The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2020

Previous editions of Dead Pool clarified that not only was picking a celebrity who happened to be ill allowed, but it was encouraged, as being good strategy. It's only disallowed if the illness is their main cause for them being famous.
You'll find a fair few Dead Pool picks in there who are listed as being terminally ill, but obligingly got themselves famous first.
'sake. Should probably have read the rules first. Barbara Windsor a stick on now then.

Previous editions of Dead Pool clarified that not only was picking a celebrity who happened to be ill allowed, but it was encouraged, as being good strategy. It's only disallowed if the illness is their main cause for them being famous.
You'll find a fair few Dead Pool picks in there who are listed as being terminally ill, but obligingly got themselves famous first.

There’s a case for mandatory euthanasia (or murder, for our Celtic brethren) for all non famous people with terminal diseases. It’d really help Dead Pool newbies.

15 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Robert Archibald, the only Scot to have played in the NBA can only manage a couple of three pointers at 39.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/basketball/51248659?__twitter_impression=true

Don't believe that stat for one instant.

NBA been around since the end of WW2 and includes Canadian teams.

0% chance of that being true, no matter what the beeb says.

19 hours ago, charon said:

Don't believe that stat for one instant.

NBA been around since the end of WW2 and includes Canadian teams.

0% chance of that being true, no matter what the beeb says.

It does seem unlikely, charon, but it seems it's true.  https://basketball.realgm.com/national/teams/48/Scotland/nba_players

1 hour ago, The DA said:

It does seem unlikely, charon, but it seems it's true.  https://basketball.realgm.com/national/teams/48/Scotland/nba_players

Just assumed some Canadians wid've been born here if nothing else.

Anyhoo, the manager of Racing Club for those 3 games v Celtic , Juan Pizzuti has died at 92.

Which meant I spent yesterday rewatching those brutal games.

Which led me to watching Argentina v Holland full game from 78.

And lo and behold the Great Rob Resenbrink has died.

He almost won it for Holland, right at the end

All time top scorer in the ECWC with 25 and Cruyff doppelganger.

Week 4 update

Two deaths this week. First up was Terry Jones, Monty Python member: https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2020/jan/22/terry-jones-obituary

I'm not even going to try and quote a single part of that, it goes on forever. I have virtually no knowledge of any Monty Python things. My experience and knowledge of it has been conducted entirely though the internet, and I generally find people who repeat their punchlines to be quite boring. I remember sitting in higher geography once where the subject somehow came on to lumberjacks. Our teacher showed us a video of the Lumberjack Song and was clearly expecting us to find it as hilarious as he did. "Bemused silence" is probably the best way I'd describe the actual reaction. 

Part of the reason I've never cared to find anything else out about this sort of output is that the people in the troupe give me the creeps. John Cleese and Eric Idle would be good entries for that heebie jeebies thread for me. Fortunately I can honestly say I don't recognise Terry Jones at all. I'm also largely ambivalent towards Michael Palin, so here's a video of him talking about him:

Jones was picked 11 times. He was 77 when he died, so he's worth 48 Base Points for @Bishop Briggs, @chomp my root, @Fuctifano, @JustOneCornetto, @Ludo*1, @mathematics, @speckled tangerine, @The_Craig and @weirdcal. He was worth 72 as @Ned Nederlander's Vice-Captain, and 96 as @Musketeer Gripweed's Captain.

As a result, the standings look like this:

1. Bishop Briggs 148
2. alta-pete, sparky88 124

4. Musketeer Gripweed 96
5. Ned Nederlander 72
6. chomp my root, Fuctifano, JustOneCornetto, Ludo*1, mathematics, Speckled Tangerine, The_Craig, weirdcal 48
13. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V64rLXKhrmZf-6K4D3RyN3cR5Z_i2rh-ztODUB_dQyI/edit?usp=sharing

Also dying this week was former footballer, Rob Rensenbrink. I... I can't find an obituary for this. The only UK links so far are from Yahoo which I personally don't count as a 'UK-based' website, and something called This is Money, which isn't a general news site and which seems to very closely resemble the Daily Mail's website. Not sure what's going on there. Resenbrink died on Friday so I suppose there's a chance it gets picked up by more mainstream sources next week, but to me he doesn't seem eligible currently. I'm happy to open that up to general debate. I remember last year there was a comparable case - Robin Herd, who was only picked up by ESPN. Like that Yahoo link the URL started uk.espn, which is what makes me lean towards it not being UK-based.