The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2020

He played Bilbo in the LOTR films and that casting was probably a nod to the fact he had played Frodo in the BBC radio adaptation in the early 1980s. John Le Mesurier played Bilbo in that radio adaptation.

On 18/06/2020 at 04:11, Bishop Briggs said:

You're not obliged to keep picks from one year to the next. I dumped a few picks to clear space this year.

Fuxxake, you might as well put a bullet in their heads yourself. Taking someone off your list is a nailed on death-sentence for the poor b*****d. 

Week 24 update

One death this week, the singer Vera Lynn: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jun/18/dame-vera-lynn-obituary

At the start of the second world war, Vera Lynn, who has died aged 103, was an up-and-coming dance band singer. By 1945, this working-class young woman had become a symbol of the British wartime spirit, with a status comparable to that of the patrician prime minister, Winston Churchill. After the war, her friend Harry Secombe liked to joke that “Churchill didn’t beat the Nazis. Vera sang them to death.”

Lynn’s iconic status as the “Forces’ Sweetheart” was due to the success of her radio series, Sincerely Yours, which linked the soldiers at the front with their loved ones at home. In 1944, she visited the troops in Europe, the Middle East and Asia, which kindled her lifelong commitment to the welfare of veterans, especially those of the Burma campaign. Above all, her celebrity was due to her hit songs. Such numbers as We’ll Meet Again and The White Cliffs of Dover caught and moulded a national mood, despite the harsh criticism her crooning style provoked from some politicians and BBC managers.

After VE Day, Lynn resumed her career as a variety artist and recording star, but her association with wartime Britain remained central to her identity and reputation throughout her long life. Until very recently, Lynn was a prominent presence at commemorations of the war. Her place at the heart of national life was officially recognised when she was made OBE in 1969, a dame in 1975 and a Companion of Honour in 2016; her 100th birthday, in March 2017, was marked by the release of a new album and a concert in her honour at the London Palladium. Equally, she became part of popular culture as cockney rhyming slang made her synonymous with gin, chin and skin (as in cigarette papers), she was hymned by pop singers of later generations including Pink Floyd and Ian Dury, and she was the subject of numerous comic impersonations, something she tried unsuccessfully to control through court action in the 1950s.

Vera Lynn is old and famous, so she's been a regular Dead Pool pick for years. There's an irony that in the year she finally goes, the sentiment of her most famous song has been repurposed in recent months after a global crisis incomparable to anything that's gone before. The cynic in me would suggest this was an ulterior move from a government trying to combine a historic sentiment from Britain's biggest ever achievement, the extent of the voting base that supports them and their underlying anti-European sentiments, covering up the shambolic way they've dealt with the entire pandemic, and a media complicit in all of these endeavours. But then, I'm cynical. 

For now, let's just remember someone who brought joy and hope to people put in the worst situation imaginable. And who pissed off the BBC for being Cockney. Vera was 103 when she died, so she's worth 22 Base Points. That's 22 points for @50/50 Winner, @Arch Stanton, @cambozpar, @choirbairn, @CountyFan, @ICTJohnboy, @LondonHMFC, @Mark Connolly, @microdave, @Perkin Flump, @Musketeer Gripweed, @psv_killie, @Sergeant Wilson, @sleazy, @sureiknow, @The Master and @The Naitch.

As a result, the standings now look like this:

1. Bishop Briggs 306
2. pub car king 205
3. Melanius Mullarkey 193
4. Ned Nederlander 190
5. chomp my root 183
6. ToBeSomeone 174

7. JustOneCornetto 173
8. sureiknow 163

9. thistledo 158
10. weejack 140
11. ICTJohnboy 129

12. alta-pete, sparky88 124
14. statts1976uk 123
15. lichtgilphead 119
16. Musketeer Gripweed 118
17. psv_killie 108

18. Ben Twilly,  Arch Stanton, Mark Connolly 107
21. Aim Here 106
22. paulathame 104
23. dee_62, sleazy 99

25. Hamish's Passenger 94
26. cdisaaccie 86
27. Fuctifano, The_Craig 83
29. weirdcal 82
30. peasy23 77
31. choirbairn 73
32. CountyFan 66
33. Arabdownunder, The Naitch 64

