The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2020

Week 51 update

Two deaths this week. Up first is cricket man John Edrich: John Edrich obituary | Cricket | The Guardian

The cricketer John Edrich, who has died aged 83 after suffering from leukaemia, was one of the best English top order batsmen of the 20th century. Short, stocky, bushy-eyebrowed and brave, he played 77 times for his country between 1963 and 1976, and had an especially good record against the two best sides of his era – Australia and West Indies. In 1970-71, his superb batting performances were one of the key reasons that England managed to win the Ashes in Australia for the first time since 1956, and with Geoffrey Boycott in the late 1960s and early 70s he created a formidable opening partnership that provided many good platforms in Test matches. His best score, 310 not out against New Zealand, is the fifth highest for England in Tests.

In county cricket, Edrich was a leading figure for Surrey, whom he captained in his later days and with whom, from 1958 to 1978, he accumulated most of his 39,790 career runs, one of the highest tallies in history and at an impressive average of 45.47. By the end of his career, he had also become one of the rare breed of cricketers to have scored 100 hundreds (103 in all), putting him in the company of greats such as WG Grace, Jack Hobbs and Wally Hammond.

Edrich’s greatest asset was his gritty concentration and discipline, allied to the unusual skill of being able to treat each ball as it came, no matter what had gone before. He was also tough, shrugging off countless nasty injuries inflicted by the world’s fastest bowlers, some of which might have permanently unnerved lesser characters. While he was pugnacious rather than stylish, he could exhibit an aggressive, almost carefree intent when the fancy took him, and was a ruthless dispatcher of bad deliveries, using his strong forearms to punch the ball to midwicket or through the covers. There was no better example of his capacity for extravagance than his 310 at Headingley in 1965, during which he scored more runs in boundaries – 52 fours and five sixes – than anyone has ever managed in a Test innings.

Seems like he was quite good at cricket. He died at 83 so he's worth 42 Base Points, which is doubled with the Deadly December bonus. He was a Solo Shot for @ToBeSomeone for an extra 50 for a total of 134 points.

=======================

The second death this week was former Dundee United manager Jim McLean: Jim McLean, title-winning Dundee United manager, dies aged 83 | Dundee United | The Guardian

Dundee United's YouTube channel put up an hour long documentary about his time in charge last night:

The thread about him in the Premiership forum is worth reading now and I'm sure it'll continue to be filled with stories and memories from fans of all clubs:

To try and put this into some meagre context, I'm going to list United's achievements before and during McLean's time there. They won the Scottish second tier - as it was - in 1924 and 1929. McLean became manager and in his 22 years there they won the league, two league cups, six cup finals, a UEFA cup final and a European cup semi-final. It's a record that speaks for itself. Although a lot of the deaths on this thread are people before my time watching football/listening to music/watching films, the 1980s are just close enough for my life for this to not seem that long ago. The notion of a club the size of Dundee United winning titles and reaching European finals - getting cheated out of more European finals - is completely unthinkable now, but it's such a prominent and comparatively recent part of Scottish football's history that it doesn't feel like a lifetime ago. 

My own memories of Jim McLean are comprised wholly of reading his column in the Daily Record and feeling sorry for his wife Doris. For once I'd recommend the articles on the websites of papers like the Record and the Sun right now. They're reverential, but honest. As  much as it's a cliche, the one thing that's certain is that we'll never see someone with his ability and achievements in Scottish football again. 

McLean died at 83, so he's worth 42 Base Points. A Deadly December bonus doubles that, with 84 points for @dundeefc1783, @microdave, @pub car king, @The DA and @The Master. He was Vice-Captain for @Arabdownunder who gets an extra 21 for 105, and Captain for @D.V.T. who gets an extra 42 for a total of 126 points. I'm not going to add in the Last Gasp Bonus yet, but that also currently stands to apply to McLean. 

As a result of all this, the standings now look like this:

1. Bishop Briggs 520
2. JustOneCornetto 464
3. pub car king 410
4. Melanius Mularkey 398
5. Ned Nederlander 387
6. speckled tangerine 370
7. ToBeSomeone 366
8. thistledo 361
9. Musketeer Gripweed 343
10. peasy23 340

11. chomp my root, The_Craig 337
13. The DA 321
14. Fuctifano 320
15. Arabdownunder 309

16. Aim Here 300
17. cdisaaccie 295
18. alta-pete 287
19. sparky88 286
20. Lofarl 281
21. paulathame 272
22. Karpaty Lviv 271
23. Savage Henry 266
24. Billy Jean King 263
25. Flybhoy 257
26. weirdcal 250

