The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2020

13 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

I've noted the progress of the boy Cornetto but, imo, Ned Nederlander is the man to beat, tucked in behind the leaders.

What do we get for deadly duo?

It's 42 base points plus 25 for the Deadly Duo bonus which should propel you about 20 odd places up the table.

3 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

I've noted the progress of the boy Cornetto but, imo, Ned Nederlander is the man to beat, tucked in behind the leaders.

I'm less convinced. He's doing well, so far, but he's burned up 4 of his picks already; if you ask me, sparky88, right behind him, with two fewer hits and more points still to win, is just as good a bet, although I'm not persuaded that this is the year to have Doddie Weir in your team. Time will tell, though.

alta-pete is another possible surprise contender. He's had a slow year, and he's lurking way down the table. but he won last year, and he's still got a ton of points on the table - he's a bit of an outlier in terms of how many more points I'd expect him to get. He could plausibly win this year with just one well-timed death.

22 hours ago, Aim Here said:

I'm less convinced. He's doing well, so far, but he's burned up 4 of his picks already; if you ask me, sparky88, right behind him, with two fewer hits and more points still to win, is just as good a bet, although I'm not persuaded that this is the year to have Doddie Weir in your team. Time will tell, though.

alta-pete is another possible surprise contender. He's had a slow year, and he's lurking way down the table. but he won last year, and he's still got a ton of points on the table - he's a bit of an outlier in terms of how many more points I'd expect him to get. He could plausibly win this year with just one well-timed death.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. This team was put together with less care than last year's Title winners but I'm still holding some hope. If Slick Woods could arrange to cark it at the end of December it'd be a memorable win!

3 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

I bet no one on my list was even in Beirut today.

With Beirut's luck, you could probably pick 15 of its most famous citizens as your team. Poor buggers don't seen to be able to catch a break.

Edited by chomp my root

15 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Former Ancell Babe and Hibs player Willie Hunter at 80. Managed Queen of the South for a couple of months in 1980 and also Inverness Caley 

I hope he finds what he is looking for on the other side. 

Week 31 update

One death this week, the Irish politician John Hume: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/aug/03/john-hume-obituary

John Hume, who has died aged 83, was the politician widely credited with crafting the Irish peace process. Although he never held high political office in Britain or Ireland, over almost 30 turbulent years he decisively influenced the way that successive British and Irish administrations handled their common Northern Ireland problem and monitored their efforts to quell the civil disorder and political deadlock.

Driven by an acute understanding of history and a belief in “an agreed Ireland”, Hume envisaged an idyllic state in which everyone, both northerners and southerners, “reached an accommodation as to how we share this piece of earth”.

The leader of the Social Democratic and Labour party (SDLP), he was jointly awarded the Nobel peace prize with the unionist leader David Trimble in 1998 and went on to receive many other honours from universities and institutions around the world in his own right. As a committed nationalist, he relentlessly pursued a long-term strategy: internal reform in Northern Ireland was not enough, and a lasting settlement could endure only within an agreed all-Ireland context.

While I'm on that page, get a load of this tie from Ian Paisley:

John Hume, left, with Ian Paisley in 1998.

Dear oh dear. 

What became known as the Hume-Adams initiative predictably created a tsunami of criticism. Loyalists feared Hume was plotting to undermine their link with Britain and suck them into a disadvantageous all-Ireland framework. The Rev Ian Paisley, leader of the Democratic Unionist party, denounced Hume as a “message boy for the IRA” and prayed for “the great God to put his spanner in the machinery of Irish unity”.

Hume was unfazed. “You can’t eat a flag,” he said. He strongly believed that unyielding unionists needed to come to terms with a modern world in which Britain had no strategic or economic interest in Ireland and the European dimension was paramount. “If the word ‘no’ was removed from the English language, unionists would be speechless,” he said.

I like the cut of his jib. In all seriousness, the history of the Troubles in Ireland has never felt tangible to me. By the time I was old enough to at least pick things up in passing from the news Northern Ireland and Ireland were two things and they weren't at war. Nobody was bombing cars or pubs in Britain anymore. The significance of the Good Friday Agreement has always been lost on me as a result, both in terms of its stopping conflict at the time as well as providing a chance for stability and prosperity in the future.

Really, the only reason I've heard of Bobby Sands or the IRA is because I live in Glasgow. I don't want to speak for him but I get the feeling that someone who spent his life advocating for peace and  the eradication of discrimination-based poverty wouldn't have been too thrilled by people from outside Ireland attaching that conflict to their football teams in order to carry it on. 

Hume died at 83, making him worth 42 Base Points. He was a Deadly Duo pick for @Bold Rover and @JustOneCornetto for an extra 25 points and a total of 67. As a result, the scores look like this:

1. Bishop Briggs 423
2. JustOneCornetto 417
3. chomp my root 337
4. thistledo 314
5. Aim Here 300
6. Ned Nederlander 285
7. sparky88 241

8. The_Craig 239
9. Savage Henry 219
10. peasy23 215
11. psv_killie 206
12. pub car king 205
13. alta-pete 202
14. Musketeer Gripweed 198
15. Melanius Mullarkey 193
16. paulathame 188
17. sureiknow 184
18. ToBeSomeone 174
19. Karpaty Lviv 156
20. weejack 140
21. dee_62 139
22. ICTJohnboy 129
23. statts1976uk 123
24. Bold Rover 122

25. lichtgilphead 119
26. Ben Twilly,  Arch Stanton, Mark Connolly 107
29. 101 103
30. sleazy 99
31. CountyFan 98
32. Hamish's Passenger, choirbairn 94
34. cdisaaccie 86
35. microdave 84
36. Fuctifano 83
37. weirdcal 82
38. Speckled Tangerine 80
39. lolls 67
40. 50/50 Winner 65
41. Arabdownunder, The Naitch 64
43. Bobby Skidmarks 63
44. 19QOS19, dundeefc1783 58
46. Ludo*1, mathematics 48
48. doulikefish,  cambozpar, LondonHMFC, microdave, Sergeant Wilson 44
53. Indale WInton, Lofarl, The DA 42
56. expatowner, pawpar 40
58. D.V.T. 34
59. Cardinal Richelieu 33
60. Flybhoy 32
61. Blootoon87,  HI HAT, LoonsYouthTeam, Meden89, Scotty Tunbridge, shuggz, Perkin Flump, The Master 22
69. Everyone else 0 

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V64rLXKhrmZf-6K4D3RyN3cR5Z_i2rh-ztODUB_dQyI/edit?usp=sharing

Note: (Aim Here pointed out) an error from the David Hagen update - the scores for Bishop Briggs, chomp my root, peasy23 and sparky88 have been changed.