The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2020

On 07/05/2020 at 23:44, Lurkst said:

6 music deaths in a row!

And this year’s team of mine has a very definite theme with eight musicians taking part. How many points have I rack up this week? Yup, you guessed, null. FML. 

36 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

And this year’s team of mine has a very definite theme with eight musicians taking part. How many points have I rack up this week? Yup, you guessed, null. FML. 

Tell me about it. This week killed off one of my dropped musician picks from last year, and killed off a bandmate of one of my current ones. It almost feels like I'm racking up negative points here...

Week 18 update

One death this week, the musician Little Richard: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/may/09/little-richard-dies-aged-83-rock-n-roll-pioneer

Richard, whose real name was Richard Penniman, was born in Macon, Georgia in December 1932. He had been in poor health for several years, suffering hip problems, a stroke and a heart attack.

Richard’s son, Danny Penniman, first confirmed the pioneer’s death. In a statement, Richard’s agent, Dick Alen, said: “Little Richard passed away this morning from bone cancer in Nashville.

“He was battling for a good while, many years. I last spoke to him about two or three weeks ago. I knew he wasn’t well but he never really got into it, he just would say ‘I’m not well.’”

Richard’s career began when in the late 1940s but his early recordings with RCA Victor garnered little success. His breakthrough came when he signed to Specialty Records in 1955, releasing a run of wild and flamboyant singles – Tutti Frutti, Long Tall Sally, Rip It Up, The Girl Can’t Help It, Lucille, Keep A-Knockin’ and Good Golly, Miss Molly, among others – that made him a star on both sides of the Atlantic.

--------------

His breakthrough single, Tutti Frutti, was originally about anal sex – “If it don’t fit, don’t force it / You can grease it, make it easy” – until producer Bumps Blackwell suggested it be cleaned up. The song bequeathed rock’n’roll its greatest expression of joy, whose exact syllables are still debated: “Awopbopaloobop-alopbamboom!”

---------------

In October 1957, however, during a tour of Australia, Richard saw a fireball crossing the sky. It was actually the Sputnik 1 satellite, but he took it as a sign from God that he needed to change his ways. In 1958 he became a preacher, before returning to secular music in 1962. The conflict between God and the devil’s music was a theme for much of the rest of his life. In old age, Richard renounced his omnisexuality, saying he had asked God to save him.

Richard’s conflict over the sacred and the profane, and which course to follow, was central to his sound, said writer Anthony DeCurtis.

“He left stardom at a very high point in the 50s to become a minister, He went back and forth on it, and it played a role in what he had to say about his sexuality,” said DeCurtis. “At points he talked about himself as always being gay, at other points he said God made a man to be a man and woman to be a woman. He talked about being bisexual, or omnisexual. That kind of struggle lent forth to his music, and that is part of what drove the madness of those early songs.”

Well, there's a thing I never knew. That article also features quotes from Brian Wilson, Bryan Ferry, Paul McCartney, Elvis Costello and Brian Johnson. Here's a longer obituary from Rolling Stone, if you fancy slightly more detail: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/little-richard-dead-48505/

And if you fancy seeing that yourself, here you go:

Richard died at 87, so he's worth 38 Base Points. He was a Deadly Duo pick for @Bobby Skidmarks and @Mark Connolly, so he returns 63 points total for both.

As a result, the standings now look like this:

1. Bishop Briggs 306
2. pub car king 205
3. Melanius Mullarkey 193
4. chomp my root 183
5. ToBeSomeone 174

6. JustOneCornetto 173
7. thistledo 158
8. sureiknow 141
9. weejack 140
10. Ned Nederlander 127

11. alta-pete, sparky88 124
13. statts1976uk 123
14. lichtgilphead 119
15. Ben Twilly, ICTJohnboy 107
17. Aim Here 106
18. paulathame 104
19. dee_62 99

20. Musketeer Gripweed 96
21. Hamish's Passenger 94
22. cdisaaccie, psv_killie 86
24. Arch Stanton, Mark Connolly 85
26. Fuctifano, The_Craig 83
28. weirdcal 82
29. sleazy, peasy23 77
31. Arabdownunder 64

32. 101, Savage Henry, Bobby Skidmarks 63
35. choirbairn 51
36. Speroni*1, mathematics, Speckled Tangerine 48
39. CountyFan, doulikefish 44
41. Indale WInton, Lofarl, The DA, The Naitch 42
45. lolls 35
46. Bold Rover, D.V.T. 34
48. Cardinal Richelieu 33

49. 50/50 Winner, Blootoon87, cambozpar, HI HAT, LondonHMFC, LoonsYouthTeam, Meden89, microdave, Scotty Tunbridge, Sergeant Wilson, shuggz 22
60. Everyone else 0 

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V64rLXKhrmZf-6K4D3RyN3cR5Z_i2rh-ztODUB_dQyI/edit?usp=sharing

2 hours ago, weirdcal said:

Jerry Stiller, Ben's dad and comedian in own right gone at 92

He finally has SERENITY NOW!!

Here is the biography for those interested https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-52616060?fbclid=IwAR31dHTHlaQhAAK84OQ44Gi8yvPjcdP5Wld04UvmJbzMUDS9DyQcVpQXq4c

Edited by senorsoupe