The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2020

Week 27 update

Two deaths this week. Up first, the film composer Ennio Morricone: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jul/06/ennio-morricone-obituary

If ever a name was synonymous with movie soundtracks, it was Ennio Morricone. Although it took the Hollywood film industry until 2007 to reward Morricone, who has died aged 91, with an honorary Academy Award, after he had been nominated on five separate occasions without winning an Oscar, his scores for The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966), Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) and The Mission (1986) are among the best-known and most accomplished ever written. In 2016 he won the Oscar for best original score for his work on Quentin Tarantino’s The Hateful Eight.

It would be remiss of me to not include his work, which you've ever heard in their original setting or sampled elsewhere constantly:

Morricone died at 91 for 34 Base Points. He was a Solo Shot for @paulathame, adding an extra 50 points for a total of 84. 

======================

Up next this week was Johnny Beattie: https://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/18573366.obituary-johnny-beattie-comedian-actor-scottish-variety-star/

JOHNNY Beattie, comedian, actor and Scottish variety star has died peacefully after a short spell at St Margaret’s Hospice near Glasgow.

During a career that spanned an incredible 63 years, Beattie became a panto star, a TV quiz show host and a TV soap actor. He toured North America with the Alexander Bros and worked with legends such as Billy Connolly.  

What was the secret of his longevity? “I think if you’re nice you have a nice long career,” he said, smiling, during a quiet chat.  

The son of a Govan road sweeper and a jam factory worker, young Johnny was immensely bright, becoming School Dux at St Gerard’s.  

His intelligence was underscored later in his comedy career when Beattie revealed an acute talent for taking a news story and turning it into a gag. “If it was in the news that day it was in the act that night,” says theatre producer Robert C Kelly who worked with Beattie over a 20-year period.  “Johnny was as clever as they come.”

60 years of being one of the most prominent, well-known and popular figures in Scottish culture is some going. 

Beattie died at 93, so he's worth 32 Base Points. He was a hit for @Flybhoy, @lolls and @speckled tangerine.

======================

Final death this week was former Leeds United player Jack Charlton: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jul/11/jack-charlton-a-footballing-giant-who-was-forever-a-man-of-the-people

He was Ireland’s favourite Englishman. He was Leeds’s favourite Geordie. And, with due respect to his illustrious brother, Jack was nearly everyone’s favourite Charlton. On Friday night at home in Northumberland, Jack Charlton died in his sleep at 85 in the embrace of his family after suffering for more than a year with lymphoma and dementia. The outpouring of affection for him in the hours since has been as rich with anecdotes of laughter and mischief as for his deeds in football.

Charlton is remembered largely for 23 years at Leeds and taking Ireland to two World Cup finals. There were successful spells of management, too, at Middlesbrough (where he was manager of the year in 1974), and Sheffield Wednesday, whom he rescued from ignominy, and Newcastle, where he and a young Paul Gascoigne worked together for a short time.

But Big Jack was a giant of a different kind. He was working class to his hobnail boots (which he briefly wore as a 15-year-old miner), and was one of the first to join Brian Clough in his unequivocal criticism of the racist National Front in 1977, a time when sport kept its distance from politics and social issues. Both of them would have taken a knee today without thinking.

In 1984, he told Terry Wogan, there was only one other serious option to a career in football. “I would have gone down the pit, wouldn’t I?” The TV presenter pressed him tentatively: “And would you be on strike now?” Charlton bristled and replied loudly, “Of course I would. Those lads, they’re just trying to save jobs and their communities.”

Maybe it's the romantic in me, but I always enjoy... well, not enjoy, I appreciate writing about sportspeople here. Being able to go back to a time when football and sport in general was simpler and more honest. Here is the record appearance holder for Leeds United, their captain during the most successful time in their history. Leeds' website has lots of pieces and comments about him. He was Ireland manager too, which is oddly what I remember him for:

Charlton himself had an unremarkable international career. He died at 85, so he's worth 40 Base Points. He was a pick for @101, @dee_62, @expatowner, @microdave and @pawpar.

