Spin, Lies and Videophones

dirty dingus

It's hard work trying to engage with politics with the amount of fake news being pumped out, is there anyway to hold politicians to account except obviously voting them out. With fact checking sources at hand should the media have a rebuttlal section at the end of each primetime news broadcast to highlight spin and lies told? I think this would be the only way to stop it being so prevalent but unfortunately I think the media are already in too deep and complicit in the muddying of the waters. I also believe that is the reason why there is so much negative and aggresive behaviour on social media towards politicians as the frustration of them getting away with treating the public as mugs leads to anger and a lack of trust in all parties and politicians.

17 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Or they are simply nasty fucks who can't take or understand another person's political view point and get all tribal. At least most politicians attempt to debate with the opposition, if fact most enjoy the sparring.

The can enjoy being a politician  because their decisions such as unneeded austerity have absolutly no impact on themselves.

Edited by dirty dingus

All politicians spin but I think the last few years have seen things ratchet up in terms of blatant lies.

88% of Tory ads are at least partial lies, compared to 0% of Labour. They’re not ‘all the same’ at the moment, there’s a deliberate concerted policy to lie and obfuscate from the Conservative Party. ‘£350 million a week’ and ‘40 new hospitals’ are career enders ten years ago.

It’s the same tactic that worked for Trump in the US, and by sheer coincidence a lot of the same people are involved. There will be a lot written about this period in years to come, and I can’t see very much of it being positive.

4 hours ago, Snafu said:

So its perfectly alright to be a c**t to every politician because they are a politician regardless?

What if we removed every politician up and down the country from decision making, what system would replace that?

edit: I forgot to mention not all politicians come from privileged backgrounds and almost anyone can become a politician.

I didn't say it's alright to be a c**t to every politician but I can understand why folk do act like c***s to c***s like IDS,Patel, McVey, Mogg and Johnson.

Not all politicians come from privelaged background but it helps  https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/these-figures-show-how-out-of-touch-uk-politicians-are-from-everyone-else/

edit - point 2 I wouldn't remove every politician but I'd have better scrutiney of their outside interests and have proportional representaion. 

Edited by dirty dingus

10 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

It's hard work trying to engage with politics with the amount of fake news being pumped out, is there anyway to hold politicians to account except obviously voting them out. With fact checking sources at hand should the media have a rebuttlal section at the end of each primetime news broadcast to highlight spin and lies told? I think this would be the only way to stop it being so prevalent but unfortunately I think the media are already in too deep and complicit in the muddying of the waters. I also believe that is the reason why there is so much negative and aggresive behaviour on social media towards politicians as the frustration of them getting away with treating the public as mugs leads to anger and a lack of trust in all parties and politicians.

The whole tone is set by totally unelected newspaper owners who can say whatever they like and then print a retraction on page 32.  The sooner their power base is destroyed the sooner politicians and everybody else will be more accountable.   Can't see it happening anytime soon.