Airdrie Diamonds vs. Peters Head Blues.

Well Well Well......

Airdrie welcome the blue men of the north to the Penny Cars Stadium this Saturday.  How will Airdrie bounce back after defeat in Kirkcaldy? Will we appeal Fordyces red card? if not, does Josh Kerr slot into that position?

IMO Callum Smith has struggled the last 2 games.  I'm one of his biggest fans and totally appreciate the work he puts in, but wee things just aren't coming off for him.  I still wouldn't swap him for anyone else in the squad though and I'm sure he'll be desperate to kick on again.  I hope Kurtis Roberts isn't injured and was only taken off as a precaution, its no surprise that our "winning run" included him playing through the middle of the park.  The energy he adds to that team beside Millar is priceless and he's really one I'd be hopefully has a bright future in the game at a higher level.

If we really want to be considered contenders, this game will go a long way to proving that and its a definite test of the guys mental strength and "will to win"

Would be just like us to follow up our run with two defeats on the bounce but hopefully the players attack the game with some frustrating at losing the winning streak and I would think a fast start could well see us to 3 points. 

Really need to look to win these games given fixtures elsewhere but it won't be easy and if we don't approach it with the right level of focus and determination then we could be caught cold. 

20 minutes ago, Blue-Toon said:

Ryan Conroy warmed up for his return to his old stamping ground with 2 goals and a man of the match award against Stranraer. Hopefully he can repeat this form against his old club.

He'll definitely get a warm welcome. Presumably Leitch and Stevenson could play so they will all be welcomed. The last game featured him and he was quite good, if given space. That will not happen this week if we keep pressure applied as in recent form. That depends on how we recover from the knocks at Raith. We have drawn with Stranraer but beat them recently, so it will be another close game. There was one a few years ago (I think) where we led 3-1 with 12 minutes to go but lost 3-4.  December 2015? I hope it does not happen again. 

I think they either slot Kerr in for Fordyce or they put McKay there and bring wedderburn back in. Think I'd go with Kerr.

re Smith, I want to give him time to play through his wee "bad patch" but hope he doesn't make it worse.

5 minutes ago, Moon said:

I think they either slot Kerr in for Fordyce or they put McKay there and bring wedderburn back in. Think I'd go with Kerr.

re Smith, I want to give him time to play through his wee "bad patch" but hope he doesn't make it worse.

My sentiments exactly regarding Fordyce. Kerr is a like for like replacement (albeit not as experienced) and means McKay isn't getting shunted about either.

The big thing for me is Roberts.  If he plays, I think we can win but I think it seriously dents our hopes if Wedderburn plays, and I don't mean to sound bad when I say that.  Hawkshaw tries and looks to get forward and create, Wedderburn can pick a pass if given time but none of them can do the dirty work, then back it up with a 60 yard supporting run.  We'll see what Saturday brings and I can only hope for a win against one of the form teams in the division!

8 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

My sentiments exactly regarding Fordyce. Kerr is a like for like replacement (albeit not as experienced) and means McKay isn't getting shunted about either.

The big thing for me is Roberts.  If he plays, I think we can win but I think it seriously dents our hopes if Wedderburn plays, and I don't mean to sound bad when I say that.  Hawkshaw tries and looks to get forward and create, Wedderburn can pick a pass if given time but none of them can do the dirty work, then back it up with a 60 yard supporting run.  We'll see what Saturday brings and I can only hope for a win against one of the form teams in the division!

I agree and it shows how weird this League is that Peterheid are now a form team. Forfar also appear to have stopped the rot by not losing. Have Clyde stopped scoring which could mean we have an interesting next 2 games?

16 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I agree and it shows how weird this League is that Peterheid are now a form team. Forfar also appear to have stopped the rot by not losing. Have Clyde stopped scoring which could mean we have an interesting next 2 games?

It is an odd league where on their day any one of the teams can beat any of the others, think saying we are now a form team after losing to the 2nd bottom team 2 weeks ago & beating the bottom team last week hardly qualifies as super form. In saying that for some time we have been playing ok for parts of games but are struggling to convert chances into goals & wins.

7 hours ago, peternapper said:

It is an odd league where on their day any one of the teams can beat any of the others, think saying we are now a form team after losing to the 2nd bottom team 2 weeks ago & beating the bottom team last week hardly qualifies as super form. In saying that for some time we have been playing ok for parts of games but are struggling to convert chances into goals & wins.