======================

As a result of all of those, the standings now look like this:

1. Bishop Briggs 306
2. pub car king 205
3. Musketeer Gripweed 198
4. Melanius Mullarkey 193
5. Ned Nederlander 190
6. paulathame 188
7. psv_killie 185
8. chomp my root 183
9. ToBeSomeone 174

10. JustOneCornetto 173
11. sureiknow 163

12. thistledo 158
13. weejack 140
14. dee_62 139
15. ICTJohnboy 129

16. alta-pete, sparky88 124
18. statts1976uk 123
19. lichtgilphead 119

20. Ben Twilly,  Arch Stanton, Mark Connolly 107
23. Aim Here 106
24. 101 103
25. sleazy 99

26. Hamish's Passenger 94
27. cdisaaccie 86
28. microdave 84
29. Fuctifano, The_Craig 83
31. weirdcal 82
32. Speckled Tangerine 80
33. peasy23 77
34. choirbairn 73
35. lolls 67
36. CountyFan 66
37. Arabdownunder, The Naitch 64

39. Savage Henry, Bobby Skidmarks 63
41. 19QOS19, dundeefc1783 58

43. Ludo*1, mathematics 48
45. doulikefish, 50/50 Winner, cambozpar, LondonHMFC, microdave, Sergeant Wilson 44
51. Indale WInton, Lofarl, The DA 42
54. expatowner, pawpar 40
56. Bold Rover, D.V.T. 34
58. Cardinal Richelieu 33
59. Flybhoy 32

60. Blootoon87,  HI HAT, LoonsYouthTeam, Meden89, Scotty Tunbridge, shuggz, Perkin Flump, The Master 22
68. Everyone else 0 

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V64rLXKhrmZf-6K4D3RyN3cR5Z_i2rh-ztODUB_dQyI/edit?usp=sharing

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Final death this week was former Leeds United player Jack Charlton: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jul/11/jack-charlton-a-footballing-giant-who-was-forever-a-man-of-the-people

Maybe it's the romantic in me, but I always enjoy... well, not enjoy, I appreciate writing about sportspeople here. Being able to go back to a time when football and sport in general was simpler and more honest. Here is the record appearance holder for Leeds United, their captain during the most successful time in their history. Leeds' website has lots of pieces and comments about him. He was Ireland manager too, which is oddly what I remember him for:

Charlton himself had an unremarkable international career. He died at 85, so he's worth 40 Base Points. He was a pick for @101, @dee_62, @expatowner, @microdave and @pawpar.

Winning the World Cup as a player was unremarkable? Charlton was also part of the England 1970 squad too.

Qualifying for the World Cup (twice) and Euros (twice) as manager of Ireland was unremarkable?

Charlton also won two InterCities Fairs Cups. Also unremarkable presumably.

So what would you want a player and manager to win (or achieve) to have a remarkable international career? 

1 minute ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Winning the World Cup as a player was unremarkable? Charlton was also part of the England 1970 squad too.

Qualifying for the World Cup (twice) and Euros (twice) as manager of Ireland was unremarkable?

So what would you want a player and manager to win (or achieve) to have a remarkable international career? 

It was a joke, I'm sure.

2 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

I'm pretty sure, although I'm happy to be corrected, that this is a standard line used whenever a member of the England team of that era leaves us.

Just now, Mark Connolly said:

I'm pretty sure, although I'm happy to be corrected, that this is a standard line used whenever a member of the England team of that era leaves us.

Tbh, I rarely listen that stuff because I'm sick of hearing about 1966. 

As a player, Charlton was as hard as nails - in the same mould as Ron Harris, Norman Hunter and Tommy Smith. I loved the old days of tough tackling and the skills of Best, Currie, Bowles etc who knew how to deal with it.

Charlton was a great manager of Ireland who highlighted the shortcomings of our managers who similar (or arguably better) squads. I will always wonder what he could have achieved as manager of a top club. He should not have left Newcastle so quickly.

29 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Tbh, I rarely listen that stuff because I'm sick of hearing about 1966. 

As a player, Charlton was as hard as nails - in the same mould as Ron Harris, Norman Hunter and Tommy Smith. I loved the old days of tough tackling and the skills of Best, Currie, Bowles etc who knew how to deal with it.

Charlton was a great manager of Ireland who highlighted the shortcomings of our managers who similar (or arguably better) squads. I will always wonder what he could have achieved as manager of a top club. He should not have left Newcastle so quickly.

Newcastle's so called supporters giving him dogs abuse was what drove him away from the club. I can mind seeing him interviewed on TV when he left saying he didn't need to take that kind of abuse from anyone. He was absolutely right to walk out.

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Newcastle's so called supporters giving him dogs abuse was what drove him away from the club. I can mind seeing him interviewed on TV when he left saying he didn't need to take that kind of abuse from anyone. He was absolutely right to walk out.

Those canny lads

13 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Saw him play at Dens and probably Tannadice for Motherwell and Hibs and perhaps at Dens for East Fife. Wasn't he just Partick Thistle's manager?

East Fife's manager 1970-73. Caretaker Patrick manager 1980 according to Wikipedia.

ETA: played for Albion Rovers rather than Partick so you're right.

Edited by tamthebam