Fark that's a blow

1 minute ago, Raidernation said:

^^ just came on to post this.

Awful news, and even worse if Trump gets to nominate a replacement

You just know he has an Adolf Eichman up his fucking sleeve

27 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

^^ just came on to post this.

Awful news, and even worse if Trump gets to nominate a replacement

Won't the ratification process take care of that? The Dems might be able to filibuster  until after the election - they removed the ability to filibuster for all senate-confirmed judicial appointments *except* the Supreme Court a few years back. It wouldn't even look bad since it would be payback for the blocking of Garland who was appointed in Obama's last year. The Republicans set the precedent.

Edit: Apparently not. Some amendment to procedures in 2017 made Supreme Court appointments unfilibusterable.

Edited by Aim Here

On 15/09/2020 at 21:34, Karpaty Lviv said:

Jockey Pat Smullen falls at the 43rd fence. Pancreatic cancer.

15 hours ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Supreme Court Judge Ruth Ginsburg 87

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Bader_Ginsburg

3 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Uriah Heep drummer Lee Kerslake is deid. 

FFS. 

Week 37 update

Clearly as some sort of punishment for me not doing anything since August, we have three deaths this week. Up first is the Irish jockey, Pat Smullen: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/sep/15/pat-smullen-nine-times-irish-champion-jockey-dies-aged-43

Pat Smullen was an outstanding champion jockey and multiple Classic-winner who, less than 18 months ago, seemed to have prevailed in the most difficult battle of his life. The news on Tuesday evening that pancreatic cancer had returned to take Smullen’s life at 43 years of age left a deep sense of shock and loss across racing and arrived a year to the day after a charity race he organised at the Curragh raised more than €2.5m (£1.9m) for Cancer Trials Ireland.

The race, and the afternoon built around it, typified Smullen’s reaction to his initial diagnosis in March 2018: to fight his disease in any and every way possible. The same competitive instincts made him one of the outstanding Flat jockeys of the last 20 years.

It is a testament to his calm professionalism and consistency that he was Ireland’s champion jockey nine times between 2000 and 2016, while riding fewer than 50 horses in all that time for the country’s perennial champion trainer, Aidan O’Brien.

I don't know the first thing about horse racing. All I can say here is that someone who was very good at it has died at 43, leaving a wife and three children. He clearly faced his original cancer diagnosis head-on, and I hope those who knew him take some solace in what he was able to achieve.

Smullen died at 43, so he's worth 82 Base Points. He was also a Solo Shot for @Billy Jean King, making him worth 132 points overall.

==========================

Up next this week was the American judge, Ruth Bader Ginsburg: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/19/ruth-bader-ginsburg-obituary

Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who has died aged 87, was the second woman to sit on the supreme court of the United States. Nominated to the court by Bill Clinton in 1993, she had already established a reputation as a champion of gender equality and women’s rights as advocate, academic and appeals court judge. Throughout her long career, she was firm in her twin convictions: there is discrimination against women in the US (and elsewhere), and that discrimination violates the American constitution.

In her 27 years on the supreme court bench, she was a consistent moderate liberal. Her role as the senior liberal justice, after 2010, became increasingly important as the balance of opinion shifted in the court, and her scathing dissents on conservative majority decisions, particularly on women’s rights, made her a celebrated figure on the left.

In recent years Ginsburg was treated, as one New Yorker writer said, as “a pop culture feminist icon, a comic book superhero”. She was formidably clever, and had in her youth almost superhuman capacity for work. But what made her historically so important was her clear conviction of the injustice of unequal treatment of women, and her absolute certainty that it could be cleansed by applying the constitution.

There is more in this article (and the innumerable others on the Guardian's site alone) than I can post in a single quote box, especially when I don't know anything about the person and especially on a day when there are two other deaths to cover. One thing I will say however is that when I started running the Dead Pool last year I actually got to find out what the US Supreme Court is, and how it works. What an absolute fucking shambles of a country. This is just what it needs right now, Donald Trump picking more people to decide what its laws should be. 

Bader Ginsburg was 87 when she died, so she's worth 38 Base Points. @Arabdownunder, @Blootoon87, @expatowner, @Lofarl, @peasy23 and @weirdcal get the base score, @Arch Stanton gets 57 for a Vice-Captain and @Mark Connolly gets 76 for a Captain pick.

==========================

Final death this week was the drummer Lee Kerslake: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54225774

Legendary drummer Lee Kerslake was a man who hit his kit with real power and who enjoyed life to the fullest, earning himself the nickname of ‘The Bear’ in a career that was rich and varied.

Born in Dorset in 1947, Kerslake began playing drums at the age of 11 and joined assorted bands before landing a gig with London-based outfit The Gods in 1968. During his time with that band, he cut two albums and formed a firm friendship with keyboard player Ken Hensley who he would re-join first in Toe Fat, and then in Uriah Heep in 1972.

By then, alongside Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple, Heep were one of the pre-eminent heavy bands in the UK and three albums into their career. Kerslake joined in time to record their fourth, Demons And Wizards, which propelled the band further onto the world stage, selling six million copies in the process and providing them with their first US hit with the single Easy Livin’.

(this text was from the Kerrang! obitutary which actually offers information about the guy's life)

As is customary with musical deaths, let's have a listen:

This was the most viewed result for Uriah Heep when I searched for them on youtube. I was expecting something heavier. At least it's not the worst musical contribution this thread has seen this year. 

Kerslake was 73 when he died, so he's worth 52 Base Points for @Bishop Briggs, @Lofarl, @Melanius Mullarkey and @The DA.

As a result, the scores now look like this:

1. Bishop Briggs 475
2. JustOneCornetto 417
3. Ned Nederlander 342

4. chomp my root 337
5. thistledo 314
6. Aim Here 300
7. peasy23 253
8. Melanius Mullarkey 245
9. sparky88 241

10. The_Craig 239
11. Savage Henry 219
12. psv_killie 206
13. pub car king 205
14. alta-pete 202
15. Musketeer Gripweed 198
16. Lofarl 189
17. paulathame 188
18. sureiknow 184
19. Mark Connolly 183

20. ToBeSomeone 174
21. Arch Stanton 164
22. Arabdownunder 159

23. Karpaty Lviv 156
24. weejack 140
25. Billy Jean King 132

26. dee_62 139
27. ICTJohnboy 129
28. statts1976uk 123
29. Bold Rover 122
30. weirdcal120

31. lichtgilphead 119
32. Ben Twilly 107
33. 101 103
34. sleazy 99
35. CountyFan 98
36. Hamish's Passenger, choirbairn, The DA 94
39. cdisaaccie 86
40. microdave 84
41. Fuctifano 83
42. Speckled Tangerine 80
43. expatowner 78

44. lolls 67
45. 50/50 Winner 65
46. The Naitch 64
47. Bobby Skidmarks 63
48. Blootoon87 60

49. 19QOS19, dundeefc1783 58
51. Ludo*1, mathematics 48
53. doulikefish,  cambozpar, LondonHMFC, microdave, Sergeant Wilson 44
58. Indale WInton 42
59. pawpar 40
60. D.V.T. 34
61. Cardinal Richelieu 33
62. Flybhoy 32
63. HI HAT, LoonsYouthTeam, Meden89, Scotty Tunbridge, shuggz, Perkin Flump, The Master 22
70. Everyone else 0 

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V64rLXKhrmZf-6K4D3RyN3cR5Z_i2rh-ztODUB_dQyI/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Miguel Sanchez