Falkirk vs Raith Rovers

Special mention to the ref to flashy with the cards at times yet didnt punish other blatant fouls the classic one being the falkirk player not only placing his 2 hands on the ref but also pushes him over yet escapes any type of card

I was sat right in line with this he didn’t push him over he ran into him.

In all seriousness, was a weird game. I would have been happy with a point before the game. At half time I thought we were in total control, but fair play to Falkirk who started the second half really well and got a deserved goal. 

When it went to 1-1 and 10 vs 10, Falkirk have to go on and win that, in my opinion. We were already down to the bare bones, and that should have been a step to far for us. That back line gave me the absolute fear, and should have been there for the taking.

However, we actually defended comfortably from then on in and finished the game strongly, albeit with the man advantage again. 

We saw last week that having a man advantage isn't a gimme. The momentum of the game completely changed in the second half, and I thought we were absolutely fucked when Bene went off. To end up seeing the rest of the game out in a comfortable enough fashion, regardless of the circumstances, means it has to be seen as a good point. 

Falkirk looked good in spells and deserved their draw, but if we have anything near a full strength side in the second half of the season I'd be pretty dissapointed to finish below them. 

3 hours ago, Disco Duck said:

Very entertaining afternoon, unexpectedly!  Couldn’t see the Telfer red - was very surprised to see a red card come out, but can’t comment on something I didn’t see.  Ref was an officious p***k generally.

Raith were generally fucking honking.  Awful all over the park but nobody more than that keeper.  We really should have tested him more, he was hopeless.  And presumably your number 22 was u-boat captain in a past life for all the diving he was doing (which the ref got wise to).

11 v 11, or even 10 v 10, we would have won that comfortably, particularly with Gomis on the park.  I’ll take a draw and an enjoyable afternoon though.

At 10 v 10 there was no way Falkirk were winning that match tbh. Gave us a bit of a siege mentality and we defended very well. 

2 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

At 10 v 10 there was no way Falkirk were winning that match tbh. Gave us a bit of a siege mentality and we defended very well. 

We hit the bar and McManus cleared a Buchanan header off your line. Falkirk were all over Raith until Gomis got sent off.

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

This thread is fucking dire from both sides. I think both teams are quite entitled to be pleased with a point.

We were away to, on paper, the best team in the league with 5 first choice players missing and one player playing his first game in 8 weeks having only returned to full training on Thursday night. We played the last 25 minutes with a back 4 consisting of our third choice right back, our fourth choice centre back, our first choice left back at centre back and our left winger at left back.

Falkirk obviously played most of the game a man down and finished with 9 but at no point did we play them off the park. They hung in the game and were better in spells, the only time we really got on top was between our goal and half time. Pretty sure they would have won if it stayed 11v11 which was the pre match expectation.

Telfer’s red card looked harsh, was expecting the ref to produce a yellow but there was no intention to play the ball, he just kicked Hendry. The other 2 reds were definite. Can’t remember Bene’s first yellow but the second was stupidity, both Gomis yellows were obvious.

Wish we took the game a bit more by the scruff of the neck second half. It looked like we tried to play side to side looking for spaces but going nowhere against the 10 men and trying to tire them out to take advantage later in the game. A reasonable idea in theory but totally backfired when we went down to 10 men ourselves. Falkirk were well organised though and made it difficult, McManus was fantastic at holding the ball up and with his work rate defending from the front.

Sounds weird when we are the top scorers in the league but I think we are missing a bit of quality in the final third just now. Hendry will help, as will Miller returning. Lost count of the amount of times we got the ball wide to Watson in space in an attacking area and he just took a touch turned inside and passed it backwards. I like Bowie too but he just doesn’t hold the ball up well enough as a lone striker to bring our attacking players into the game. I think the Falkirk fans calling him a diver are wrong, he’s just turned 17 last month, despite how he looks, I think he’s still quite weak and needs to develop physically and learn how to hold the ball.

Both sides entitled to be happy with a point. Bit frustrated not to win having played against 10 for so long but I thought we’d lose when it went 10v10 and to be honest, we didn’t deserve any more than a point. I don’t think either side will be fearful of the other going into the second half of the season. Still expect Falkirk to win it but more confident we will at least make a contest of it.

Finally a special mention to the Rovers fan shouting ‘Just f**k off now McGlynn before you cost us the league’ as he applauded the fans at the end of the game. Fanny.

Agree with this. I actually thought telfers was a red, he didnt complain and the raith players were going mental, usual signs that it was the correct decision.

2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

We hit the bar and McManus cleared a Buchanan header off your line. Falkirk were all over Raith until Gomis got sent off.

Hitting the bar doesn't count - not even half a goal; we've been hitting the woodwork regularly recently. As for McManus blocking Buchanan's effort it will make up for his goal which was the result of a double mistake by us.

I get the impression taht teams are intimidated by Falkirk's "big fish in a wee pond" reputation rather than what they are on the pitch.

I’d say up to now that assessment is spot on.
Hoping that the new management team get performances like the second half today out of them, with 11 men though, and we will start to overhaul those above...

Just now, Raith_Raver said:

Hitting the bar doesn't count - not even half a goal; we've been hitting the woodwork regularly recently. As for McManus blocking Buchanan's effort it will make up for his goal which was the result of a double mistake by us.

I'm not saying it should be half a goal, I was responding to a fantasist saying there was "no way Falkirk were winning that match". We had the chances to do so.

It was hardly wave after wave of pressure. Falkirk were the home side with momentum and were always going to get a wee chance, I just didn't see us losing that game even at 10 v10. Thought we would when Bene went off, but Falkirk didn't do nearly enough to capitalise on that. 

Edited by CALDERON

5 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

Ooft, that’s a head’s gone 

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

I'm not saying it should be half a goal, I was responding to a fantasist saying there was "no way Falkirk were winning that match". We had the chances to do so.

You only scored one somewhat fortuitous goal against a defence that would struggle in Division Two. I'm not happy with our contribution either, I think we bottle too many games when we should be going for it. I would have expect more from Falkirk on their own patch given the state we were in before the game.

4 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

It was hardly wave after wave of pressure. Falkirk were the home side with momentum and were always going to get a wee chance, I just didn't see us losing that game even at 10 v10. Thought we would when Bene went off, but Falkirk didn't do nearly enough to capitalise on that. 

I don't agree with you but this is a bit more reasoned than your previous post.

1 minute ago, Raith_Raver said:

You only scored one somewhat fortuitous goal against a defence that would struggle in Division Two. I'm not happy with our contribution either, I think we bottle too many games when we should be going for it. I would have expect more from Falkirk on their own patch given the state we were in before the game.

This is completely unrelated to the post I was replying to.

23 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

Did you not notice Falkirk had a man sent off after 13 minutes??

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Did you not notice Falkirk had a man sent off after 13 minutes??

I think he also failed to note they played 65 minutes of football with a man more than us and still only managed 3 shots on target but that was us apparently dominated by Raith (lay off the glue)

Bene and Gomis second yellows both a pisstake btw, any other ref in scotland waves play on

No chance, both are nailed on. And in the circumstances, both should really be putting more faith in their colleagues.

I don't think either scenario was worth sacrificing a man for. I imagine both sets of management would've rather accepted the risk from the developing chance over losing Benedictus/Gomis for the remainder of the game.

Out of interest, who took the armband from Benedictus? That remaining Rovers squad doesn't exactly have an abundance of obvious candidates.