35. 101, Savage Henry, Bobby Skidmarks 63
38. 19QOS19, dundeefc1783 58

40. Speroni*1, mathematics, Speckled Tangerine 48
43. doulikefish, 50/50 Winner, cambozpar, LondonHMFC, microdave, Sergeant Wilson 44
49. Indale WInton, Lofarl, The DA 42
52. lolls 35
53. Bold Rover, D.V.T. 34
55. Cardinal Richelieu 33

56. Blootoon87,  HI HAT, LoonsYouthTeam, Meden89, microdave, Scotty Tunbridge, shuggz, Perkin Flump, The Master 22
65. Everyone else 0 

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V64rLXKhrmZf-6K4D3RyN3cR5Z_i2rh-ztODUB_dQyI/edit?usp=sharing

3 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Week 24 update

One death this week, the singer Vera Lynn: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jun/18/dame-vera-lynn-obituary

Vera Lynn is old and famous, so she's been a regular Dead Pool pick for years. There's an irony that in the year she finally goes, the sentiment of her most famous song has been repurposed in recent months after a global crisis incomparable to anything that's gone before. The cynic in me would suggest this was an ulterior move from a government trying to combine a historic sentiment from Britain's biggest ever achievement, the extent of the voting base that supports them and their underlying anti-European sentiments, covering up the shambolic way they've dealt with the entire pandemic, and a media complicit in all of these endeavours. But then, I'm cynical. 

For now, let's just remember someone who brought joy and hope to people put in the worst situation imaginable. And who pissed off the BBC for being Cockney. Vera was 103 when she died, so she's worth 22 Base Points. That's 22 points for @50/50 Winner, @Arch Stanton, @cambozpar, @choirbairn, @CountyFan, @ICTJohnboy, @LondonHMFC, @Mark Connolly, @microdave, @Perkin Flump, @Musketeer Gripweed, @psv_killie, @Sergeant Wilson, @sleazy, @sureiknow, @The Master and @The Naitch.

As a result, the standings now look like this:

1. Bishop Briggs 306
2. pub car king 205
3. Melanius Mullarkey 193
4. Ned Nederlander 190
5. chomp my root 183
6. ToBeSomeone 174

7. JustOneCornetto 173
8. sureiknow 163

9. thistledo 158
10. weejack 140
11. ICTJohnboy 129

12. alta-pete, sparky88 124
14. statts1976uk 123
15. lichtgilphead 119
16. Musketeer Gripweed 118
17. psv_killie 108

18. Ben Twilly,  Arch Stanton, Mark Connolly 107
21. Aim Here 106
22. paulathame 104
23. dee_62, sleazy 99

25. Hamish's Passenger 94
26. cdisaaccie 86
27. Fuctifano, The_Craig 83
29. weirdcal 82
30. peasy23 77
31. choirbairn 73
32. CountyFan 66
33. Arabdownunder, The Naitch 64

35. 101, Savage Henry, Bobby Skidmarks 63
38. 19QOS19, dundeefc1783 58

40. Speroni*1, mathematics, Speckled Tangerine 48
43. doulikefish, 50/50 Winner, cambozpar, LondonHMFC, microdave, Sergeant Wilson 44
49. Indale WInton, Lofarl, The DA 42
52. lolls 35
53. Bold Rover, D.V.T. 34
55. Cardinal Richelieu 33

56. Blootoon87,  HI HAT, LoonsYouthTeam, Meden89, microdave, Scotty Tunbridge, shuggz, Perkin Flump, The Master 22
65. Everyone else 0 

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V64rLXKhrmZf-6K4D3RyN3cR5Z_i2rh-ztODUB_dQyI/edit?usp=sharing

Cheers for making allowances for the AFKAM Miguel, always said you were a good lad.

Had a chuckle at the Dead Pool zero pointers when I saw Vera Lyn had died this week, giving me what I thought was my first hit of the year; before realising she was the only person I've ever dropped from a team in my 5 year Dead Pool career.

As you were!

29 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Ian Stoddart of Scottish band Win has passed away - a well-liked guy on the Edinburgh music scene - very sad news - rest in peace, man. 

I still love Super Popoid Groove, have the 12" somewhere, sorry to hear this.