St Mirren vs Livingston, 14/12/19 15:00

We're not really into must-win territory yet, but a victory here for either side would be a massive boost for them. Having said that, a defeat for Livi here wouldn't drag them into trouble as much as drag us away from it. If results elsewhere go as you'd expect at the weekend, there could be some fresh air above Hamilton and St Johnstone.

But it won't be that simple: we have got real, major injury problems at the back. Ironic, really, as that was our strongest area at the start of the season. But injuries to Broadfoot, MacKenzie and, now, P. McGinn have left us with two fit first-team defenders in McLoughlin and Waters, both of whom are on loan and might not be here after January.

I'm sure Livi won't be shy about targeting our weak areas.

Tough to call this one. I'll play it safe and say 1-1.

I'd be happy enough with a draw if we win our home game against County, a win though would be massive in putting some distance between us and the teams below us.

Main thing for me is for us to not bottle it if we get a goal or two up, and start bringing on defensive players to sit in and hold onto our lead, that tactic hasn't ended well for us this season, would rather we just keep it going like we did against Killie and keep the pressure off our defence.

Our away form is shite though so not getting carried away, expecting a tough game and just hope we take something from it.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

As has been said our away form isn’t great, it’s not that we’ve not played well away from home I feel we have done but again as has been said we tend to sit back and invite pressure onto us late in games. 

Having said that, I feel we are back to what we do best, put teams under pressure, play to our strengths and the last two games I’ve been very happy and it’s given me hope going into this one. 

Only change that could potentially happen would be Robinson in for Souda but I think we will go same again, we played some really tidy football against Killie so tough to change that side. 

A win for either side is massive, I’d take a point but don’t see why we can’t win this one. 

I think both teams will be seeing this one as particularly winnable, given the league positions. Still can't understand the Hamilton negativity at the Tony Mac... If the same players are available for selection on Saturday then I think we stick with that team.

The lad Magennis is always a good watch, too.

Would be very harsh to drop anyone from the starting 11 after the Killie game. If St Mirren are struggling with defensive injuries then we should be putting as much pressure as we can on there with Dykes, Souda and Lawless running at them. A win here would be massive for our season and give us a nice boost as we head into an interesting run of fixtures.

2 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Would be very harsh to drop anyone from the starting 11 after the Killie game. If St Mirren are struggling with defensive injuries then we should be putting as much pressure as we can on there with Dykes, Souda and Lawless running at them. A win here would be massive for our season and give us a nice boost as we head into an interesting run of fixtures.

Playing devil's advocate a bit here but can you recall much in the way of end product from Souda? End product being goals (not many) and assists - can't fault him for stepovers and some good tracking back on Saturday.

He kinda assisted with his free kick into the box for our first goal, Lamie headed and Guthrie pounced on the knock down but Soudas delivery set it up, his corners are good too, i'm sure we've scored a few from them. He has scored goals in the reserves and 2 in the betfred cup games, none in the league yet though.

Thought Souda, Lawless, Pittman, Sibbald and Dykes all played well together, all laying off balls and setting each other up.

20 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

He kinda assisted with his free kick into the box for our first goal, Lamie headed and Guthrie pounced on the knock down but Soudas delivery set it up, his corners are good too, i'm sure we've scored a few from them. He has scored goals in the reserves and 2 in the betfred cup games, none in the league yet though.

Thought Souda, Lawless, Pittman, Sibbald and Dykes all played well together, all laying off balls and setting each other up.

Oh yea, that's totally right about the free kick on Sat 😅 Slipped my mind! Agree the forward players were linking up very nicely on Sat.

Playing devil's advocate a bit here but can you recall much in the way of end product from Souda? End product being goals (not many) and assists - can't fault him for stepovers and some good tracking back on Saturday.
His deliveries are usually brilliant. He put a few good balls across the box against Killie where all that was required was a tap in. I'm sure every goal Lithgow has scored this season has been assisted by Souda too.

First half, Souda won the header which began the move for the Pittman chance. Second half he provided the assist to the assist for the opening two goals. His crossed free kick for the first, then he pounced on a poor Killie clearance and picked out a pass to Lawless who crossed for the second goal. Souda, Lawless, Pittman, Dykes, Sibbald and Lawson are all on the same wavelength as each other and I hope Holt continues to pick as many of them in the same team as he can. 

Edited by Guest

19 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I think it will be more likely you'll use your height advantage,  rather than running at our defence.  Our makeshift defence coped very comfortably against Hamilton last Saturday, probably because they didn't use their set pieces well. 

Having said that , I was impressed with the running of your forward players against Killie. 

No idea who'll be fit for this weekend McGinn could br out leaving us 2 fit defenders if thats the case an aerial bombardment from Livi could absolutely destory the backline whoever it may be.

Its kinda a quiet but would an emergency loan of sorts come into Goodwins thinking no idea what the terms of so called loan is needed. Probably better throwing one of the young team into the team who has been in and around the squad but 4 games until window surely something he's got to be looking at. Letting Baird has come back to bite him now on squal selection anyway

25 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:

No idea who'll be fit for this weekend McGinn could br out leaving us 2 fit defenders if thats the case an aerial bombardment from Livi could absolutely destory the backline whoever it may be.

Its kinda a quiet but would an emergency loan of sorts come into Goodwins thinking no idea what the terms of so called loan is needed. Probably better throwing one of the young team into the team who has been in and around the squad but 4 games until window surely something he's got to be looking at. Letting Baird has come back to bite him now on squal selection anyway

Emergency loan not allowed for Premiership teams.  We could sign someone who's without a club but I reckon we'll probably limp on till the window opens. As you said , time to give youth a chance if P McGinn is out. 

Hopefully Foley is back. I've not seen any timescale given for any of the injured players. 

Baird has played pretty much every minute since he went to Morton. Had he stayed Hamilton would have been the first game time he'd have likely seen this season. Yes we could use him for a couple of games now but I still think it was the right decision for him as a player and for us as he'll come back match sharp.

3 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Don't think Accies are the best opposition attack to gauge your defence, not if they played as negatively as they did against us, 0 shots on target against us two weekends ago.

Since it is a new defence due to injuries and have only played one game then it is the only way to gauge them.

3 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Since it is a new defence due to injuries and have only played one game then it is the only way to gauge them.

Yeah, I meant on how good they are. Accies barely made any attempt at getting forward to try and score against us, maybe they were different against you but it didn't look like they were from what I read on your match thread. 

Anyhoo, we're a bit more of an attacking threat keeping it on the deck than we were a couple of weeks ago, Dykes looks like he's back fully fit now and our mid 3 playing in behind him are pretty mobile too. We do like an aerial bombardment from set pieces right enough.