First Pints

First pint will have been Tennents in one of Leven's lovely establishments (likely McPhails) when I was 16 which is around '09. My main memory of drinking when I was younger was that me and all my pals were obsessed with drinking Miller, always taking boxes of the stuff to any house party. Has anyone tasted Miller recently? It's absolutely disgusting, it barely even tastes like beer, I genuinely want to throw up after one sip. No idea what we were thinking, maybe just the drunken memories that's put me off it. 

First pint will have been Tennents in one of Leven's lovely establishments (likely McPhails) when I was 16 which is around '09. My main memory of drinking when I was younger was that me and all my pals were obsessed with drinking Miller, always taking boxes of the stuff to any house party. Has anyone tasted Miller recently? It's absolutely disgusting, it barely even tastes like beer, I genuinely want to throw up after one sip. No idea what we were thinking, maybe just the drunken memories that's put me off it. 

Miller seemed to be one of the first beers everyone tried. It is absolutely disgusting.

9 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

Some hotel in Blackpool when i was 14 or 15, old barman had no idea our age so we said 18 and he served us.  I'd already been drinking a bit so alcohol wasn't new just the in a bar bit.

I can remember going down to Blackpool to play in a tournament. After getting scudded from numerous sides from the Midlands and London, we went back to the hotel and got pissed. I was served a "Aston Villa" which was half a glass of port, and half glass of blue wkd. Spewed up very quickly after this. 

10 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

My main memory of drinking when I was younger was that me and all my pals were obsessed with drinking Miller, always taking boxes of the stuff to any house party. Has anyone tasted Miller recently? It's absolutely disgusting, it barely even tastes like beer, I genuinely want to throw up after one sip. No idea what we were thinking, maybe just the drunken memories that's put me off it. 

I haven't seen Miller in years, wasn't aware it was still going. Sure they were one of the first to use the twist cap bottle caps which seemed quite cool at the time. You're right though, it was definitely the beer of choice, any party, always stacks of the stuff. 

2 hours ago, Ylf said:

what’s everyone paying for a pint now? birkie £3.45. charlie bar £3.10 T

6 quid for a pint of Feldschlossen(Swiss equivalent to T I suppose) or 7 quid for a pint of Stella. Pub not far from me that sells a lot of stuff in cans and bottles a fair bit cheaper than the pints. Choice of around 200 most nights. Boy that runs the pub owns a "Beers of the World" type shop so stocks a lot of stuff for that and just nips into the store room for pretty much anything you ask for. Occasionally has a stock of T in, but didn't have any the last time I visited.

8 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

8 hours ago, mizfit said:

Miller seemed to be one of the first beers everyone tried. It is absolutely disgusting.

Miller used to be on draft everywhere when I was 18

Think I'd have been around 16 and we managed to get someone to buy us pints of Tennents in the old Hamilton Rugby Club social club. Problem was we thought it would be a good idea to mix it with a few joints. Somebody whiteyed into a bin. Happy memories.

It would have been around 2001 when I had my first pint in a pub. It would have been a run of the mill Tennants or maybe a Stella. It was around the £1.75 mark.

When drinking in the pub regularly, I recall the pints going directly from £1.95 to £2.05. Outrage across the old regulars at the time.

My local still does a pint of Tennants for £3. I tend to drink Guinness these days, but fairly reasonable price for a pint the thick end of 20 years after I got my first one at £1.75!

A few in the Ewe & Lamb and Biancos when I was 15. So 1987 it would be.  

Started working in Gloags at 16. Used to head across to the Ace Of Clubs (as it was then) at lunchtime. Pie, chips and beans and a pint for under £5. Probably nearer £3.

Also had the occasional pint in The Lamplight with the girlfriends dad too. 

Ahhh, simpler times.  

19 hours ago, Ylf said:

what’s everyone paying for a pint now? birkie £3.45. charlie bar £3.10 T

It's around 1.10 a pint for me in a bar, or about 50p  in a  'local bar.'   Not surprisingly, a high percentage of ex-pats here have a drink problem.  

Pint of Skol, circa 1986. Was 15 at the time & in the Marine Hotel in Montrose, was in 4th year and we just removed our school ties. Ironically the owner was my primary school headmaster & never batted an eyelid. Can’t remember the cost but remember my first legal pint was mcewans 70’ and was 86p.