Morton v Queens

Yet another example of home club not properly communicating the position with the state of the playing surface. It is inconceivable that the Morton Ground Staff did not realise the strong probability that this match could be under threat :-

- no pitch inspection
- no message on website informing travelling fans that pitch is extremely heavy in places and further heavy rain could force a postponement

If home clubs were to do that early on visiting fans can either take the risk or stay put at home. Having travelled through I am not in the least surprised that this has happened - all clubs are desperate to avoid a Saturday postponement at all costs and they have got absolutely no thought whatsoever for visiting supporters.This has obviously only affected a small band of diehards but sums up exactly why our game is dying on its feet.

Yet another example of home club not properly communicating the position with the state of the playing surface. It is inconceivable that the Morton Ground Staff did not realise the strong probability that this match could be under threat :-

- no pitch inspection
- no message on website informing travelling fans that pitch is extremely heavy in places and further heavy rain could force a postponement

If home clubs were to do that early on visiting fans can either take the risk or stay put at home. Having travelled through I am not in the least surprised that this has happened - all clubs are desperate to avoid a Saturday postponement at all costs and they have got absolutely no thought whatsoever for visiting supporters.This has obviously only affected a small band of diehards but sums up exactly why our game is dying on its feet.

I was there today, travelled down from Aberdeenshire. It was really annoying, but it's the frequency of playing the same teams too many times that frustrates me the most!

10 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

- no pitch inspection

Yep, happened to us the week before Christmas in 2001 when a game at Palmerston was called off at 2pm and we were taken onto the pitch to see it was rock solid.

Let’s not get all high and mighty about Morton messing the Queens fans about when you’ve done the exact same thing to us in the past.

Yep, happened to us the week before Christmas in 2001 when a game at Palmerston was called off at 2pm and we were taken onto the pitch to see it was rock solid.
Let’s not get all high and mighty about Morton messing the Queens fans about when you’ve done the exact same thing to us in the past.

I am not - I am well aware that we have done exactly the same thing on numerous occasions and I have been equally critical of my own club when they have allowed fans to travel in horrible conditions knowing fully well that there is a 5% chance of a game going ahead. The collective problem here is that the Governing Body do not insist on Clubs following a strict criteria of communication to supporters when weather conditions are severe.

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I am not - I am well aware that we have done exactly the same thing on numerous occasions and I have been equally critical of my own club when they have allowed fans to travel in horrible conditions knowing fully well that there is a 5% chance of a game going ahead. The collective problem here is that the Governing Body do not insist on Clubs following a strict criteria of communication to supporters when weather conditions are severe.

Given that every other game in the SPFL went ahead yesterday, I’d wager that there was more than a 5% chance of yesterday’s game going ahead. The referee decided the pitch wasn’t good enough, a different referee may have disagreed.

It was raining yesterday, in Greenock. That’s hardly “severe” conditions. Incidentally, I don’t stay anywhere near Greenock and had to travel between two night shifts before turning back and going home at the Port at 2pm, So I’m not sitting from a position of being able to just shrug my shoulders and go to a nice warm pub to watch my coupon get humped instead. These things happen. Dry your eyes and move on.

18 hours ago, virginton said:

The weather conditions were roughly a hundred times worse earlier in the week yet the Dundee United match went ahead fine: so this strikes me as a case of the ego-trip groundsman having dropped the ball again at great inconvenience to away fans and of course significant financial cost to both clubs. Three home Saturday games being called off for nonsense reasons in the past nine months is tinpot as f**k. 

Jesus, where do you start with this? 

First, so the weather was "roughly a hundred times worse" on Tuesday? Really??  The pitch was perfectly playable on Tuesday, yes, despite huge amounts of rain over the previous four days. Maybe, just maybe, the ground staff had something to do with that? You'd think that would be factored into any, ahem, "fact-based analysis" - unless, of course, the analysis was just the usual cynical slanted pish. 

Second, with the exception of part of Friday the rain continued to bucket down.  The accumulation of nearly 7 days of pretty constant rain led to yesterday's cancellation, not the actions (or inactions)  of the head groundsman - that's a pretty ludicrous accusation, where's your proof? - just as 48 hours of below-freezing temperatures that had not been forecast led to the original Dundee United cancellation. 

Things are bad enough at Cappielow just now without this sort of unadulterated shift-stirring adding to the malaise. 

Feckin' idiot.  Like Toby says above, dry your eyes and move on.

Edited by Rudolph Hucker

SPFL Rule H11.2 says that Clubs should ensure that the pitch “is equipped with an efficient and effective drainage system so that it cannot become unplayable due to flooding”.

As well as providing for sanctions, Rule H12 says that if the Board is not satisfied the Rule has been complied with, it can require clubs to take such steps as are specified by the Board.

On 15/12/2019 at 04:22, Toby said:

That game was somehow passed on at 1pm, with no change in the weather in the hour that followed ( a clear sunny day). All of a sudden the initial inspection (made by who - a club official?) got overruled when the real referee showed up.

I’m not sure if it was this game, but I can recall an occasion where we called in a local referee for an early inspection, which passed. Only for the match referee to postpone the game at short notice upon his arrival with fans already arriving at the ground etc. I’ve a feeling Dunfermline were our opponents in that one though.

• 1 month later...

Pity, always like a midweek game under the lights but, as you say, with both teams papped out the Cup using the free Saturday makes sense.

And gives you  but more time to find another goalkeeper. Too bad for you that McCrorie’s loan wasn’t extended, seemed to be doing well with you guys?

Pity, always like a midweek game under the lights but, as you say, with both teams papped out the Cup using the free Saturday makes sense.
And gives you  but more time to find another goalkeeper. Too bad for you that McCrorie’s loan wasn’t extended, seemed to be doing well with you guys?
His loan was cancelled so he could go to Livi instead. He'll be hard to replace that's for sure.