The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2020

7 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

He could do this all on his own, he’s no Superman.

Ted’s deid.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thewrap.com/sam-lloyd-actor-on-scrubs-dies-at-56/amp/

Having convened the Brains Trust, I am sad about this one, spent a reverent moment listening to the Underdog theme in tribute to him.

9 minutes ago, Perkin Flump said:

Having convened the Brains Trust, I am sad about this one, spent a reverent moment listening to the Underdog theme in tribute to him.

Indeed, sad times Moomin.

However, every cloud as he was my El Capitan, so, you know...

4 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Indeed, sad times Moomin.

However, every cloud as he was my El Capitan, so, you know...

I am looking at the positive side of my enforced username change, that useless Finnish c**t can carry the can for my complete inability to identify who is due to cark it.

Week 17 update

Another busy week. First up, former footballer Michael Robinson: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/28/michael-robinson-former-liverpool-and-brighton-player-dies-aged-61-republic-of-ireland-spain

Thankfully we live in an age where educated balding men with an interest in foreign football can follow it and ensure the rest of us do too, so consider this short biography from Sid Lowe if you'd like to know more:

Every Monday night for 15 years, Spain joined him. El Día Después, missed like he will be, was an institution that changed the face of broadcasting and it was his: he did not just present it, he produced it and wrote it with a team he put together. Monday production meetings at their Tres Cantos offices were alive with stories and excitement. He told everyone, endlessly, that they were being allowed into living rooms and they should never forget that: it was an honour to be treated with reverence. He chose that team carefully and cared for them deeply.

He described the show as “an X-ray of society; it’s about a communal feeling, a football programme that’s offside-free. El Día Después is for everybody: 30 million Spaniards, not the five people who think they own the game”. He couldn’t be bothered with tiresome refereeing debates; he liked the game too much and the good that goes with it. “Refereeing errors are the wrinkles on Paul Newman’s face, tiny imperfections: they don’t change the beauty,” he said.

His show was fun and it was about the fans as well as the footballers. More so. And it was huge. Michael was especially fond of a video of a small boy going to his first game, aged four or five. His cameras caught the boy at the Bernabéu, wide-eyed, overwhelmed, smiling: “One little boy showing what football is about.”

Robinson died at 61, so he's worth 64 Base Points. He was picked by seven people - @Arabdownunder, @Bishop Briggs, @cdisaaccie, @chomp my root, @lichtgilphead, @psv_killie and @thistledo all scoring.

==================================

Up next this week was the actress Jill Gascoine: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/apr/29/jill-gascoine-obituary

In the first episode of The Gentle Touch in April 1980, Maggie Forbes was promoted to detective inspector and, hours later, became a widow when her police constable husband was murdered. It was a symbolic moment for British television: for once, in a police drama, men were getting sidelined and women moving to the front rank.

Jill Gascoine, who has died aged 83, played DI Forbes in the trailblazing series from 1980 to 1984. “The Gentle Touch had been the first telly drama to base itself around a female copper,” she told an interviewer in 2008. “Helen Mirren and Prime Suspect came after me.”

Before The Gentle Touch, 1970s police dramas such as The Sweeney and The Professionals marginalised women so assiduously that they could readily be satirised decades later. Forbes was a new kind of detective. She tackled topical crimes involving prostitution, racism, euthanasia, antisemitism and mental health more empathetically than would have been possible for her predecessors.

Whenever an actor from before 1990 features in the Dead Pool, I invariably have no idea who they are. This is one of those cases. Gascoine died at 83, so she's worth 42 Base Points. She was picked by six people - @Indale Winton, @Lofarl, @peasy23, @The DA and @The Naitch, with @Savage Henry getting a Vice-Captain bonus for 61 points.

=====================================

Up last this week was someone I have heard of and who featured in something I have heard of, like, and was a formative part of my adolescence. The actor and musician, Sam Lloyd: https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/01/scrubs-star-sam-lloyd-dies-aged-56-tributes-pour-12643065/

Rather on focus on the rather grim details of the last year and a half of his life - lung cancer that spread, a newly born son and being in an induced coma for the last two months of his life when the treatment stopped working - I'm going to share my two favourite moments of his from Scrubs which demonstrate the abilities of a great comedic actor:

and...

In a thoughtful, introspective comedy like Scrubs, you need comic relief from outside the main characters. As a supporting character Ted was always great for an aside for some of the show's wackier moments. Whether it was pure slapstick like the first clip or one of the rare moments he got a win over Kelso, for a show that can flick between funny and serious so seamlessly, it was characters like Ted (and the performances bringing him to life) that provided the relief from the heavier moments. But then he can sing and play the guitar, so he works for the nice, tender moments like the second clip. 

When I last re-watched Scrubs (~2014-15, I think) I remember being slightly disappointed with it. It felt a bit dated in a way that seemed jarring. I think I'm going to get back to it soon though. @paul-r-cfc recently made a thread for it in the TV forum where he says it's on Channel 4's streaming service All4, so I'm sure you can give it a try too. If not, you should do it anyway.

I had also planned on putting him in my team this year but took him out at the last minute. Whoops.

Lloyd died at 56, so he's worth 69 Base Points. He was picked by three people - @chomp my root gets 69, @paulathame gets a Vice-Captain bonus for 104, and @Melanius Mullarkey gets a Captain bonus for 138

===============================

As a result, the standings look like this:

1. Bishop Briggs 306
2. pub car king 205
3. Melanius Mullarkey 193
4. chomp my root 183
5. ToBeSomeone 174

6. JustOneCornetto 173
7. thistledo 158
8. sureiknow 141
9. weejack 140
10. Ned Nederlander 127

11. alta-pete, sparky88 124
13. statts1976uk 123
14. lichtgilphead 119
15. Ben Twilly, ICTJohnboy 107
17. Aim Here 106
18. paulathame 104
19. dee_62 99

20. Musketeer Gripweed 96
21. Hamish's Passenger 94
22. cdisaaccie, psv_killie 86
24. Arch Stanton 85
25. Fuctifano, The_Craig 83
27. weirdcal 82
28. sleazy, peasy23 77
30. Arabdownunder 64

31. 101, Savage Henry 63
33. choirbairn 51
34. Speroni*1, mathematics, Speckled Tangerine 48
37. CountyFan, doulikefish 44
39. Indale WInton, Lofarl, The DA, The Naitch 42
43. lolls 35
44. Bold Rover, D.V.T. 34
46. Cardinal Richelieu 33

47. 50/50 Winner, Blootoon87, cambozpar, HI HAT, LondonHMFC, LoonsYouthTeam, Mark Connolly, Meden89, microdave, Scotty Tunbridge, Sergeant Wilson, shuggz 22
59. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V64rLXKhrmZf-6K4D3RyN3cR5Z_i2rh-ztODUB_dQyI/edit?usp=sharing

5 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Goal.  Jill Gascoine.  Completely missed this, but if anyone else is devastated by the news, I’ll be round with a tin of lager and some fried chicken in 20 minutes.

Got a video of Confessions of a Pop Performer too?