Raith Rovers vs Dumbarton

7 hours ago, foreverarover said:

We hit the bar , that was it. We chased the game supposedly and created nothing. Not a shot at goal in that second half. 

Probably no value in pointing out that Smith had a header comfortably saved in the 90th minute but I'll do it anyway. 

Two shots on goal all game isn't great regardless of our squad situation. 

Jesus. Clearly still rattled at The Sons sinking 2 unanswered goals past your lot.

Not me, this defeat has been coming for months. The injustice that your club isn’t steam rolling this shit league is hurting you more than it hurts me.

I wouldn't have used the word 'dominated', but it was a fairly comfortable afternoon for the Sons. We played some neat passing football in the first half and deserved to be ahead. Rovers had their moments with Hendry orchestrating most of their attacks.
I was expecting a difficult second half, but Raith were toothless . We offered next to nothing in attack and gave away possession far too easily. However our defence coped easily with anything thrown at them. Connor Brennan didn't have a serious save to make. Our back four all had good games; Kyle Hutton had another fine match; Stuart Carswell had arguably his best game of the season and Ruaridh Langan put in a good shift.
A bad day at the office for Raith and clearly their injury list and suspensions took its toll. They will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season. The fans who booed them need a reality check.
Thinking back to August and the 6v0 drubbing at Falkirk, if you had said then we would be 5 points off the league leaders at Christmas, I would have advised a thorough health check. Jim Duffy and the players deserve huge credit for turning things around.
There is no place on this thread for such balanced and reasoned comment - please take yourself off to a Falkirk thread !

Agree with what has already been said. Dumbarton were worthy winners, they were the better team first half and got the goals they deserved. Second half they were very organised and professional and saw the game out comfortably.

The back 4 looked like the patchwork effort it was. I thought Dave McKay was excellent at Falkirk but I thought yesterday showed his weaknesses. He barely won a header and was bullied physically at times by the striker backing in. We’ve looked weak at set pieces the last two weeks but I’m happy to write that off to only having one centre back on the pitch. Hopefully that will improve once Anderson and Bene return.

Going forward was a real concern. We huffed and puffed second half without ever feeling a goal was coming. 4 goals in our last 6 tells its own story. We were obviously missing our natural full backs yesterday and it showed but that shouldn’t completely hamstring us the way it has. We have a lot of good players in the front 4 positions but none of them are in good form just now. McGlynn needs to find the right balance there and quickly. I’d imagine a centre forward will be near the top of the shopping list in January with Baird’s contract unlikely to be renewed.

Finally, a small thing but a big frustration yesterday was the amount of times second half we got the ball wide to Watson and he had to turn back inside on his right foot, killing the momentum dead. Not his fault as he isn’t left footed and was doing his best covering there. However, I would have liked to see McGlynn swap Watson and MacDonald for the last 20 minutes. Would have given us a threat down the left and Dumbarton were happy to sit on their lead with little intent to attack at that stage so the risk of being caught out at the back was minimal.

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

Agree with what has already been said. Dumbarton were worthy winners, they were the better team first half and got the goals they deserved. Second half they were very organised and professional and saw the game out comfortably.

The back 4 looked like the patchwork effort it was. I thought Dave McKay was excellent at Falkirk but I thought yesterday showed his weaknesses. He barely won a header and was bullied physically at times by the striker backing in. We’ve looked weak at set pieces the last two weeks but I’m happy to write that off to only having one centre back on the pitch. Hopefully that will improve once Anderson and Bene return.

Going forward was a real concern. We huffed and puffed second half without ever feeling a goal was coming. 4 goals in our last 6 tells its own story. We were obviously missing our natural full backs yesterday and it showed but that shouldn’t completely hamstring us the way it has. We have a lot of good players in the front 4 positions but none of them are in good form just now. McGlynn needs to find the right balance there and quickly. I’d imagine a centre forward will be near the top of the shopping list in January with Baird’s contract unlikely to be renewed.

Finally, a small thing but a big frustration yesterday was the amount of times second half we got the ball wide to Watson and he had to turn back inside on his right foot, killing the momentum dead. Not his fault as he isn’t left footed and was doing his best covering there. However, I would have liked to see McGlynn swap Watson and MacDonald for the last 20 minutes. Would have given us a threat down the left and Dumbarton were happy to sit on their lead with little intent to attack at that stage so the risk of being caught out at the back was minimal.

Anderson was bad for turning back and killing attacks yesterday too. Just when we’d be getting a bit of pressure built up we’d turn back and play balls across the back. This when we were 2-0 down. 

Baird had been poor since he came back. Lewis Allan looked decent at the start of the season but he looks poor now. Gullan and Bowie were off the boil too. All in all a shite performance all round.

6 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

I think the main issue was our midfield wasn’t up to the task. Regan had little time, and Spencer and Dingwall weren’t effective. Gullan showed effort, Baird tried, but it seems he’s done and Bowie looks tired.

In back: McKay is developing nicely, he’s not a finished product, but he’s showing signs of growing into the role of CB. Watson is improving with time, but his inaccurate crossing and unwillingness to push forward with the ball show he’s a RB or CB, versus a RWB. MacDonald is a prototype LWB or excellent LB. The absence of Miller has been felt the most, as he provided a draw for the other team to give the midfield more time and to threaten the goal.

Ideally, for East Fife, I’d feel pretty good with a back line of either Watson, McKay, SAndo, Bene, MacDonald or Miller, Watson, McKay, Bene, MacDonald. That would restore the threat from at least one of the wingbacks and give Hendry and Matthews room to maneuver. Put Spencer or Tait in with those two, and use Smith, Gullan and Allan up top and what the hell. Armstrong would be good to play, but he’s probably well out of form for this match even if able to be selected.

Edited by TxRover

A few notes from the highlights:

Brennan definitely doesn’t get anything on Dingwall’s lob. The pass from Hendry is perfection. Dumbarton’s first is going so far wide before the deflection that it’s probably an own goal from MacDonald. The free kick from which they scored their second isn’t a foul and it’s then taken a good 10 yards from where the foul was committed.

Brennan definitely doesn’t get anything on Dingwall’s lob. The pass from Hendry is perfection. Dumbarton’s first is going so far wide before the deflection that it’s probably an own goal from MacDonald. The free kick from which they scored their second isn’t a foul and it’s then taken a good 10 yards from where the foul was committed.
You should probably request that the SPFL cancel the result and award Rovers the 0-0 draw.

12 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
18 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

You should probably request that the SPFL cancel the result and award Rovers the 0-0 draw.

They usually award a 3-0 victory. I’d prefer that.