Saints v Buddies 21/12/19

2 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Just because ICT did it and it was a failure doesn’t mean it can’t be done successfully.

It does, they got a crowd of over 3000 for a Tuesday night game at Christmas against Saints, and lost money.

Youd likely need a crowd of around 6000/7000 for a St Johnstone v St Mirren game to make up for the shortfall when folk start chucking pound coins at the turnstile.

FWIW online tickets for the game have been on sale for a while now, so theyd have had to decide to cut the prices a month or so ago.

9 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

. Obika is a concern but Kerr/Gordon seem to have clicked so should be a good tussle. Biggest worry for me would be Ralston up against Foley if he plays and/or Danny Mullen who seems tricky to deal with. 

Looking forward to this one, hope the weather holds and would expect to see a pretty strong travelling support, hopefully matched by a decent home turnout. 

Ralston won't be up against Foley (if he's fit) as he's a central midfielder. Will probably be Durmus, who has been quite effective in the last two games.

Morias would be more likely to play before Mullen. He's better than Mullen. He doesn't give the defence a minutes peace, and is built like a brick shit house. He was outmuscling players about twice his height in our last two games. Has an eye for goal too.

If Foley and McGinn are both fit, we'll have a very different line up compared to Saturday. If not, then it will be Flynn at RB and U-19 player Glover at CH. 

Edited by FTOF

12 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Ralston won't be up against Foley (if he's fit) as he's a central midfielder. Will probably be Durmus, who has been quite effective in the last two games.

Morias would be more likely to play before Mullen. He's better than Mullen. He doesn't give the defence a minutes peace, and is built like a brick shit house. He was outmuscling players about twice his height in our last two games. Has an eye for goal too.

If Foley and McGinn are both fit, we'll have a very different line up compared to Saturday. If not, then it will be Flynn at RB and U-19 player Glover at CH. 

Does Durmus disappear after hes been crunched? It's an absolute NAP Ralston will try and break him in half at some point in the opening half hour.

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Does Durmus disappear after hes been crunched? It's an absolute NAP Ralston will try and break him in half at some point in the opening half hour.

I don't know. I've never seen anyone catch him.:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

I'd be surprised if Glover starts oñ Saturday. He had a bit of a mare at the weekend, and was partly at fault for all three goals. Of course, the conditions didn't help, nor did making his debut in an unsettled defence, but he didn't look ready for first team football. The worst thing would be for him to get thrown in too early and for his confidence to suffer.

9 hours ago, Hendo said:

I'd be surprised if Glover starts oñ Saturday. He had a bit of a mare at the weekend, and was partly at fault for all three goals. Of course, the conditions didn't help, nor did making his debut in an unsettled defence, but he didn't look ready for first team football. The worst thing would be for him to get thrown in too early and for his confidence to suffer.

We played Duffy against you, so it's only fair you return the favour.

Having watched back the Hearts game last night, I'm far from convinced that we've really turned the corner yet. 

Now I'm not being negative but trying to be realistic. The last 2 games have been very good away results, but you can only play what's in front of you. It's obvious Hearts are dire and there's mounting evidence that Killie are returning to mediocrity. St Mirren have a confidence not supported by results (plus ca change) but there does seem a general impression that they are playing decent football. 

Gordon is very clearly a big upgrade on Duffy and we're seeing a far better Kerr as well. Personally, I think Ralston can do a job and he's probably a liability (no doubt he should have had a straight red on Saturday). Watching Booth, yes he's more solid defensively than Tanser but he also seems to be beaten fairly easily in a Tanser-esque way. We seem to be much better at dealing with crosses when they reach the box (Zander seems less pinned to his line too) and are generally better at breaking down the opposition through the middle (McCann/Holt/Murray do a good job with this), but my concern is that this defence has not faced much quality since Motherwell so it's far to early to sit back and say 'problem solved'. 

MOH and Kennedy are good wingers and cause problems but we've been struggling to create quality chances through them, and when we do we don't always have the men in the middle, although this improved on Saturday when Hendry came on as he seems quick in getting in behind the line. I also think that what we've gained in Booth we've lost in Tanser so Kennedy is getting far fewer balls up that left channel and there's not so much support/overlap for him. 

Zander hasn't been tested for a couple of games but there's real question marks over his kicking this year for me. Don't remember that being as big a problem last year but he seems very poor in dealing with pass-backs, reluctant to take a touch and very prone to slicing. 

Main point is that we were only as good as we needed to be against Killie and Hearts without actually being especially good. 2 up front would rob us of the midfield trio that I think have been equally important as the defensive changes in stemming the tide of goals against, so I'm against that idea. 

St Mirren will be the toughest test we've faced and if we get a result, ideally one with a clean sheet, then I'll be firmly on the 'Saints Rennaissance' bandwagon and I'd expect us to deal with Hamilton and County and boost up the table. 

I think that this will be a nervy 1-0 home win with a relatively late goal and a few cards in the mix, but equally I can see a low scoring draw. 

Having watched back the Hearts game last night, I'm far from convinced that we've really turned the corner yet. 
Now I'm not being negative but trying to be realistic. The last 2 games have been very good away results, but you can only play what's in front of you. It's obvious Hearts are dire and there's mounting evidence that Killie are returning to mediocrity. St Mirren have a confidence not supported by results (plus ca change) but there does seem a general impression that they are playing decent football. 
Gordon is very clearly a big upgrade on Duffy and we're seeing a far better Kerr as well. Personally, I think Ralston can do a job and he's probably a liability (no doubt he should have had a straight red on Saturday). Watching Booth, yes he's more solid defensively than Tanser but he also seems to be beaten fairly easily in a Tanser-esque way. We seem to be much better at dealing with crosses when they reach the box (Zander seems less pinned to his line too) and are generally better at breaking down the opposition through the middle (McCann/Holt/Murray do a good job with this), but my concern is that this defence has not faced much quality since Motherwell so it's far to early to sit back and say 'problem solved'. 
MOH and Kennedy are good wingers and cause problems but we've been struggling to create quality chances through them, and when we do we don't always have the men in the middle, although this improved on Saturday when Hendry came on as he seems quick in getting in behind the line. I also think that what we've gained in Booth we've lost in Tanser so Kennedy is getting far fewer balls up that left channel and there's not so much support/overlap for him. 
Zander hasn't been tested for a couple of games but there's real question marks over his kicking this year for me. Don't remember that being as big a problem last year but he seems very poor in dealing with pass-backs, reluctant to take a touch and very prone to slicing. 
Main point is that we were only as good as we needed to be against Killie and Hearts without actually being especially good. 2 up front would rob us of the midfield trio that I think have been equally important as the defensive changes in stemming the tide of goals against, so I'm against that idea. 
St Mirren will be the toughest test we've faced and if we get a result, ideally one with a clean sheet, then I'll be firmly on the 'Saints Rennaissance' bandwagon and I'd expect us to deal with Hamilton and County and boost up the table. 
I think that this will be a nervy 1-0 home win with a relatively late goal and a few cards in the mix, but equally I can see a low scoring draw. 
Still, could be worse eh?

2 hours ago, PSJSaint said:

Not a member of the "get two up front ffs" brigade but reckon with St Mirrens defensive issues this would be the weekend to start any two of May/Hendry/Kane up front to work their centre halves.     

I'm not sure May and someone else upfront would count as playing 2 forwards.