The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2020

1 minute ago, Aim Here said:

Peter Sutcliffe and John Le Carré.

No, Peter Sutcliffe was my captain this year. Scored me my only points of 2020. Your right about Le Carré. Forgot about him. 
Thanks though. 

1 minute ago, Shotgun said:

No, Peter Sutcliffe was my captain this year. Scored me my only points of 2020. Your right about Le Carré. Forgot about him. 
Thanks though. 

Ooops, you're right. The other one was Barbara Windsor.

(I was just reading it from the list of 2019 picks - the high score table above was calculated via spreadsheet formulae and doesn't spit out the actual picks).

2 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Ooops, you're right. The other one was Barbara Windsor.

(I was just reading it from the list of 2019 picks - the high score table above was calculated via spreadsheet formulae and doesn't spit out the actual picks).

Ah, got it. Cheers. 

On 01/01/2021 at 11:14, Ned Nederlander said:

Just dropped all last year's survivors :unsure2:

And the first of those pops his clogs:

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/former-real-ira-leader-michael-mckevitt-dies-following-illness-39923969.html

Looks like it's been given as the 2nd of January.

One of those we hope don't rest in peace.

Edited by Ned Nederlander

37 minutes ago, Ned Nederlander said:

And the first of those pops his clogs:

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/former-real-ira-leader-michael-mckevitt-dies-following-illness-39923969.html

Looks like it's been given as the 2nd of January.

One of those we hope don't rest in peace.

So far only the Belfast Telegraph seems to have picked it up. Maybe you were right to drop him!

3 minutes ago, Ned Nederlander said:

He's listed in a few sources now so it's legit.

Not disputing he's dead, but if if he was to die and not leave a qualifying obit you might have dodged a bullet; it's not obvious that the BelTel is national enough to qualify for the rules.

2 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Not disputing he's dead, but if if he was to die and not leave a qualifying obit you might have dodged a bullet; it's not obvious that the BelTel is national enough to qualify for the rules.

I see,  got you now - he was one of those convicted of the Omagh bombing so presumably he'll eventually get a mention over here.

1 hour ago, Aim Here said:

1 hour ago, Ned Nederlander said:

I see,  got you now - he was one of those convicted of the Omagh bombing so presumably he'll eventually get a mention over here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-55516992

Sare yin to lose out on points this early into the new year.

Week 52 update

2020 takes the piss one last time and offers up three deaths in the final four days. Up first, French fashion man Pierre Cardin: Obituary: Pierre Cardin - BBC News

Fashion designer Pierre Cardin was a supreme innovator - for 70 years, he ripped up convention and captured the zeitgeist. His thirst for the new and surprising was never satisfied.

He will be remembered for his futuristic designs - some were inspired by the space age, some were even impossible to wear.

He carved his own way through the fashion industry. Parisian haute couture had always been exclusive - its high priests believed it should be high-end, individually tailored and eye-wateringly expensive.

Cardin broke the mould. He launched "ready-to-wear" collections, bringing high fashion to the middle classes. His designer peers were aghast, and threw him out of their club.

In the 1950s, men wore traditional suits which made the young look like their fathers. Cardin threw out the boxy jackets and stiff white shirts, creating a revolutionary look for a new, progressive generation.

Gone were the bulky details; collars, lapels, tails and cuffs. Trousers were tapered and hung loosely on the hips.

Riveting. He died at 98 so he's worth 27 Base Points, which the Deadly December bonus makes 54. Points for @50/50 Winner, @CountyFan, @doulikefish and @dundeefc1783.

=========================

Up next this week was an MP you've probably never heard of, Ronald Atkins: Ron Atkins: UK's longest living former MP dies aged 104 - BBC News

Ron Atkins, the UK's longest living former MP, has died aged 104.

The Labour politician twice represented Preston North in Lancashire from 1966 to 1970 and again from 1974 to 1979.

Mr Atkins, who later served as a Preston councillor until he was 92, "passed away peacefully" at his home in Avenham, Preston.

Elizabeth Atkins added that her husband had "devoted his life to the Labour Party" and was "driven by making the world better".

She said he would be remembered for bringing a polytechnic - now the University of Central Lancashire - to Preston instead of Blackburn, and for saving the Preston-Ormskirk railway line.

Mrs Atkins, who is a councillor for Ashton ward, said: "He was staunch Labour all his life and highly respected.

"He was a real guiding force; the Labour group in Preston called him 'the guru'."

Ach, he sounds like he led a good life. He was worth 21 Base Points. He was a Solo Shot for @sjc and the Deadly December bonus adds an extra 21, giving a total of 92 points.