27. psv_killie 206
28. Sergeant Wilson 188
29. dee_62 186

30. sureiknow 184
31. Mark Connolly 183
32. ICTJohnboy 176
33. 50/50 Winner 172
34. qos_75 171
35. sleazy 169
36. microdave 168
37. lichtgilphead 166

38. Arch Stanton 164
39. D.V.T. 160

40. Bobby Skidmarks 155
41. choirbairn 150
42. Meden89 149
43. dundeefc1873 142

44. weejack 140
45. Indale Winton 134
46. Scotty Tunbridge 127

47. expatowner, sjc 125
48. pawpar 124

49. statts1976uk 123
50. Bold Rover 122
51. gingette 119

52. The Naitch 111
53. Ben Twilly 107
54. Perkin Flump, The Master 106
56. Salvo Montalbano 105

57. 101 103
58. Shotgun 102

59. CountyFan 98
60. LoonsYouthTeam 96

61. Hamish's Passenger 94
62. BWAClyde 84
63. Ludo*1 83
64. HI HAT 69
65. lolls 67
66. Blootoon87 60
67. 19QOS19 58
68. Sweaty Morph 57

69. mathematics 48
70. BillyAnchor, RussellAnderson 47
72. Raidernation 45

73. doulikefish,  cambozpar, LondonHMFC 44
76. 10menwent2mow 37
77. wellinwigan 35

78. Cardinal Richelieu 33
79. shuggz 22

ZERO POINTERS - @Eednud, @Empty It, @Henderson to deliver ....., @Miguel Sanchez, @senorsoupe, @thisal

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V64rLXKhrmZf-6K4D3RyN3cR5Z_i2rh-ztODUB_dQyI/edit?usp=sharing

Since next Sunday will be the last update for the 2020 Dead Pool, I should add that I'll go through every pick then to make sure nobody's missed out on any deaths. I don't think we have any picks this year who died without a qualifying obituary, but outright missing people is still possible. Remember that if you want to play next year you only have a few days left to get your team in. 

55 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Mon the iron sheikh do the honourable thing and win this.

He’s immortal. No chance. If he’s not dead now with the amount of coke and booze he’s done he’ll live to 100 at least. 

Lee Wallace - https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/new-york-ny/lee-wallace-9957038

"Lee did many years in the regional theatre and at his first love, Broadway. He appeared in "Zalman or the Madness of God", "Grind", "Some of My Best Friends" and others. Off Broadway he was in many commercials and films ("Batman", "Taking of Pelham 1-2-3", "Private Benjamin".) "

Edited by Bishop Briggs

5 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Lee Wallace - https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/new-york-ny/lee-wallace-9957038

"Lee did many years in the regional theatre and at his first love, Broadway. He appeared in "Zalman or the Madness of God", "Grind", "Some of My Best Friends" and others. Off Broadway he was in many commercials and films ("Batman", "Taking of Pelham 1-2-3", "Private Benjamin".) "

Grass....

...is what he'll be six feet under.

3 hours ago, JustOneCornetto said:

A Design For Life Death - Pierre Cardin at 98

In my team for this year but i had also had him in next years aswell..totally selfish to pop his clogs and not  hold on until friday imo 

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

In my team for this year but i had also had him in next years aswell..totally selfish to pop his clogs and not  hold on until friday imo 

Think there are 3 others with him too so no Solo or Duo bonus but still decent points with the Deadly December bonus and possible Last Shot which would give total of 79 points

Edited by JustOneCornetto

2 hours ago, doulikefish said:

You ungrateful sod! Cardin timed his demise to get you a Deadly December AND a really good chance at a Last Gasp bonus to spang you upwards of 20 places up the leaderboard, and you're moaning at him? If you're unhappy with your score, I'd address it to the other slackers in your team. This guy totally pulled his weight. It'd be more surprising if the teammember who gets the Last Gasp bonus didn't cause a bit of admin inconvenience for next year's picks.

--

In other news, Cardin was the 63rd Dead Pool hit of 2020. That means that 2020 is now officially at least 50% more lethal than 2019, which had 42 hits (despite a very similar number of unique celebrities being named). It's not clear whether we can attribute it to Coronavirus or to the players here being better at picking teams, but the relatively covid-free months of January to March 2020 had a hit-rate much more in line with the rest of this year than last year, which is a mild hint at the latter.

So congratulations, everybody, on a much better collective effort in 2020. Good job guys - we've really stepped up this year!

(Weirdly, we've only scored roughly 3/4 as many points but that's because a lot of 2019's most popular hits were young, publicly ill folks like Andrew Fairlie, Fernando Ricksen and Leah Bracknell, whereas 2020's scoring players were on average, 15 years older, partly due to a high number of centenarian stalwarts - such as Kirk, Olivia, Vera - choosing this year to rack up their points)