Stranraer v East Fife

Aye, not pretty stuff at all but a really hard fought win.

The first half was the worst half of football I've seen this season by some distance. Both teams went 5 in the middle and if was more or less just an over-congested scrap with nobody getting any time on the ball and very few chances created by either team. It very much had the feel of a first goal's the winner type game.

Second half wasn't much better but did open up a bit after Ross Davidson scored an excellent goal that snuck in at the keeper's near post. It was a bit more end to end after that, still with neither team creating many clear chances. a moment of comedy sealed the win as a Stranraer defender tried to take the ball round Ryan Wallace as he was lying down in the box. The defender ran straight into him, the ball broke for Dunsmore who just squared it to Agnew for an open goal.

Plus points are that we scrapped for the points in an awful game, something we haven't always been able to do this season. The defence looked very solid, Stranraer managed to create very little despite having a decent amount of the ball in our third and launching plenty of balls into the box.

I was wondering why Stranraer were so detached in 10th after a decent display at Bayview earlier this season. They're clearly a team who can battle it out but it doesn't look like they've got too much more than that. Seen most teams twice now and Stranraer look like the team with the least football in them. I'd be surprised if they stayed up.

7 minutes ago, Moonball said:

Absolute fantasy land stuff from Stevie Farrell there I'm afraid. Most managers will come and give pretty raw interviews in the wake of a defeat but I haven't seen anything as delusional as that this season.

The only difference between Stranraer and East Fife is that East fife score goals? Well, apart from the fact that Stranraer have also conceded almost double the number of goals that East Fife have this season.

Edited by Gordon EF

Just watched the 'highlight's, glad I didn't travel to watch that display, my son's under 15 team play better football [emoji23] Good three points on the road though, winning ugly is better than not winning at all! Mon the Fife [emoji1665][emoji169]

40 minutes ago, Rosie7 said:

Changes at Stranrear ?
How long does the Manager have now? -
Have the club accepted relegation ?-
It will be league 2 next season with smaller crowds, smaller budget, it’s difficult to recover from that.
Why are we waiting on the inevitable...

The manager isn't the problem, so if the club used the Rangers money to pay him off it would be a massive waste. By all accounts we have the third lowest attendance and one of the smallest budgets in the SPFL, we need to sign a few players in January to turn it around - most importantly a striker which is the main shortcoming in our squad.

Just watched the 'highlight's, glad I didn't travel to watch that display, my son's under 15 team play better football [emoji23] Good three points on the road though, winning ugly is better than not winning at all! Mon the Fife [emoji1665][emoji169]
Horse's for courses. Playing "better" football was never going to win that game, probably would have cost us the game due to the conditions.
Being glad you didn't travel to watch the team ultimately win is a bit sad though.

I have never criticised our manager and I usually agree with what he says , but IF he was solely responsible for the signing of our players then there must be questions over his decisions. From day one this season the squad has not been good enough and the quality in the squad in my opinion has been getting poorer season on season which can be related to our ever worsening league positions .

I do appreciate our small budget and low crowds but I feel the club use this sometimes as an excuse to deviate responsibility from themselves. There is no doubt that success breads success but the opposite must be said for failure as it can become acceptable ( or excuses are made for it  ie injuries ,referees ,our location , bad luck ) when the facts is we are not good enough. One thing for sure is that when things are not working then the wrong thing to do is continue in the same manner , something has to change and unfortunately if we need to wait til January it might be too late , our downward slide has been happening for several seasons now . I dont know the answer but if you take Montrose for example they were at the bottom with us a few months ago but whatever they have done they are flying now and must have made changes ..   as a pessimist I fear that another season like this in div 2 could see us out of senior football and the potential end of our beloved club .... whatever it is NOW is the time for change with the benefit of funds coming from cup game ....... 

The manager isn't the problem, so if the club used the Rangers money to pay him off it would be a massive waste. By all accounts we have the third lowest attendance and one of the smallest budgets in the SPFL, we need to sign a few players in January to turn it around - most importantly a striker which is the main shortcoming in our squad.

Why was he not on a year to year contract then!

Only a team marooned at the foot of the table could fail to get any credit after a performance like yesterday. Stranraer had us on the back foot for much of the game and played well throughout. 

We defended well, Chris Higgins and Stewart Murdoch were yet again rock solid and Brett Long kept us in it with two outstanding saves. In the second half Ross Davidson began to impose himself in the game and we started to get a bit of joy in the middle of the park. Conditions were admittedly extremely challenging with the gusting winds and a pitch that cut up rapidly.

Massive  credit to all the supporters who made the long journey down with all the diversions and terrible weather.