Mo v Clyde

Fans arguing with the manager👍

Players pulling out of challenges👍

Boardroom rumour mill and financial crisis in full swing👍

Scudded by Montrose👍

Fantastic bit of nostalgia back to 12-13 or so today. 

First half we started energetically but by the end of the half were pushed right back. A couple of wee breaks for Montrose's goal (which I also thought was scored by Steeves?).

We started the second half well and really should have been level. Great long ranger from McStay tipped over the bar, an awful cross from Johnston which Goodwillie somehow turned towards goal that was also saved. A close range header from McStay blocked on the line and the rebound deflected over. Smith a run and shot into the side netting. We were so threatening that Montrose had to make a change and stiffen up their midfield, which worked, with Lyons twice seeing shots superbly saved by Mitchell. Mitchell then completely sold the second goal, sprinting out and getting nowhere near the ball, leaving an open goal that Montrose worked the ball into.

Right after that, Grant, who was at left-back by now, hit the most under-hit back-pass ever and Webster stuck it past the post. Third was from a corner kick bundled in at near post. By the fourth we were an absolute rabble, down to ten men with Duffie off injured and the rest with no idea where they were playing. A ball into the box, Petkov seemed to be favourite despite being on his own against a number of players, but it fell for the Montrose player to roll into the corner.

Mitchell cost us the crucial second but probably gets a pass because he'd made two excellent saves with his feet. Centre halves won plenty of tackles and headers, made plenty of blocks, but that pair are just strikingly ordinary. They don't win you games. To go from having Lang/Cogill to that... Duffie tried hard and was trying to play even when he clearly couldn't run, against their most dangerous player; others should look to match his effort. McMullin was beaten time and time again (some gig McNiff has competing with him/Allison for a place in the team). Grant, who was ill, was dreadful and probably shouldn't have started. Johnston threatened at times, couldn't have shown less interest at other points, including when he inexplicably didn't bother challenging for a loose ball in the box after he'd had a shot blocked. Not a player we need in a relegation scrap. Cuddihy ran around a lot without ever influencing the game. Goodwillie was completely lost until Lamont came on and started getting within 20 yards of him. Lyon came on and pulled out of a tackle within a couple of minutes.

Montrose are a better side than us. On the two games against Clyde, I'd be amazed if they didn't get into the top four. Their two full-backs irritate the life out of me every time we play against them; we're fielding midfielders, centre halves and non-league players and they've got two great defenders who bomb forward with quality. Lyons is clearly a class above this league as well. No idea what they were doing the first few games of the season but it's a shame we didn't play them then.

Need a massive effort from everyone over the next couple of games but we are clearly a club going in the wrong direction again. The second Montrose went 2-0 up, they could have ended up with any score-line. 

21 minutes ago, HughieMc said:

The minutes have been requested I believe- personally I think it’s the Board’s duty to let all supporters of the Club know how the AGM went.  
“ pleb” is not a word I’d use to describe the many supporters of the Club including yourself who choose not to be owners, and therefore do not have access to the AGM. Any Clyde supporter should, in my opinion, be made welcome at this meeting.

Capture1.JPG

1 hour ago, jd_mo said:

Back to the game for a second... Lennox kept us in it at 1 up (which I thought was Steeves' goal) with 2 excellent saves, mirrored by Clyde's keeper pulling off a similarly excellent couple of saves. But apart from that, the Santa boys offered very little.

At 2 up, Webby (who was again on form on the right) stole a horrendous defensive mix up and should have made it 3, but it was a good end to see Rennie get 2 and off the mark for the season.

We've taken 25 points from the last 10 league games which is excellent form. Given our awful start, to have achieved half of last season's brilliant points tally in less than half of the season shows what an excellent run we're on. It's still a tricky game next week against a Falkirk side who don't concede many, and then away to misfiring Forfar, but the start of the new year could see us in a very strong position.

Edit: Had to double check that, that is incredible form.