=========================

Finally, last death this year was former football player and manager Tommy Docherty: Tommy Docherty, former Manchester United and Scotland manager, dies aged 92 | Football | The Guardian

Docherty died at home in the north-west on 31 December. A family spokesperson said in a statement: “Tommy passed away peacefully surrounded by his family at home. He was a much-loved husband, father and papa and will be terribly missed. We ask that our privacy be respected at this time. There will be no further comment.”

His time at Preston included an appearance in the 1954 FA Cup final and 22 of his 25 Scotland caps, playing twice in the 1954 World Cup in Switzerland and being in the squad for the 1958 finals in Sweden.

In 1958 Docherty joined Arsenal, where he in effect ended his playing career. Although he made a few appearances for Chelsea after moving to Stamford Bridge in February 1961, the switch brought about his first step into coaching and management.

He was unable to prevent Chelsea from being relegated from the top flight at the end of the 1961-62 season but they bounced back at the first attempt. In 1964-65 they won the League Cup with a 3-2 aggregate victory over Leicester but lost the 1967 FA Cup final 2-1 to Tottenham.

The Glaswegian left to become manager of unfashionable Rotherham and memorably said: “I promised I would take Rotherham out of the Second Division – and I took them into the Third. The old chairman said: ‘Doc, you’re a man of your word!”’

He left Rotherham after a year and began racking up a dizzying number of clubs. He had spells at QPR, Aston Villa and Porto and a spell as assistant manager to Terry Neill at Hull before leaving in 1971 to become manager of Scotland, first on a temporary basis, then permanently.

I'm going to be honest lads, this is another one before my time and he doesn't seem to have achieved much. I have too much to do today to be considerate so Tommy's friends and family get my sincerest condolences.

Docherty died at 92 so he's worth 33 Base Points. That's doubled for Deadly December and gets an extra 25 for the Last Gasp bonus. That means 91 points for @Ben Twilly, @expatowner and @Sergeant Wilson.

After all of that and for the final time this year, the standings look like this:

1. Bishop Briggs 520
2. JustOneCornetto 464
3. pub car king 410
4. Melanius Mularkey 398
5. Ned Nederlander 387
6. speckled tangerine 370
7. ToBeSomeone 366
8. thistledo 361
9. Musketeer Gripweed 343
10. peasy23 340

11. chomp my root, The_Craig 337
13. The DA 321
14. Fuctifano 320
15. Arabdownunder 309

16. Aim Here 300
17. cdisaaccie 295
18. alta-pete 287
19. sparky88 286
20. Lofarl 281
21. Sergeant Wilson 279
21. paulathame 272
22. Karpaty Lviv 271
23. Savage Henry 266
24. Billy Jean King 263
25. Flybhoy 257
26. weirdcal 250
27. 50/50 Winner 226
28. sjc 217
29. expatowner 216

30. psv_killie 206
31. Ben Twilly 198
31. dundeefc1783 196

32. dee_62 186
33. sureiknow 184
34. Mark Connolly 183
35. ICTJohnboy 176
36. qos_75 171
37. sleazy 169
38. microdave 168
39. lichtgilphead 166

40. Arch Stanton 164
41. D.V.T. 160

42. Bobby Skidmarks 155
43. CountyFan 152
44. choirbairn 150
45. Meden89 149

46. weejack 140
47. Indale Winton 134
48. Scotty Tunbridge 127

49. pawpar 124
50. statts1976uk 123
51. Bold Rover 122
52. gingette 119

53. The Naitch 111
54. Perkin Flump, The Master 106
56. Salvo Montalbano 105

57. 101 103
58. Shotgun 102
59. doulikefish 98

60. LoonsYouthTeam 96
61. Hamish's Passenger 94
62. BWAClyde 84
63. Ludo*1 83
64. HI HAT 69
65. lolls 67
66. Blootoon87 60
67. 19QOS19 58
68. Sweaty Morph 57

69. mathematics 48
70. BillyAnchor, RussellAnderson 47
72. Raidernation 45

73. cambozpar, LondonHMFC 44
75. 10menwent2mow 37
76. wellinwigan 35

77. Cardinal Richelieu 33
78. shuggz 22

ZERO POINTERS - @Eednud, @Empty It, @Henderson to deliver ....., @Miguel Sanchez, @senorsoupe, @thisal

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V64rLXKhrmZf-6K4D3RyN3cR5Z_i2rh-ztODUB_dQyI/edit?usp=sharing

And after... well, fucking loads of people dying in 2020, and after I've checked everyone's teams as best as possible, I can confirm that your Dead Pool 2020 winner is @Bishop Briggs! I gather you've been playing for years so well done on finally finishing top of the pile. 7 hits, a Solo Shot, a Deadly Duo and a Vice-captain bringing this one home. Congratulations.