I agree it is an odd league. It would be true to say it is not "super form" but I think the last five games have you in 3rd place which would no doubt delight many in the final week.  We have now managed to beat everyone at least once, bar our bogy Raith, so I hope we can do a doubler on Saturday in keeping your chances unconverted. Enjoy the trip if you are coming-cold weather back again

47 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I agree it is an odd league. It would be true to say it is not "super form" but I think the last five games have you in 3rd place which would no doubt delight many in the final week.  We have now managed to beat everyone at least once, bar our bogy Raith, so I hope we can do a doubler on Saturday in keeping your chances unconverted. Enjoy the trip if you are coming-cold weather back again

Had to look back the highlights of the game at Balmoor as I could not remember it off hand. We certainly competed ok & were undone by a softish penalty. Hopefully we can compete again on Saturday with possibly the score the other way round. There have been a couple games this season we did not turn up but on the whole we have been doing ok but not getting a break in front of goal, will be down as usual & would settle for a scabby og as a winner if its for us.

Should be a good game.  Big McAllister on his own gave our defence as tough a time as I've seen from any player this season. Conroy is a better player than he's given credit for.  If he's given time and space to pick a pass which our midfield tend to do he could cause problems.  I still think we should be taking the points though. Given our recent form and we should be trying to get back to winning ways and put the raith game behind us. Big enough incentive Could be back at the top if raith dont win.  2-0 to the diamonds.  

1 hour ago, peternapper said:

Had to look back the highlights of the game at Balmoor as I could not remember it off hand. We certainly competed ok & were undone by a softish penalty. Hopefully we can compete again on Saturday with possibly the score the other way round. There have been a couple games this season we did not turn up but on the whole we have been doing ok but not getting a break in front of goal, will be down as usual & would settle for a scabby og as a winner if its for us.

We will disagree on the softish penalty but it was close. A scabby goal would do me as well.  Enjoy safe travel

Looking forward to this game. Last week was a sore one as was a very close game but said for years if we try hard and get beat that's all we can ask. My only concern is was on Saturday when raith were down to 10 men and the clock started ticking down we seemed to run out of ideas and resort to the long ball again. Punting the ball into the box which seemed more of a hit n hope.  

https://www.airdriefc.com/1920news/111219/Christie’s-back-the-Diamonds?fbclid=IwAR2E5ZFmgmWCmr0V98XWJz6DVA_BUh4VvviC18QiwdOzKpmUeZ9CZM1iOXc

We are delighted to announce Christie the Baker as the club’s new official pie supplier - bringing a variety of their award-winning pies, sausage rolls and cakes to the Penny Cars Stadium.

Hungry Diamonds fans can now look forward to Christie’s delicious pies and treats starting with this Saturday’s League One match against Peterhead.

Well hello there. 

40 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

https://www.airdriefc.com/1920news/111219/Christie’s-back-the-Diamonds?fbclid=IwAR2E5ZFmgmWCmr0V98XWJz6DVA_BUh4VvviC18QiwdOzKpmUeZ9CZM1iOXc

We are delighted to announce Christie the Baker as the club’s new official pie supplier - bringing a variety of their award-winning pies, sausage rolls and cakes to the Penny Cars Stadium.

Hungry Diamonds fans can now look forward to Christie’s delicious pies and treats starting with this Saturday’s League One match against Peterhead.

Well hello there. 

Now if only we can figure out how to avoid burning them.

I mean, a bit of charring has never actually stopped me from eating them but it would be nice.

1 hour ago, stuartcraig said:

Now if only we can figure out how to avoid burning them.

I mean, a bit of charring has never actually stopped me from eating them but it would be nice.

To be fair I've always found the pies at least reasonable, but yeah that always helps. 

The addition of cakes is a nice wee deal sweetener anawl. 

To be fair I've always found the pies at least reasonable, but yeah that always helps. 
The addition of cakes is a nice wee deal sweetener anawl. 

What kind of deviant eats cakes at a football match?

Nothing sweet will ever pass my lips at Brookfield, with the possible exception of a bar of macaroon or a Wagon Wheel.

20 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Ah well the result on Saturday is immaterial now just hope your new pies live up to the Forfar bridies at our last away game, also unlikely that your stewards will position themselves about 18 inch in front of our faces like that neep at Station Park did. 😵 

Quite agree.  This surely has been a change of priorities from the the club.  Never mind challenging for the top on points as long as we are 1st place on best pie.  Having sampled the mighty forfar bridie its going to be a tough challenge for the staff but a nice wee cream bun or one of those wee minty things with the raspberry can only improve attendance.  Think I'll miss breakfast just so I can sample more of the tasty treats.