Morton v Queens

15 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Shocker calling it off so late. There was no news about an inspection either. 

Not as if Morton havent been tweeting either.

Not much they could probably do to prevent it, but theres need to be something in place to prevent such late call offs affecting fans financially, like someone subsidising travel costs if it's called off this late. Doubt that would ever really work though.

The weather conditions were roughly a hundred times worse earlier in the week yet the Dundee United match went ahead fine: so this strikes me as a case of the ego-trip groundsman having dropped the ball again at great inconvenience to away fans and of course significant financial cost to both clubs. Three home Saturday games being called off for nonsense reasons in the past nine months is tinpot as f**k. 

8 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

The ref didn't even test the pitch in football boots. Absolute minter.

The Morton players are training on it now.

Just seen that, Hopkin apparently seething at the ref.

Doesnt even look close to being waterlogged there, ref presumably just cant be fucked.

I wasn't there, couldn't go today, but I'm told it was a strip 5 - 10 yards wide the length of the park in front of the stand that was the problem and it was pretty sodden. Our guys have gone back to Hamilton to train.

I presume this will now take place midweek in January, though I suppose we might wait to see if Morton lose to St Johnstone in the Scottish Cup and leave a free Saturday on Feb 8th for it.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Doesnt even look close to being waterlogged there, ref presumably just cant be fucked.

Erm yes, because a football stopping stone dead on the second bounce is definitely the sign of a credible playing surface. That and the Somme river carving itself out along the touchline. 

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

Erm yes, because a football stopping stone dead on the second bounce is definitely the sign of a credible playing surface. That and the Somme river carving itself out along the touchline. 

Scotland played a full 90 in far worse conditions against Kazakhstan just a month ago.

If you've got away fans travelling 100 miles, and you've still not decided an hour before kick off, you surely give the match a chance if that's all it is.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If you've got away fans travelling 100 miles, and you've still not decided an hour before kick off, you surely give the match a chance if that's all it is.

'Still not decided' presumes that there was an earlier and inconclusive inspection of the pitch by qualified officials: there wasn't, to the best of any publicly available knowledge. Instead the tinpot home club thought 'nah, this looks alright to us, don't bother mentioning it', only for the referee to rock up and decide quite correctly that they hadn't done their job properly and it was in fact now unplayable.

Quite what waiting around for another hour would have done is a mystery to anyone but yourself, seeing as it is unlikely to stay dry for the next five minutes never mind the rest of the afternoon, and Greenock in December isn't exactly known for its baking heat either. 

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just seen that, Hopkin apparently seething at the ref.

The ball was still moving better than it does on any of the plastic pitches. Check him tiptoeing about as if there was actually puddles to avoid 😂

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

'Still not decided' presumes that there was an earlier and inconclusive inspection of the pitch by qualified officials: there wasn't, to the best of any publicly available knowledge. Instead the tinpot home club thought 'nah, this looks alright to us, don't bother mentioning it', only for the referee to rock up and decide quite correctly that they hadn't done their job properly and it was in fact now unplayable.

Quite what waiting around for another hour would have done is a mystery to anyone but yourself, seeing as it is unlikely to stay dry for the next five minutes never mind the rest of the afternoon, and Greenock in December isn't exactly known for its baking heat either. 

My point is the pitch doesn't look anywhere near bad enough to be called off an hour before the game, especially if, as folk are saying, its just one strip of the pitch thats the issue. 

You can't have fans travelling so far, then cancelling the game so close to kick off, when the pitch is still playable.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

My point is the pitch doesn't look anywhere near bad enough to be called off an hour before the game, especially if, as folk are saying, its just one strip of the pitch thats the issue. 

You can't have fans travelling so far, then cancelling the game so close to kick off, when the pitch is still playable.

If you travel & can't be fucking arsed merely checking a weather report for your destination then I'm sorry, no sympathy from me.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Your 'point' is truly moronic one then, given that:

i) the time of the game being called off is irrelevant - the bar for having a terrible pitch doesn't suddenly rise closer to kick-off under the rules

ii) if one strip of the pitch is unplayable then the entire pitch is unfit to host a professional football match

This is entirely straightfoward stuff. 

Except that it isn't playable, which the video shows and does nothing but support the referee's decision.

That Hopkin wants to  vaunt his latest tantrum in public by training the players on an entirely different area of the park is irrelevant to the referee's call, but underlines the utterly cringeworthy nature of the current managment and boardroom team at Cappielow, who once again want to blame everyone else for their own failings.