English Nationalism

Killie87

This subject never seems to be touched by the media and it appears to me from the outside that it seems to be greatly on the rise compared to 10 or so years ago, when you see subjects like Scotland gaining independence on the news and they interview folk on the street down south the majority usually come out with the line "they would never survive without us" or some other disparaging remark.

A question mainly for the posters staying down in England, would you say speaking to work colleagues, friends, family etc are they that bothered about the potential end of the Union ?

I saw there was two types of English nationalism down there. There was the weird, right wing EDL types who have transferred what would have once been British nationalism specifically to England. Anti-foreigner, colonial hangover, weird little cretins. Nae need to go over these weirdoes

However there was a growing, sort of, liberal English nationalism that is very similar to the current "civic nationalism" Scotland is trying to promote. A lot of PoC were calling themselves English (Or English/Jamaican, Black English, English/Arab, etc.) over British. Very strongly dismissive of British as a descriptor. I think it might boil down to Britain having a colonial history which "England" doesn't? But the majority if these folk were middle class liberal London types. Kinda far removed from their parents immigrant/working class generation on a lot of levels but still a social divide between them and their white peers that they have/had growing up. I could never quite get to why associating themselves with England over Britain seemed a natural choice for them.

But regardless of politics or race or anything like that I would hazard a guess that younger people will be more likely to define themselves as English than British.

A few choice snippets from the BBC comments on the indyref2 report.

Nicola Sturgeon, south of the border are fed up hearing your vitriol & bile against the English who subsidise your tin pot assembly; from the perspective of governing for Scotlands' people you're woefully inept, presiding over a dramatic fall in educational standards, all as a consequence of your obsession with independence. I want a vote to boot you out of the UK sooner rather than later

Go away forever Scotland and take your debt ridden country with you plus that stupid cow SNP idiot. 

Will someone just stop this little dictator from talking. Part of me thinks just let them have the independence then she will stop bleating on about it, go away and the rest of the U.K. will save vast amounts from not propping up the Scots anymore!

Is Mrs Crankey still trying to persuade Scotland to destroy itself?

If the Scots choose to go it alone, without the English support, they are committing financial suicide. Furthermore, Scotland will not meet the entry requirements to join the EU or adopt the euro. The EU has 25 net takers on their books already, they will not be keen to make it 26.

Seems the love bomb from 2014 has blown up in their face. 🙄

A few choice snippets from the BBC comments on the indyref2 report.

Nicola Sturgeon, south of the border are fed up hearing your vitriol & bile against the English who subsidise your tin pot assembly; from the perspective of governing for Scotlands' people you're woefully inept, presiding over a dramatic fall in educational standards, all as a consequence of your obsession with independence. I want a vote to boot you out of the UK sooner rather than later
Go away forever Scotland and take your debt ridden country with you plus that stupid cow SNP idiot. 
Will someone just stop this little dictator from talking. Part of me thinks just let them have the independence then she will stop bleating on about it, go away and the rest of the U.K. will save vast amounts from not propping up the Scots anymore!
Is Mrs Crankey still trying to persuade Scotland to destroy itself?

If the Scots choose to go it alone, without the English support, they are committing financial suicide. Furthermore, Scotland will not meet the entry requirements to join the EU or adopt the euro. The EU has 25 net takers on their books already, they will not be keen to make it 26.

Seems the love bomb from 2014 has blown up in their face. [emoji849]
Some of the comments are just pig fucking ignorant and completely inaccurate.

5 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Seems the love bomb from 2014 has blown up in their face. emoji849.png

Absolutely, but we should just let them carry on thinking along these lines..... See here,

7 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Seems the love bomb from 2014 has blown up in their face. emoji849.png

To be fair, it's always like that on there. I saw a report on there about the Cornish independence party, that most people in Cornwall haven't even heard of, and there were thousands of comments on it telling the Cornish to go f**k themselves and demanding they get kicked out of the UK for being ungrateful subsidy junkies. It's all just rabid middle aged bigots posting on there.

Someone just posted the "But what about Orkney & Shetland Independence" line.

This is despite there not bring a candidate from the Orkney & Shetland Movement since 1987 - they polled 13%.

Last poll had support for Orkney & Shetland independence, if Scotland were independent, at 8%.

You can genuinely smell the fear from these fuckers.

To be fair, it's always like that on there. I saw a report on there about the Cornish independence party, that most people in Cornwall haven't even heard of, and there were thousands of comments on it telling the Cornish to go f**k themselves and demanding they get kicked out of the UK for being ungrateful subsidy junkies. It's all just rabid middle aged bigots posting on there.
The subsidy stuff is laughable.

It's even funnier when you point put that only London shows a "surplus" according to GERS - and that the North of England has more of a "deficit" than Scotland!!

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The subsidy stuff is laughable.

It's even funnier when you point put that only London shows a "surplus" according to GERS - and that the North of England has more of a "deficit" than Scotland!!

I got called a subsidy junkie once by a man in a pub in Coventry who was wearing tracksuit trousers and black work shoes. Appearances can be deceptive, but I'm pretty certain I'm putting more into the economy than him.

2 hours ago, Killie87 said:

A question mainly for the posters staying down in England, would you say speaking to work colleagues, friends, family etc are they that bothered about the potential end of the Union ?

Aside from the usual jokes and banter, nobody gives a hoot in the slightest.

What is going on north of the border doesn't seem to register. About anything. At all. 

Don't tell the ugly sisters though, they seem to think they're 'big' down here for some unknown reason and we don't want to upset them. 

I live in the liberal paradise, the people's republic of Bristol, so it's not exactly a representation of England as a whole. but Scottish nationalism is talked about in 3 ways.

1. FCUK OFF THEN!!!11!! you'll be crawling back when we take OUR submarines!!!!11! /  oil / government jobs, Subsidy junkies etc

2. The much worse, patronising, "I'm sure it seems great, but you're just too poor/wee/stupid"

3. The liberals - WTF were you thinking voting 'no' last time.

On the subject of English nationalism, all you ever hear is "you can't be proud to be English or people call you a racist[see Stewart Lee]" - utter horseshit, but much easier to say than, they could never be bothered with nationalism until everyone else did, and  nobody can be bothered taking the mantle back from the EDL types.

Realise that the OP asks for thoughts from posters staying in England, but I visit fairly regularly and on occasions get comments on the topic.

A sizeable percentage of the type who wanted Brexit because they didn't like subsidising Johnny Foreigner seem angry at Scots who seek Independence, pointing out that Scotland cannot survive without help from the UK pot. There's an irony in this.