New Zealand Volcano Erupts

Was there any forewarning of an eruption?

On 3 December, geological hazard monitoring website GeoNet warned "the volcano may be entering a period where eruptive activity is more likely than normal", although it added "the current level of activity does not pose a direct hazard to visitors".

University of Auckland associate professor Jan Lindsay said the alert level was recently raised from one to two. "There was a heightened level of unrest and everyone was aware," she said.

"[The volcano] has a persistently active hydrothermal system... if gases build up under a block of clay or mud they can be released quite suddenly," Prof Lindsay said.

"It's possible that there's no magma involved, that it's just a phreatic eruption - a steam eruption. We don't know yet."

Hmmm....

• Jacksgranda changed the title to New Zealand Volcano Erupts

Unlikely to be any more survivors so up to 30 dead is the latest word. NZ barely makes the news for decades and now it's just a litany of disasters. I blame Lord of the Rings.

Edited by welshbairn

3 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

"It was still safe-ish but they were trying to limit the group sizes [of people visiting the volcano]."

very much looking forward to this line of defence being used in court.

On the other hand, you'd imagine it might raise eyebrows to come to court and say you expected to be safe fucking about around an active volcano.

Quite frankly, if you are stupid enough to go inside an active volcano then you have what's coming to you and get no sympathy from me. Not that the charred corpses will be particularly bothered by my lack of sympathy either way right enough. 

3 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Quite frankly, if you are stupid enough to go inside an active volcano then you have what's coming to you and get no sympathy from me. Not that the charred corpses will be particularly bothered by my lack of sympathy either way right enough. 

No thoughts and prayers to the family from me. f**k em