The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2020

Week 11 update

On 12/03/2020 at 10:14, jimbaxters said:

Does anyone else find it extraordinary that during a pandemic virus this thread is the quietest it's been for a while?

Ahem.

First up this week is a death from weeks ago. Singer, Pearl Carr: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/feb/19/pearl-carr-obituary

In 1959 the husband and wife duo of Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnson were invited to look at songs with which they could represent the UK in the fourth staging of the Eurovision song contest. These were pleasant ballads that owed nothing to the prevailing climate of rock and roll, and there was a trite but cheerful novelty song, Sing, Little Birdie. The pair saw how they could develop it into a routine with solo lines, immaculate harmonies and sideways glances at each other – and chose it as their UK song for Cannes. They came second, losing to a rendition of Een Beetje by Teddy Scholten for the Netherlands. In the event Sing, Little Birdie topped the charts in the Netherlands, having also made No 12 in the UK.

She'd probably still do a decent job than whatever we're subjecting the continent to this year. She died at 98 for 27 Base Points. She was a Solo Shot for @sleazy, putting her at 77 points total. 

-------------------------------------------

Back to the present day, this week saw actor Max von Sydow go: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/mar/09/max-von-sydow-obituary

Usually when an actor dies I look at their filmography to see what I'd know them from. I have seen The Exorcist, Flash Gordon, Ghostbusters 2, Minority Report and The Force Awakens. He was the voice of Vigo. That's good enough for me. You may know him as Blofeld, but my knowledge of old Bond films is lacking. 

He died at 90 for 35 Base Points. He was a Solo Shot for @Arch Stanton for a total of 85 points.

-------------------------------------------

Finally this week we have Genesis P-Orridge: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51893184

Since taking over the Dead Pool last year I've enjoyed finding out about people I've never heard of. For every list that's submitted I look up every person picked to find out who they are, if they're eligible, etc. Last year I discovered this person for the first time. Even though I've had fifteen months to digest them and their existence, I'm still none the wiser. I'd like to think of myself as vaguely clued up on the art world, but in this case I've got nothing. Let's have a listen:

Not for me, Clive. P-Orridge died at 70 for 55 Base Points. That means 55 for @lichtgilphead, @Melanius Mullarkey and @Ned Nederlander.

As a result of all of this, the standings now look like this:

1. Bishop Briggs 242
2. pub car king 223

3. JustOneCornetto 173
4. weejack 140
5. Ned Nederlander 127

6. alta-pete, sparky88 124
8. Ben Twilly 107

9. Musketeer Gripweed 96
10. thistledo 94
11. Arch Stanton 85
12. weirdcal 82
13. sleazy 77

14. statts1976uk 67

15. 101 63
16. lichtgilphead, Melanius Mullarkey 55

18. choirbairn, ICTJohnboy 51
20. chomp my root, Fuctifano, Ludo*1, mathematics, Speckled Tangerine, The_Craig 48
26. CountyFan, doulikefish, sureiknow 44
29. Bold Rover, D.V.T. 34
31. Cardinal Richelieu 33

32. 50/50 Winner, Blootoon87, cambozpar, cdisaaccie, HI HAT, LondonHMFC, LoonsYouthTeam, Mark Connolly, Meden89, microdave, psv_killie, Scotty Tunbridge, Sergeant Wilson, shuggz 22
46. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V64rLXKhrmZf-6K4D3RyN3cR5Z_i2rh-ztODUB_dQyI/edit?usp=sharing

19 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

No karaoke is complete without me belting out a Throbbing Gristle or a Psychic TV number. 

Funny thing is everyone else just thinks you're trying to do "My Way"....

Guest Moomintroll
Peter Whittingham. Cardiff City player. He was only 35. [emoji20]
Bloody hell, cracking free kick taker. Went down to watch Cardiff a few times when I lived in Mid Wales & he always stood out.

Peter Whittingham. Cardiff City player. He was only 35. [emoji20]
Story being fell down the stairs and passed away after being in intensive care

Mental. Absolutely mental with all that's going on and it's the stairs that gets you

Guest Moomintroll
Fuuuuuck. Like moomintroll, I used to watch Cardiff when I lived in Wales. Good player.
Excellent left foot, I have no idea how he never got a few consintent seasons in the Premiership.