T-H-I-S-T-L-E, A red and yellow team -vs- Bring it on home, Bring it on home, Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Thought we were unlucky to lose 3-1. We were terrible but created quite a few chances and dominated possession. First half we edged it and I thought Thistle were the worst team I’ve seen all season. Second half we got sloppy and Thistle sharpened up to take advantage of our mistakes and the game only went one way then. Poor all round by us.

It's been a long time since I enjoyed a game as much as I did this afternoon. We now seem to be a real attacking proposition under McCall and could have scored more. Credit to the defence also who were made to work very hard by ICT and a wee special mention for the much maligned Ryan Williamson who had an excellent game.
Get Cole signed signed up till the end of the season pronto Ian.!

3 minutes ago, Sir Tarmo Kink said:

0 first half shots on target and not much of the ball suggests I certainly wasn’t. Can’t grudge Thistle the win but they must have had it extremely bad under Caldwell if that was their best performance.

I think yer sookin' soor plums pal. 

Mental that McCall failed so badly with Ayr against ICT but can pump us silly with a, in theory, worse team.

Felt we were the better time whilst we tried to play football. When Partick went 2-1 up and we resorted to hoofball that was it for us.

Disappointing to say the least but at least we got our brolly back.

2 minutes ago, RiG said:

Mental that McCall failed so badly with Ayr against ICT but can pump us silly with a, in theory, worse team.

Felt we were the better time whilst we tried to play football. When Partick went 2-1 up and we resorted to hoofball that was it for us.

Disappointing to say the least but at least we got our brolly back.

This is a fair assessment. I think Mcall had definitely set us up to hit on the counter and get our passes off fast. Caley shaded the first half, but we were worth the win, albeit 3-1 made it look a lot more comfortable than it was.

Decent game and well deserved victory. Other than a 15min spell early in the second half thought the defence looked surprisingly comfortable.
3-1 possibly flattered us but all in all a thoroughly pleasing afternoon.
Delighted for Jones today - worked hard and great touch and finish for his goal. As said already .... Get Cole tied down for the rest of the season

Jones had a period where he seemed to f**k everything up - passes put of play, couldn't control the ball etc.

Said to my pal he was the worst player I'd seen in ages but I bet he scores today.

I hate being right.

2 hours ago, Sir Tarmo Kink said:

Thought we were unlucky to lose 3-1. We were terrible but created quite a few chances and dominated possession. First half we edged it and I thought Thistle were the worst team I’ve seen all season. Second half we got sloppy and Thistle sharpened up to take advantage of our mistakes and the game only went one way then. Poor all round by us.

I thought Thistle played quite well today at times, I think it’s highly unlikely that’s the worst performance you’ve seen from an opposition team this season, the championship is hardly full of quality.

58 minutes ago, RiG said:

Said to my pal he was the worst player I'd seen in ages but I bet he scores today.

Do you shut your eyes when Miles Storey is on the pitch? That waster showed again today that he knows little other than getting his head down and running as fast as he can towards the opposition byeline?

I was trying to think about why I have such a visceral  deep seated hatred for MFS when he at least tried when there are many others who didn't, I can only conclude it's because we paid a large - by our standards - sum of money for him to be useless, and also his shit hair, punchable face and general Nandos footballer look. The last 30 seconds where I could vent at him  (think I managed 17 consecutive abusive words) safe in the knowledge he couldn't ruin it for me was the perfect post Christmas night out hangover cure, pure adrenaline.

That said, i would agree Jones looked a bit like a competition winner in the first half which wasn't helped by having to chase endless punts. One was played forward by Cole, he just about got there in front of the ICT defender, then tried to lay it off to our nearest player who was... eh ... Cole that had hit it from about 20 yards inside his own half.

Thought we deserved to win based on the second half, Ridgers had 3 excellent saves and while chances from set pieces are still chances (and a goal apiece came from them)  I didn't think Inverness created anything from open play second half. Neither Fox nor Sneddon inspire confidence from those, Fox was 2 yards behind the goal line trying to save the goal.

Kenny Miller is a puzzle, I'm sure he wasn't signed to be winning tackles at left back and intercepting passes in his own half, and the incident in the first half where he decided to just start bollocking Williamson for over hitting the cross when the ball stayed in play and he could have chased it down was not good, but he does try like f**k. I think he was claiming the second goal as well which is probably another £1k out the budget for January.

I'd settle for a win over Morton and hopefully the January transfer window can plug a few holes.

Edited by Fuctifano

Thistle are rising again. I take back what I said after Dunfermline about McCall cos he might just have us going somewhere now and I don't mean down the way. 

It's brilliant to have a league win at Firhill. If we can keep this form going into January and he gets some good players in, then you just never know we might catch that promotion bus afterall. 

13UH1lKULAUBMI.gif

Edited by Acastus

1 hour ago, ClydebankJag said:

Do you shut your eyes when Miles Storey is on the pitch? That waster showed again today that he knows little other than getting his head down and running as fast as he can towards the opposition byeline?

I'm fully aware of the limitations of Miles Storey.

36 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Thought we deserved to win based on the second half, Ridgers had 3 excellent saves and while chances from set pieces are still chances (and a goal apiece came from them)  I didn't think Inverness created anything from open play second half. Neither Fox nor Sneddon inspire confidence from those, Fox was 2 yards behind the goal line trying to save the goal.

A fair point about our lack of threat from open play. Keatings did score a good goal but he was poor overall although his set pieces looked useful. Couple of good headed chances for us from some corners but we need players like Doran to really step up and create something and he didn't.

We need Walsh back pronto.

6 hours ago, Sir Tarmo Kink said:

Thought we were unlucky to lose 3-1. We were terrible but created quite a few chances and dominated possession. First half we edged it and I thought Thistle were the worst team I’ve seen all season.

:lol::lol::lol:

I think that's the first game that I remember in a long, long time that I didn't feel like we completely shat it after going ahead. It was hardly cigars oot when we went 2-1 up, but we seemed to cope with what was thrown at us fairly well. A lot of very encouraging stuff for us to ultimately forget next week if we lose. 

And top marks to McCall for throwing on an overweight Harkins as a striker, letting him get ironic cheers as he "chased" down balls, then watching him do what he really is good at with some wonderful passing. Two assists, and could have had a third with the best of the lot. If we can build a system where he doesn't have to move, he can play every minute for all I care. 

Agree with Mantis that 2-2 would have been a fair result based on pressure and possession. Plastic Whistle set out their store to park the bus, defend deep and in numbers. BUT we just did not have the guile or the finishing touch to punish them. We tried to play like Barcelona but ended up looking like a Sunday League team. That is not the tactics on a frckin freezing, gale force windy, pisssing rain, waterlogged playing surface day. And we NEVER used width or attacked the bye line. The only times that we looked like scoring was from dead balls hoofed into the goalmouth. And Ridgers made 4-5 excellent saves whereas Fox was rarely tested. At Alloa I discarded the Smileys as it was a 3-4 all round performance. I will refrain until the morning !! But put it like this my train has been delayed due to damage to overhead lined. I can be wholly assured that such damage could not have been inflicted by Jordan White but the replacement was as late as Robbo's substitutions.  To me it is when other teams try to play football that we play football against them - and our defence and midfield relish. When we face teams that are defensive and encouraging US to take the initiative - we simply do not have the ammunition to blow the bestards away. Lets face it - Plastic Whistle were there for the taking. We simply have NOTHING up front. It has to be time to ditch White, Storey and Doran ?

Oh and introduce Todorov, McGregor and Walsh (when fit)