The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2020

Read this on the i website.

Eric Douglas was born in 1958, and during his life (he sadly died in 2004), was an actor and stand-up comedian.

He entered British comedy folklore when during a performance in London he was angered by the audience's reaction to his stand-up routine and shouted, "You can't do this to me, I'm Kirk Douglas's son!"

A member of the audience stood up and shouted "No, I'm Kirk Douglas's son".

According to legend, the majority of the audience then stood up and repeated the line.

3 hours ago, charon said:

Pablo's right hand man, Popeye Velasquez, deid aged 57

Admitted to the personal murder of only 250+ people.

Some boi, he loved his YouTube channel.

Here's a docu on the psycho.

He's had more "hits" than all the Dead Poll entrants put together.

It's surprising that he died of natural causes unless, of course, someone managed to give him a carcinogenic substance..

14 hours ago, charon said:

She's 100 and notable in her own right.

Get her on next year's squads.

I'm just going to admit right here that I was pished last night, and got it into my head that it was Michael Douglas who had died, so I was tumescent at the prospect of Catherine Zeta Jones being single!  :oops

Edited by paranoid android

23 hours ago, paranoid android said:

I'm just going to admit right here that I was pished last night, and got it into my head that it was Michael Douglas who had died, so I was tumescent at the prospect of Catherine Zeta Jones being single!  :oops

Must have been some session to make you think that you'd have a chance with the lovely Catherine? 😂

Week 6 update

One death this week, and the opportunity for me to go on a bit. Being in the second year of running this game and having played it since 2015, there are some running trends you pick up on with regards to the people picked. This year for instance sees several Prince Andrews, when I'd be confident to bet he'd never been picked before. At the other end you have the unmovables, the people who are old and will always be picked until they can't be picked any more. The sort of person you see on the list and think "I was sure they were deid already." 

Every year we make jokes about these people - the Forsyths, the Zsa Zsas, the Greeks - because they're as prominent in the Dead Pool as they are in popular culture. You get people who pick them year on year then drop them, only for that to be the year they finally leave us. No matter how immortal someone may seem when you've been picking them for years - 7 of my original team remain - and no matter how many jokes we make at their expense, they all pay out eventually.

With that in mind, Kirk Douglas (103): https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/feb/06/kirk-douglas-obituary

Without irony or modesty, Kirk Douglas, who has died aged 103, saw himself as the archetypal American, a sturdy bridge between the abyss of the past and the bounty of the new world.

Indeed, he regarded his life story as worthy of some Los Angeleno Sistine chapel where he was posed – savage, muscular, radiant and determined – his arms linking penniless, uneducated immigrants from Russia and, say, his son Michael, a smooth prince of the city, a fabulously successful producer and actor. And I, Kirk would have cried to the fates and the heavens, I am the ragman’s son.

Douglas was a competitor, a striver, as urgent as that soaring voice. He made only a handful of great films, but he was a blazing star, opposed to slavery or submission, even if it meant becoming a Bel Air millionaire. In his final decades, he was swept up by his Jewishness. It had always been there, of course, but now he seized upon it like a new role. At the age of 83, he had a second barmitzvah and when asked (by the critic and editor Leon Wieseltier) whether he had always followed the dietary prescriptions of Yom Kippur when working, he replied: “I did, and you have no idea the difficulty in making love to Lana Turner on an empty stomach.”

Douglas married Diana Dill, an acting school classmate, in 1943; they divorced eight years later. In 1954 he married Ann Buydens, and she survives him along with their son, Peter, and the sons from his first marriage, Michael and Joel. Another son from his second marriage, Eric, died in 2004.

Looking at his list of films, I've seen none of them. The only thing I've seen him in was this Simpsons episode:

You're free to type "I'm Spartacus" into youtube at your own leisure. Douglas died at 103, so he's worth 22 Base Points. Vice-Captains are 33, Captains are 44. 

22: @50/50 Winner, @Blootoon87, @cambozpar, @cdisaaccie, @choirbairn, @HI HAT, @ICTJohnboy, @JustOneCornetto, @LondonHMFC, @LoonsYouthTeam, @Mark Connolly, @Meden89, @microdave, @psv_killie, @pub car king, @Scotty Tunbridge, @Sergeant Wilson, @shuggz

33: @Cardinal Richelieu

44@Ben Twilly, @CountyFan, @doulikefish, @statts1976uk

As a result, the standings now look like this:

1. Bishop Briggs 242
2. JustOneCornetto 173
3. alta-pete, sparky88 124
5. Musketeer Gripweed 96
6. thistledo 94
7. Ned Nederlander 72
8. choirbairn, ICTJohnboy 51
10. chomp my root, Fuctifano, Ludo*1, mathematics, Speckled Tangerine, The_Craig, weirdcal 48
17. Ben Twilly, CountyFan, doulikefish, statts1976uk sureiknow 44
22. 50/50 Winner, Blootoon87, cambozpar, cdisaaccie, HI HAT, LondonHMFC, LoonsYouthTeam, Mark Connolly, Meden89, microdave, psv_killie, pub car king, Scotty Tunbridge, Sergeant Wilson, shuggz 22
37. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V64rLXKhrmZf-6K4D3RyN3cR5Z_i2rh-ztODUB_dQyI/edit?usp=sharing