T-H-I-S-T-L-E, A red and yellow team -vs- Bring it on home, Bring it on home, Inverness Caledonian Thistle

43 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Agree with Mantis that 2-2 would have been a fair result based on pressure and possession. Plastic Whistle set out their store to park the bus, defend deep and in numbers. BUT we just did not have the guile or the finishing touch to punish them. We tried to play like Barcelona but ended up looking like a Sunday League team. That is not the tactics on a frckin freezing, gale force windy, pisssing rain, waterlogged playing surface day. And we NEVER used width or attacked the bye line. The only times that we looked like scoring was from dead balls hoofed into the goalmouth. And Ridgers made 4-5 excellent saves whereas Fox was rarely tested. At Alloa I discarded the Smileys as it was a 3-4 all round performance. I will refrain until the morning !! But put it like this my train has been delayed due to damage to overhead lined. I can be wholly assured that such damage could not have been inflicted by Jordan White but the replacement was as late as Robbo's substitutions.  To me it is when other teams try to play football that we play football against them - and our defence and midfield relish. When we face teams that are defensive and encouraging US to take the initiative - we simply do not have the ammunition to blow the bestards away. Lets face it - Plastic Whistle were there for the taking. We simply have NOTHING up front. It has to be time to ditch White, Storey and Doran ?

Oh and introduce Todorov, McGregor and Walsh (when fit)

But not on chances created. PTFC deserved to win this game:  more incisive, more chances created.  The only time ICT looked like scoring was when they had a set piece. And to add: teams that 'park the bus' don't create more chances than the opposition. 

Edited by Lord Rosebury

Contradictions all over the shop, but hardly surprising from someone who uses the term “Plastic Whistle” without any hint of irony. Didn’t deserve to lose but openly admitting Ridgers made some excellent saves while his team created nothing. Aye, ok.

Ian McCall really is working miracles right now with this utter gang of a squad. Can’t wait until he can get some of his own bodies in.

image.thumb.png.c8602ef9ebf50c24c354463a66ec8413.png

If your goalie jumped this far behind the line in FIFA or Pro Ev you'd be furious at the AI.

Watched the highlights back and my previous belief was true, every ICT chance in the second half was from a corner or free kick, I think they had 5 or so where they got to the ball first without much pressure, we're probably slightly fortunate that only one went in.

That said, Zanatta probably owed us a goal after butchering a couple of 2 on 1s, and from the (admittedly unreliable BBC) stats we had 18 shots in total and 12 shots on target, which must be the highest for a long time.

Squad still needs a huge amount of turnover in January but there are finally some green shoots of recovery.

But not on chances created. PTFC deserved to win this game:  more incisive, more chances created.  The only time ICT looked like scoring was when they had a set piece. And to add: teams that 'park the bus' don't create more chances than the opposition. 
Parked the bus. Screenshot_20191215-110931.jpeg

11 hours ago, forameus said:

I think that's the first game that I remember in a long, long time that I didn't feel like we completely shat it after going ahead. It was hardly cigars oot when we went 2-1 up, but we seemed to cope with what was thrown at us fairly well. A lot of very encouraging stuff for us to ultimately forget next week if we lose. 

And top marks to McCall for throwing on an overweight Harkins as a striker, letting him get ironic cheers as he "chased" down balls, then watching him do what he really is good at with some wonderful passing. Two assists, and could have had a third with the best of the lot. If we can build a system where he doesn't have to move, he can play every minute for all I care. 

The patricians Ross Forbes

7 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Contradictions all over the shop, but hardly surprising from someone who uses the term “Plastic Whistle” without any hint of irony. Didn’t deserve to lose but openly admitting Ridgers made some excellent saves while his team created nothing. Aye, ok.

Ian McCall really is working miracles right now with this utter gang of a squad. Can’t wait until he can get some of his own bodies in.

I used "Plastic Whistle" as a term of endearment. Suggest you read again. The post was evidently from an Inverness perspective. Both Ridgers and Fox made a number of important stops. Inverness missed a spate of chances albeit from dead ball situations. The first half was dire. In the second half McCall "outplayed" Robbo. Two lines of four playing deep is "parking the bus" to me - but McCall noticed that we did not have the guile to break that down and the Plastic Whistle were very effective on the break. These are thing that win you games. I would have preferred Robbo to have gone for the hoof tactics. Merry feckin Xmas with your three point present.

21 hours ago, ClydebankJag said:

Do you shut your eyes when Miles Storey is on the pitch? That waster showed again today that he knows little other than getting his head down and running as fast as he can towards the opposition byeline?

Found it interesting that Storey's passes found more Jags players yesterday than in any matches when he actually played for us.

I was impressed by the amount of diving and moaning that the ICT players did. Robertson has truly built a team in his own image.

I used "Plastic Whistle" as a term of endearment. Suggest you read again. The post was evidently from an Inverness perspective. Both Ridgers and Fox made a number of important stops. Inverness missed a spate of chances albeit from dead ball situations. The first half was dire. In the second half McCall "outplayed" Robbo. Two lines of four playing deep is "parking the bus" to me - but McCall noticed that we did not have the guile to break that down and the Plastic Whistle were very effective on the break. These are thing that win you games. I would have preferred Robbo to have gone for the hoof tactics. Merry feckin Xmas with your three point present.

15 breaks !

On 14/12/2019 at 17:12, Sir Tarmo Kink said:

Thought we were unlucky to lose 3-1. We were terrible but created quite a few chances and dominated possession. First half we edged it and I thought Thistle were the worst team I’ve seen all season. Second half we got sloppy and Thistle sharpened up to take advantage of our mistakes and the game only went one way then. Poor all round by us.

Well very thought provoking. Yes agree ICT had more possession of the ball and although many of my fellow Jags will disagree with me, I thought ICT were the better moving team over the 94/95 minutes. 

But......... 

First half Ridgers had two cracking saves (as did Fox) and

Second half how many times did we cut through your defence on the counter attack 4/5 - it was knife through butter stuff. 

Not bad for the worst team you have seen this season (did you feel the same when we beat you 3-1at Inverness?) 

I assume that the Jordan White penalty claim looked just as bad in the highlights as it did on Saturday?
I thought the booking was a bit harsh at the time and the highlights seem to confirm it. Saunders appears to lean into him causing him to go down. Certainly not a penalty. Perhaps his vociferous appeals just pissed- off the ref.