The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2020

2 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Cancer can be cured in many cases in this day and age.   Unlike MND it is not necessarily terminal.

Presumably Doddie Weir, who it can be safely guaranteed, will not be here this time next year, is one of your picks?

What's the guarantee that he won't be here next year?

You only have to look at how long Ricksen and Joost Van Der Westhuizen lasted to know MND doesn't do guarantees

27 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

You only have to look at how long Ricksen and Joost Van Der Westhuizen lasted to know MND doesn't do guarantees

Indeed. Doddie was up and about and walking on his own legs, and really didn't look like he was circling the drain at the Sports Personality awards a couple of weeks back. We should just go with the working assumption that ICTJohnnyboy is at it, and what he's saying in this thread is just him trying to mindgame the other players into altering their picks to maximise his bonuses. Fair play to him, that's what I'd be doing if I was in his position. Which I am.

Edited by Aim Here

7 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

6 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Indeed. Doddie was up and about and walking on his own legs, and really didn't look like he was circling the drain at the Sports Personality awards a couple of weeks back. We should just go with the working assumption that ICTJohnnyboy is at it, and what he's saying in this thread is just him trying to mindgame the other players into altering their picks to maximise his bonuses. Fair play to him, that's what I'd be doing if I was in his position. Which I am.

Sorry boys and girls!

I honestly don't want to spoil anyone's fun on here - the Dead Pool threads on here over the years have been very entertaining and long may that continue.

As I mentioned previously I lost a couple of friends, one a particularly close one, through this particularly nasty disease, and have seen at first hand the effects it has, not just on the victims, but on those close to them. Just watching and listening to Doddie Weir the night of the Sportsview Personality Awards brought back painful memories for me, and made me realise he hasn't got long for this world.

There has been several cases of MND sufferers heading for Switzerland where assisted suicide is lawful, and if I ever contracted this awful disease, that's exactly what I would want to do.

Decent article here on MND :

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/the-choice-between-living-in-hell-and-dying-in-peace-1.428720

Personally I won't be picking Weir for my 2020 team, but I won't hold it against anyone who wants to go for some easy points here!

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

You're too late.

My pleasure in revelling in celebrity deaths has been ruined. I don't know how I come back from this.

I hope you're happy!

Me too.  I'm going to submit my team and hope they all make it through to the end of 2020.  Otherwise I'd just feel dreadful.

I don't like your new firing squad rule. It's clear that the best strategy is to use up a pick making the very boring Prince Philip (or whoever) choice because there's a big bonus for picking him, and no great reason for not picking him. It's a non-decision. The only way it makes the game more interesting is if Prince Philip dies before the end of the year and everyone has to try to guess who the nextmost popular choice is.
I think the intent of the rule, of taking pity on the zero pointers, is reasonable.Without too much thought going into it, the way I'd suggest achieving the same goal next year would be for someone who picks a team that lasts to the end of the year, give them a small age-dependent points bonus on their picks' total ages (age divided by a factor of something like 6 or so, maybe) so that you might get a good score if you are canny enough to pick a team of centenarians who last out the year. Something that eliminates zero-pointers while having all the picks be meaningful choices.
Prince Philip and the Queen must be a good double

I'm going to go through the entries I have so far properly on Thursday - I've been putting it off because I completely forgot what I did last year, but I've remembered. Based on the few of you who have replies so far though, please make sure you can count. 15 names, lads. Not 10, not 20. 15.