The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2020

8 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

You ungrateful sod! Cardin timed his demise to get you a Deadly December AND a really good chance at a Last Gasp bonus to spang you upwards of 20 places up the leaderboard, and you're moaning at him? If you're unhappy with your score, I'd address it to the other slackers in your team. This guy totally pulled his weight. It'd be more surprising if the teammember who gets the Last Gasp bonus didn't cause a bit of admin inconvenience for next year's picks.

--

In other news, Cardin was the 63rd Dead Pool hit of 2020. That means that 2020 is now officially at least 50% more lethal than 2019, which had 42 hits (despite a very similar number of unique celebrities being named). It's not clear whether we can attribute it to Coronavirus or to the players here being better at picking teams, but the relatively covid-free months of January to March 2020 had a hit-rate much more in line with the rest of this year than last year, which is a mild hint at the latter.

So congratulations, everybody, on a much better collective effort in 2020. Good job guys - we've really stepped up this year!

(Weirdly, we've only scored roughly 3/4 as many points but that's because a lot of 2019's most popular hits were young, publicly ill folks like Andrew Fairlie, Fernando Ricksen and Leah Bracknell, whereas 2020's scoring players were on average, 15 years older, partly due to a high number of centenarian stalwarts - such as Kirk, Olivia, Vera - choosing this year to rack up their points)

Good research and report, AH. I'm glad no one takes Dead Pool too seriously.

16 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

You ungrateful sod! Cardin timed his demise to get you a Deadly December AND a really good chance at a Last Gasp bonus to spang you upwards of 20 places up the leaderboard, and you're moaning at him? If you're unhappy with your score, I'd address it to the other slackers in your team. This guy totally pulled his weight. It'd be more surprising if the teammember who gets the Last Gasp bonus didn't cause a bit of admin inconvenience for next year's picks.

--

In other news, Cardin was the 63rd Dead Pool hit of 2020. That means that 2020 is now officially at least 50% more lethal than 2019, which had 42 hits (despite a very similar number of unique celebrities being named). It's not clear whether we can attribute it to Coronavirus or to the players here being better at picking teams, but the relatively covid-free months of January to March 2020 had a hit-rate much more in line with the rest of this year than last year, which is a mild hint at the latter.

So congratulations, everybody, on a much better collective effort in 2020. Good job guys - we've really stepped up this year!

(Weirdly, we've only scored roughly 3/4 as many points but that's because a lot of 2019's most popular hits were young, publicly ill folks like Andrew Fairlie, Fernando Ricksen and Leah Bracknell, whereas 2020's scoring players were on average, 15 years older, partly due to a high number of centenarian stalwarts - such as Kirk, Olivia, Vera - choosing this year to rack up their points)

How does that compare to the great purge of 2016?

9 minutes ago, The Naitch said:

How does that compare to the great purge of 2016?

I wasn't around then, but from the thread, the hit-rate appears to be similar to that of 2019 - 48 hits out of 587 contestants,  compared to 2019's 42/516. It's muddied by there being a substitution rule in place, though, so it might even be slightly less.

1 hour ago, Aim Here said:

--

Worth noting, again, that 2014's winner - long-since departed from these environs - achieved his victory with 2 (two) hits. Have I ever mentioned that I was second that year?

26 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I've had 2 hits this year, one of whom was a solo-shot yet I'm down in 38th!

In 2014, MoWonderboy achieved 2 megahits with junior contestants, solo. It was never established whether he broke the rule banning killing. But he seemed to disappear shortly thereafter.

42 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

It's tough sledding this, really need your captain or a slew of solos to hit to win. 5 out of 15 for me including my VC but still outside the top 10.

Any excuse to play with a spreadsheet, so I tested this. You're 14th right now, assuming nobody else dies this year. If we eliminated Captain, VC, Solo Shot, and Deadly Duo bonuses, you'd still be 14th!

Some of the other folks around you are shuffled a bit (roughly half the top ten would still be the top ten). From the looks of things, most of the shuffling would be down to the solo-shot bonuses, but even those are marginal (only one person got 3 solos), and deliberately loading your roster with solo shots is actually a counterproductive strategy - the less popular your roster is, in general, the worse you do. That 50-point solo shot bonus is a tempting way of roughly doubling your score per hit, but it's not enough to offset the fact that the collective P&B hive mind is nearly four times smarter than you at picking hits. The solo shot bonus is a devious machiavellian trap - a cunning lure that exploits people's cognitive bias and overconfidence and causes them to deploy non-optimal strategies.

That said, in each of the last two years, one person loaded with solo shots has done rather well (11th and 7th respectively) so it is a viable high-risk strategy. I'm hoping for a 15-solo roster in 2021.

2021 will be my 7th deadpool. Took a couple of years to work out what I was doing before settling into solid but not spectacular form. Hoping for a tragic 2021 to break into the top 10 

Year Deaths Points Position
2015 1 41 67
2016 3 143 40
2017 5 298 17
2018 4 301 11
2019 6 375 16
2020* 5 309 15

*assuming no deaths before Friday