 

50/50 in my experience English nationalism defiantly on the rise and many don't see the irony in wanting out of the EU but not understanding why Scots don't want to remain in the UK.  Half the people I know support the Union and think we should all be one country while the other half are down the too wee, too poor, too stupid the media has peddled.  You'd never survive without English handouts and you should be grateful.  The propaganda from 2014 is effectively backfiring as it was intended to scare Scots into voting no but it's now got many English asking why are they paying for us if we're subsidised, free prescriptions and University etc.  This is why the UK will not in my opinion last much longer.  Scotland not subsidised = Scotland voting Yes, Scotland subsidised = English nationalists pushing to stop funding it.  Either way it's only a matter of time as the two are incompatible.  The lack of a positive argument has caused this divide, pre social media they could get away with telling England one thing and Scotland another (see the print media) but now it can't work as it's round the web in minutes.    

On 20/12/2019 at 15:51, The_Kincardine said:

Really?  What a peculiar thing to say, especially given how proud so many Swedes are of their military heritage and their ways of Empire, with Gustavus Adolphus being revered in Sweden more than Nelson, Wellington and Churchill combined.

Maybe the picnic lover felt safe because of Sweden's massive arms industry, probably twice the size of Britain's per capita and the fact that they've reintroduced national service so it's safer to eat al fresco.   

I wonder if she'll be a supporter of Sweden's most popular party, according to a recent poll, with 24% support.  Very much in the Nationalist 'identity politics' mould of the Snippers - though they do seem to take issue with all immigration not just English people as we have over here.

Kincardine can only relate to the present by referring to the past.  Which explains a lot.

16 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

50/50 in my experience English nationalism defiantly on the rise and many don't see the irony in wanting out of the EU but not understanding why Scots don't want to remain in the UK.  Half the people I know support the Union and think we should all be one country while the other half are down the too wee, too poor, too stupid the media has peddled.  You'd never survive without English handouts and you should be grateful.  The propaganda from 2014 is effectively backfiring as it was intended to scare Scots into voting no but it's now got many English asking why are they paying for us if we're subsidised, free prescriptions and University etc.  This is why the UK will not in my opinion last much longer.  Scotland not subsidised = Scotland voting Yes, Scotland subsidised = English nationalists pushing to stop funding it.  Either way it's only a matter of time as the two are incompatible.  The lack of a positive argument has caused this divide, pre social media they could get away with telling England one thing and Scotland another (see the print media) but now it can't work as it's round the web in minutes.    

For us 45ers from 2014 it would be Schadenfreude in extreme if their lies came back to beat them😂

Personally I think it is due to constant and unrelenting attack on the concept of being British.

First there was the IRA saying "Brits out".

Then surprisingly you have Margaret Thatcher.  I can remember when there was British Rail, British Steel, British Telecom, British Airways and so on.  None of these made a distinction between Scotland, England or Wales.  Then privatIsation occurred and even if some of these still exist they often use the letter B rather than the word British.

After the British Empire disappeared a lot of people started saying it had not been a good thing.  They were probably saying earlier but nobody was listening. 

Even the British Commonwealth is politely referred to simply as the Commonwealth.

Now that Scotland and Wales have a parliament (and sometimes Northern Ireland too!) a correction is often required when talking about the British parliament.

So now you have lots of people who thought British and English were more or less the same thing being constantly corrected (and more so than before).

"I think you mean English dear".

Just my thoughts on the matter.

In my experience, which I have a bit, Swedes keep pretty quiet about their military past given they allowed the German army to cross their territory to invade and occupy their Norwegian neighbours and supplied their military machine with iron from Kiruna throughout WW2, to no little profit. The consensus is that they had little choice, but it's certainly something they'd prefer to forget. We were taught in school about the 30 years war etcetera but the emphasis was on suffering and the futility of war rather than glory.

7 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Personally I think it is due to constant and unrelenting attack on the concept of being British.

First there was the IRA saying "Brits out".

Then surprisingly you have Margaret Thatcher.  I can remember when there was British Rail, British Steel, British Telecom, British Airways and so on.  None of these made a distinction between Scotland, England or Wales.  Then privatIsation occurred and even if some of these still exist they often use the letter B rather than the word British.