Can see you beating Falkirk next week.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Piss poor once again. Worrying times. Players not stepping up only worhty players are Mitchell (my player of the season so far) goody, grant and Howie maybe Chrissy Johnson off the bench but his worse performances are when he starts. 
Mitchell error for the second which took us away from any points.

We had a great chance saved at 1-0, it goes in it’s a different game but Sod’s law. 

We are scared to shoot from 25 yards and that’s a real bug bear of mine. Our players shat it from several 50/50’s and that’s very disappointing. I would have been happy with 8th earlier in the season and now I’d bite your baws off for it.

I’ve said before that Petrie is a good manager and it’s no surprise that a rabble of a side like Montrose are doing well under him. He’ll end up at Dundee or the likes.

8 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Too many posts about Clyde being shite.

Nowhere near enough about how utterly fantastic the Mo are. 

Couldn't agree more. I did make a post about Super Mo but a fellow supporter who was allowed onto the internet for the evening complained, explaining that I wasn't helping things, as though a post on a forum could make or break our fate on the park.

I've said warm furry things about Petrie and Mo' since he took them over and got them promoted from league two. He's took to management really quickly, done some great recruitment, and has shown a lot of tactical smarts too. He's got a good future in management if he wants it I think. Mo' themselves have got a really versatile team; they can play a lot of different ways and there's nothing of a "rabble" about them, contra what my Ukranian colleague (above) says. Just the opposite: well drilled, good mix of young and old, pace and strength. All the rest of it.

I think if the window is kind enough, they'll be in the running for fourth or better until late on in the season.

Edited by Sao Paulo

2 hours ago, TamClyde said:

Piss poor once again. Worrying times. Players not stepping up only worhty players are Mitchell (my player of the season so far) goody, grant and Howie maybe Chrissy Johnson off the bench but his worse performances are when he starts. 

Johnston's had a few good games from the start.

22 minutes ago, Sao Paulo said:

Couldn't agree more. I did make a post about Super Mo but a fellow supporter who was allowed onto the internet for the evening complained, explaining that I wasn't helping things, as though a post on a forum could make or break our fate on the park.

I've said warm furry things about Petrie and Mo' since he took them over and got them promoted from league two. He's took to management really quickly, done some great recruitment, and has shown a lot of tactical smarts too. He's got a good future in management if he wants it I think. Mo' themselves have got a really versatile team; they can play a lot of different ways and there's nothing of a "rabble" about them, contra what my Ukranian colleague (above) says. Just the opposite: well drilled, good mix of young and old, pace and strength. All the rest of it.

I think if the window is kind enough, they'll be in the running for fourth or better until late on in the season.

We were well beaten. I gave Monty praise, as I should. Rabble is a throwaway comment in which I would like us to be in all honesty. 

Surprised to read above that Duffie was injured.

Is he genuinely made of plasticine?
Dry brittle plasticine.

No idea why we keep re-signing him. He's played less than 40 games in two and a half seasons (including many sub appearances). He doesn't often impress me when he does play.

We've also given McNiff, another poor fullback, a two year contract.

Added to Rankin, who appears to still be some distance from full fitness, that's a lot of our available funding gone.

To be fair, Lennon has also signed the excellent Grant and Rumsby.

In my opinion we re-signed too many League two quality players after the euphoria of the playoff final.

I think 8th is now our target and that looks optimistic on current form.

At 4-0 it looks like a hiding and frankly it could have been more but for Mitchell in goal and a couple of missed one on ones.

Having said that, I think Clyde were unlucky to go is a goal down at half-time as they looked quick and sharp, even into the second half. BUT, they didn't score and then gave away a second goal and fell away. In the end what should have been at least a point for Clyde could have ended up a seven goal rout.

Danny Lennon should know where the problems lie, it was obvious yesterday. A good side is built on a solid defence then through midfield, but it doesn't end there. You have to score goals and those goals have to come from not just a lone striker.

I agree with a comment earlier in the thread that Clyde must focus on beating those below them this season and go for survival in L1. It's a hard league and anyone saying it's little better than L2 has no idea what they are talking about. You just can't expect to beat anybody (whatever the name of the team), you have to slog it out every game.