The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2020

Week 14 update

f**k me, there's hunners of them

First up, Honor Blackman: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11162866

What I've learned today is that she was 39 when she played Pussy Galore. It's remarkable now to think that someone's first big film role playing a character with that name who exists to get pumped by James Bond could be a female rights icon, but there you go. I also found this quote on her Wikipedia page:

Following the death of Margaret Thatcher in April 2013, when asked about her thoughts on Thatcher, Blackman responded:

She's not my idea of Heaven I have to say. Although she did some good things in her time, she was merciless about the unions. I'm not too happy about the Falklands either. We lost men, we took injuries and we blew up a ship. I suppose we need it for a base, but my common sense tells me that it does belong more to Argentina than it does to us. Lots of people may throw things at me for saying that about Thatcher, but hopefully not during the performance. She was a powerful figure, but she did damn all for empowering women. She didn’t surround herself with any women whatsoever or encourage women to come into politics or do anything in particular. She could have been a quite wonderful role model.

Some burd. Just make sure you google her actual name and not her most famous character's. Blackman died at 94, so she's worth 31 Base Points. She was a Deadly Duo for @ICTJohnboy and @statts1976uk, so she gets an extra 25 for a total of 56 points each.

====================

Up next, Leonard "Nipper" Read: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-52201667

If that means nothing to you...

Former Det Ch Supt Leonard "Nipper" Read arrested notorious east London gangsters Ronnie and Reggie Kray in May 1968, after trailing them for years.

He later wrote two autobiographies of his exploits, and was played by Christopher Eccleston in the 2015 biopic film Legend about the twins.

Mr Read was also a former chairman of British Boxing Board of Control.

Sounds like quite a life. The Guardian's website now requires you to register to read its articles and I give it three weeks before I cave and bother, since their obituaries are usually the best. Read died at 95 so he was worth 30 Base Points. He was a Solo Shot for @ToBeSomeone, for a total of 80.

=====================

Up, er, last, is news that's come through in the last hour, the racing driver Stirling Moss: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52261216

It might be a bit too soon to get properly effusive obituaries, but Autosport seems to have had stuff ready for a while. Enjoy this recounting of his 10 greatest races: https://www.autosport.com/f1/feature/10050/sir-stirling-moss-10-greatest-drives I think my favourite is number 4, an exhibition race held by the BRDC because Britain didn't like that year's F1 regulations:

Remarkably, on lap 54, he overtook second-man Brabham again. To lap him.

"Moss was still hammering round at a seemingly impossible pace, his passage through Woodcote being something to behold," said our race report. "It was a shattering demonstration of his unrivalled genius as a wet-weather driver."

After 2h41m of a race in which many drivers - including future world champion John Surtees, McLaren and Hill - had been caught out by the conditions, Moss took the flag a lap clear of Brabham and two laps ahead of everyone else.

"Moss is almost in a class by himself when he is driving a suitable car," argued Autosport. "As regards wet-road driving, Moss must now be classed as the fastest of all, even taking into account the uncanny skill of the late Rudolf Caracciola."

"I really enjoyed driving in the wet because other people hated it so much," said Moss in a previously unpublished 2016 Autosport interview.

"I'd go round saying, 'This is fabulous'. You've got to have confidence with what you're doing in the wet.

"The rain increased my opportunity and that was probably my best win in the wet. It was pouring - you could hardly see out of the car."

There are a lot of videos I could share of him - the prospect of a chat between him and Lewis Hamilton almost won, purely for the difference in their respective appearances - but reading about old motor races like that doesn't really do them justice. You don't see these lunatics driving giant cigar tubes with thin tyres, where their head is the roll bar, and the track is all straight lines through a forest. Like the Belgian circuit of Spa-Francochamps was in the 50s:

Moss died at 90, so he's worth 35 Base Points for @Fuctifano, @lolls, @peasy23 and @The_Craig.

=====================

Additionally! Eddie Large died last week and was a Solo Shot for @sureiknowhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52136768

Continuing the theme of things being different in the old days, how many comedians would you get now forming double acts with people heckling them? Large died because of Covid-19 (along with other health problems), which might be a first for us this year. He was 78 so he's worth 47 Base Points, plus 50 for the Solo Shot for a total of 97

After all of that, the standings now look like this:

1. Bishop Briggs 242
2. pub car king 223
3. ToBeSomeone 174

4. JustOneCornetto 173
5. sureiknow 144
6. weejack 140
7. Ned Nederlander 127

8. alta-pete, sparky88 124
10. statts1976uk 123
11. Ben Twilly, ICTJohnboy 107

13. Musketeer Gripweed 96
14. thistledo, Hamish's Passenger 94
16. Arch Stanton 85
17. Fuctifano, The_Craig 83
19. weirdcal 82
20. sleazy 77

21. 101 63
22. lichtgilphead, Melanius Mullarkey 55

24. choirbairn 51
25. chomp my root, Speroni*1, mathematics, Speckled Tangerine 48
29. CountyFan, doulikefish 44
31. lolls, peasy23 35
33. Bold Rover, D.V.T. 34
35. Cardinal Richelieu 33

36. 50/50 Winner, Blootoon87, cambozpar, cdisaaccie, HI HAT, LondonHMFC, LoonsYouthTeam, Mark Connolly, Meden89, microdave, psv_killie, Scotty Tunbridge, Sergeant Wilson, shuggz 22
50. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores and I'm away for a lie down: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V64rLXKhrmZf-6K4D3RyN3cR5Z_i2rh-ztODUB_dQyI/edit?usp=sharing