The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2020

Week 26 update

Two deaths this week. Up first, Carl Reiner: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/30/carl-reiner-obituary

The screenwriter, actor and director Carl Reiner, who has died aged 98, was a man of remarkable talent and energy.

He was one of the key figures in US TV comedy during the 1950s and 60s and began his career as a writer and performer on the comedy series Your Show of Shows, which starred Sid Caesar and Imogene Coca, before moving on to create The Dick Van Dyke Show.

Reiner insisted that The Dick Van Dyke Show was “hands down” the thing he was most proud of in his career. Not because of its 15 Emmy awards but because it inspired generations of comedy writers. “When I wrote the show,” Reiner said, “I knew the one thing that was absolutely necessary was to not use slang of the day. Because I knew this would have lasting value.”

As was the case with his colleague and close friend Mel Brooks, Reiner had a facility for anarchic, absurd comedy, laced with New York Jewish humour. He was born in the Bronx, to Jewish immigrants. His mother, Bessie (nee Mathias), was from Romania and his father, Irving, was a watchmaker from Austria. At first, Carl aspired to be a baseball player or opera singer, but, aged 16, while working as a machinist repairing sewing machines, he turned to studying acting at the WPA (Works Progress Administration) Dramatic Workshop.

When the second world war broke out, Reiner was drafted into the army, eventually achieving the rank of corporal. He trained as a French interpreter, and helped entertain the troops for two years, before being honourably discharged in 1946.

Usually when an actor dies I look at their filmography to see if I've seen them in anything. I haven't. The only thing that comes to mind is this:

1037068.jpg?b64lines=IExpc3Rlbiwgd2h5IGRvbid0IHlvdQogcGxheSBDYXJsIFJlaW5lciBhbmQgbGV0CiBtZSBwbGF5IFBvbGljZSBDaGllZgogV2lnZ3VtPyBJIGhhdGUgQ2FybAogUmVpbmVyLg==

Reiner died at 98, so he's worth 27 Base Points. He was a Solo Shot for @psv_killie, making him worth a total of 77 points.

=================================

Second death this week was cricket man Everton Weekes: https://www.theguardian.com/global/2020/jul/02/everton-weekes-obituary

Born in the New Orleans slum abutting the Kensington Oval, Barbados’s Test venue in the capital, Bridgetown, Weekes was an inner-city child. Educated at St Leonard’s school, Bridgetown, like other poor boys he was allowed net practice at Kensington, where ability and a nominal groundsman’s job could bring them places on a team representing a club they could not join. Weekes played in the Barbados Cricket League from the age of 12 and was both good and strong-willed enough to make his debut for Barbados in 1944: he was named captain in 1958, the year of his last appearance for the West Indies, in the fifth Test against Pakistan in Trinidad. His relentless, forceful batting style took its toll on his body, and he retired from Test cricket aged only 32, though he continued playing first-class cricket until 1964. As only the second black captain of Barbados, he was outstanding, leading strong Barbadian teams that believed in him implicitly.

After cricket he found employment and respect as a cricket coach and commentator in Barbados, and as an international match referee, but not a great deal of money. An excellent bridge player, he represented Barbados for many years. But it is indubitably for his batting that he will be remembered.

The words about his actual cricketing might as well be written in Chinese. He hit the ball really hard and scored a lot of points. 

Weekes died at 95, so he's worth 30 Base Points. He was a Solo Shot for @Musketeer Gripweed, making him worth a total of 80 points.

As a result, the standings now look like this:

1. Bishop Briggs 306
2. pub car king 205
3. Musketeer Gripweed 198
4. Melanius Mullarkey 193
5. Ned Nederlander 190
6. psv_killie 185
7. chomp my root 183
8. ToBeSomeone 174

9. JustOneCornetto 173
10. sureiknow 163

11. thistledo 158
12. weejack 140
13. ICTJohnboy 129

14. alta-pete, sparky88 124
16. statts1976uk 123
17. lichtgilphead 119

18. Ben Twilly,  Arch Stanton, Mark Connolly 107
21. Aim Here 106
22. paulathame 104
23. dee_62, sleazy 99

25. Hamish's Passenger 94
26. cdisaaccie 86
27. Fuctifano, The_Craig 83
29. weirdcal 82
30. peasy23 77
31. choirbairn 73
32. CountyFan 66
33. Arabdownunder, The Naitch 64

35. 101, Savage Henry, Bobby Skidmarks 63
38. 19QOS19, dundeefc1783 58

40. Speroni*1, mathematics, Speckled Tangerine 48
43. doulikefish, 50/50 Winner, cambozpar, LondonHMFC, microdave, Sergeant Wilson 44
49. Indale WInton, Lofarl, The DA 42
52. lolls 35
53. Bold Rover, D.V.T. 34
55. Cardinal Richelieu 33

56. Blootoon87,  HI HAT, LoonsYouthTeam, Meden89, microdave, Scotty Tunbridge, shuggz, Perkin Flump, The Master 22
65. Everyone else 0 

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V64rLXKhrmZf-6K4D3RyN3cR5Z_i2rh-ztODUB_dQyI/edit?usp=sharing

It's getting on for 2 years since I last had a hit. People dropping like flies from the biggest pandemic in decades and not one of my team has had the decency to do the right thing. b*****ds, every one.

4 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

It's getting on for 2 years since I last had a hit. People dropping like flies from the biggest pandemic in decades and not one of my team has had the decency to do the right thing. b*****ds, every one.

Its been a slow year, a low scoring one too. Hopefully it will be a game of two halves and things will pick up.... 🤞

1 hour ago, supermik said:

How many points would this death be worth? Double?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_and_Donnie_Galyon

After a brief read of the wikipedia article on conjoined twins - which contains this belter of a quote

In 2003, two 29-year-old women from Iran, Ladan and Laleh Bijani, who were joined at the head but had separate brains (craniopagus) were surgically separated in Singapore, despite surgeons' warnings that the operation could be fatal to one or both. Their complex case was accepted only because technologically advanced graphical imagery and modelling would allow the medical team to plan the risky surgery. However, an undetected major vein hidden from the scans was discovered during the operation.[29] The separation was completed but both women died while still in surgery.

- it's two people. Even if they shared (part of) a brain it would have to be two people because... well, they're two people. 

Of course, they'd fall foul of the Terminal Rule, so it's a moot point.