The Well v A club from Govan

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He quite clearly does the GIRUY gesture to Motherwell fans, the exact same thing McFadden was given a three game suspension for with us.

It was a two-match suspension as the article linked above clearly points out.

Just now, craigkillie said:

It was a two-match suspension as the article linked above clearly points out.

*shrugs shoulders* Regardless, theres previous examples of players getting punished for the GIRUY gesture towards away fans, so Morelos and Rangers fans can have no complaints.

8 minutes ago, Dele said:

Are folk genuinely thinking Morelos' celebration is an 'obscene gesture'? 

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He quite clearly does the GIRUY gesture to Motherwell fans, the exact same thing McFadden was given a three game suspension for with us.

XLXjN5.gif

Edited by RandomGuy.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He quite clearly does the GIRUY gesture to Motherwell fans

He really isn't. 

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Shooshing fans or cupping your ear isnt obscene but if you make a point of changing direction and running up to opposing fans and doing that, you are liable to be booked. Thems the rules. Only an idiot breaks rules they know about then complains.

Absolutely. He can have no complaints for antagonising the crowd. The issue I'm having is folk saying him doing his fist pump thing is an 'obscene gesture'. 

Just now, Dele said:

He really isn't. 

Absolutely. He can have no complaints for antagonising the crowd. The issue I'm having is folk saying him doing his fist pump thing is an 'obscene gesture'. 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

XLXjN5.gif

You're at it if you're claiming thats a fist pump. Its clearly not.

Just now, Dele said:

He really isn't. 

The best description I can give that is the "up ye" gesture.  As gestures go, aye its an obscenity. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

You're at it if you're claiming thats a fist pump. Its clearly not.

It clearly is, its given you a reason to fly in with your usual "we were given X bet they don't get the same!" shtick so I'll just let you carry on making out the world is against St Johnstone. 

Harry Kane is another who does it nearly every time he scores. 

1 minute ago, Dele said:

It clearly is, its given you a reason to fly in with your usual "we were given X bet they don't get the same!" shtick so I'll just let you carry on making out the world is against St Johnstone. 

Harry Kane is another who does it nearly every time he scores. 

:lol: Kane gives a wee fist pump...

Spoiler

image.jpg

... which is absolutely nothing close to what Morelos has done. Morelos is on the ground, and holding the GIRUY gesture in place.

If you can read, you'll see it wasn't me who brought St Johnstone into it either.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

:lol: Kane gives a wee fist pump...

Reveal hidden contents

image.jpg

.. which is absolutely nothing close to what Morelos has done. Morelos is on the ground, and holding the GIRUY gesture in place.

:lol:

"He's on the ground holding it in place!!" 

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

*shrugs shoulders* Regardless, theres previous examples of players getting punished for the GIRUY gesture towards away fans, so Morelos and Rangers fans can have no complaints.

What examples would they be then? One has been described in this thread, i can provide two who weren't punished for the exact same gesture

8 minutes ago, Dele said:

:lol:

"He's on the ground holding it in place!!" 

That's the action that makes it more than a fist pump, and why he was sent off for it.

Hilarious,  I agree.

Even Rangers fans on RangersMedia are saying it was a yellow card offence...

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 minute ago, 54_and_counting said:

What examples would they be then? One has been described in this thread, i can provide two who weren't punished for the exact same gesture

Just because people have got off with it before doesn't mean it's the wrong decision. 

There can be some blurring of the lines when comparing the Morelos incident to others that are "similar", unless it's done in the context of the applicable part of the Laws:

A player must be cautioned if:

• in the opinion of the referee, he makes gestures which are provocative, derisory or inflammatory
  • [other cases]

The key word there is "must". I don't think anyone would say that the bullet isn't applicable, as it exactly matches the gesture involved. Pundits are fond of saying: "We've all seen them given!", when I suspect they usually mean: "We've all seen incidents that appear comparable to this one, due to my proud ignorance of the Laws, with referees making a different decision which appears inconsistent to me, again because of my ignorance!" In some places, such as this, the Laws say "must" - and that isn't sloppiness on the part of the legislators.

Today's gesture, despite what people might claim, didn't "give the ref a decision to make", any more than if Morelos had removed his short after scoring.

On a side note, the word "gesture" can be a significant between this and to other cases. Running to the opposition fans is, as far as I can tell, not specified to be sanctioned at all.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Just because people have got off with it before doesn't mean it's the wrong decision. 

Thats the issue, theres absolutely no consistency, the SFA and their rules are a fucking shambles

Either every gesture to away fans is a booking or it isn't, how hard is that to implement

2 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Not having read the whole thread, i take it there is forumwide condemnation about the motherwell fans behaviour including the throwing of objects at rangers players 

2 minutes ago, bennett said:

I'm sure that Motherwell will investigate the throwing of objects at players.

A hot drink is thrown in the direction of Rangers players from the Motherwell end

Surprised it took this long for whataboutery to strike...

Just now, 54_and_counting said:

Thats the issue, theres absolutely no consistency, the SFA and their rules are a fucking shambles

Either every gesture to away fans is a booking or it isn't, how hard is that to implement

Agreed.