After the British Empire disappeared a lot of people started saying it had not been a good thing.  They were probably saying earlier but nobody was listening. 

Even the British Commonwealth is politely referred to simply as the Commonwealth.

Now that Scotland and Wales have a parliament (and sometimes Northern Ireland too!) a correction is often required when talking about the British parliament.

So now you have lots of people who thought British and English were more or less the same thing being constantly corrected (and more so than before).

"I think you mean English dear".

Just my thoughts on the matter.

We've always had a parliament. Just that a lot of the time there's been nobody in it.

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

In my experience, which I have a bit, Swedes keep pretty quiet about their military past given they allowed the German army to cross their territory to invade and occupy their Norwegian neighbours and supplied their military machine with iron from Kiruna throughout WW2, to no little profit. The consensus is that they had little choice, but it's certainly something they'd prefer to forget. We were taught in school about the 30 years war etcetera but the emphasis was on suffering and the futility of war rather than glory.

Eh?  The Swedes troll the world with a set of the most prestigious academic prizes simply to remind the rest of us just how good they are at blowing things up.

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Eh?  The Swedes troll the world with a set of the most prestigious academic prizes simply to remind the rest of us just how good they are at blowing things up.

It wast just to test the invulnerability of their Volvos and Saabs in extreme conditions. Since they've been sold to foreign parts or gone bankrupt they've relied on psychological warfare, driving large parts of the globe insane with idiogrammatic instructions for flat pack furniture. 

8 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

We've always had a parliament. Just that a lot of the time there's been nobody in it.

Okay.  So you just need a janitor to unlock the front gate.  And here I was thinking Northern Ireland politics was more complicated than that.

Not sure how "National" this English Nationalism is. Half the idiots who post on the BBC telling Scotland to p*ss off and "you couldnt survive without us" would just as quickly write their drivel about northerners/southerners/scousers/geordies/etc.

2 hours ago, Raven said:

Not sure how "National" this English Nationalism is. Half the idiots who post on the BBC telling Scotland to p*ss off and "you couldnt survive without us" would just as quickly write their drivel about northerners/southerners/scousers/geordies/etc.

I'm a big fan of Radio 4 but yesterday's Any Answers had all of that and more.  Not just the pro-Brexit bloke whining about 'our British assets being sold off' but the Northern c***s moaning about the Jocks needing England to survive.

If you have the stomach for it (and want to punch your laptop) here is the very worst of Britain in 30 minutes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000cksh

22 hours ago, ancientnoise said:

But more so Poles, Chinese, Poonjabis, Yanks, Black folk, Pakis, Jocks and so on and so on.

A weird way of skirting round there Raven. Almost apologetic.

You're half right, as I started typing a rant and deleted most of it. But I'm not talking about the overtly in your face BNP/EDL racists, more the much bigger group that take in whatever bollocks they are fed by sections of the media and you can see the results proudly spouted out on BBC HYS for example. They've been told that the EU and its uncontrolled immigrants drain their English resources, hence Brexit. They're told that Scotland (in the form of "Wee Krankie") hates them and their union, so they lash back. They're told that Scotland spends  their "English" pounds on free prescriptions  and tuition (so often you wouldnt believe it) and they're told it in a way that makes them cry about "why are we subsidising them" not "why arent our government doing this". They're told Scotland has an unsustainable deficit and completely blank out that's what's happening within the union and that England might not be  all that  ****ing great at balancing the books either. They're told that NI is a drain on them (although some of the 'our brave boys' brigade are a bit conflicted by that one), and Wales too. And benefits claimants too draining the tax pot, although claimants isnt the word... although they'll still buy their shIte daily coffee from a multinational tax avoidance expert rather than an independent cafe.

To summarise "don't read the s*n".

England will still be a divided, unequal country of haves and have-f*ck-alls in the hypothetical situation where the EU, Scotland, NI and Wales all left them to it - and the "haves" will still think themselves superior. There's plenty more division and scapegoats to focus on.