First Pints

8 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Out the bottom George St gate, turn right. Think it was Lady Lane? Might be wrong...

That's The Cellar Bar. It's also been known as Whiskey (sic) Joe's and Scruffy Murphy's but I never remember it being called Pat's Bar.

Edited by Arch Stanton

I started out on Tennents Velvet after getting a taste for it at a house party when I was 16. Started drinking legally in the Yellow Card Pubs (The Ark, Curlers, Exchequer and I think there was one more in Glasgow) and it was £1.50 a TL or a velvet if you had one of their cards, circa 2000.

Strathclyde Union also had 50p pints on a Friday but f**k me they were rotten.

4 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Serves it right closing after changing its name to Scruffy fucking Murphy's.

First pint was probably heavy as a 14 year old at a wedding reception some place on Broughty Ferry Road then later that night at the Happyhillock Tavern which was never a happy place. Regular drinking started later that year at 15, mainly in Mitchell's (aka Thistle Bar) on, I think, Lilybank Road.  It was the only place open on that side of the road as all the old tenements were due for demolition. Think it was 2/- a pint. Didn't drink lager much but when I did it was usually as lager & lime, common back then. There were loads of pubs in Dundee where you had no bother getting served as an under age drinker and having more hair on my head and long sideburns I never had any problems. Even had a policeman say sorry when he bumped into me when they were doing a drugs and under aged drinking raid. 

38 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Well, indeed. All I said was that I couldn't remember it being called Pat's Bar.

I started in boozers about 2000 I was 17.
Pints of T and Jack Daniels I drank.
Lager was £1.80 odd.

When I was having an underage outside/house party booze I used to drink a bottled beer called "Rolling Rock". Dunno where it went.

Also used to go to "faces" in Motherwell when I was about 16. Nightclub that only folk under 18 went to. Used to drink prints of diesel.

I might start drinking that again!

Edited by Busta Nut

6 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

When I was having an underage outside/house party booze I used to drink a bottled beer called "Rolling Rock". Dunno where it went.

I remember Rolling Rock - green bottle, royal blue font on the label.

Appeared , and then disappeared, at roughly the same time as Sapporo, iirc.

Sapporo came in stupid cans that you could take the entire lids off of, and drink out of like it was a glass. So should've just been served in a tumbler.

10 hours ago, Eednud said:

First pint was probably heavy as a 14 year old at a wedding reception some place on Broughty Ferry Road then later that night at the Happyhillock Tavern which was never a happy place. Regular drinking started later that year at 15, mainly in Mitchell's (aka Thistle Bar) on, I think, Lilybank Road.  It was the only place open on that side of the road as all the old tenements were due for demolition. Think it was 2/- a pint. Didn't drink lager much but when I did it was usually as lager & lime, common back then. There were loads of pubs in Dundee where you had no bother getting served as an under age drinker and having more hair on my head and long sideburns I never had any problems. Even had a policeman say sorry when he bumped into me when they were doing a drugs and under aged drinking raid. 

Yes, indeed. Very much a thing, that's what I started off on, now that you've mentioned it. Moved on to "straight" lager, then heavy, in quick order.

Vodka and lime used to be popular, too.

Edited by Jacksgranda

Sapporo came in stupid cans that you could take the entire lids off of, and drink out of like it was a glass. So should've just been served in a tumbler.

get big cans of sapporo in tesco. got some the other week. really good imo

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

You can still get rolling rock, seen it last week. My local when i was around 18-21 used to sell bottles for under a pound, needless to say I had fucking gallons of the stuff.

First ever pint was in Frames pool hall in Stirling when I was about 15/16ish. Was Oranjeboom - my older brother took me out and I was absolutely battered on about 3/4 pints.

First legal pint was on my 18th birthday in O'Neils in Stirling. Most underage drinking was done in Enigma nightclub/previously the rocks. At uni in Edinburgh we would normally drink in Uluru on Lothian Road where pints of swill like Carling and Fosters were weird prices like £1.61. Normally followed by trips to Cav, Gaia, Establishment or Subway.