First Pints

Sinky's in Dunfermline. Aged 15. No idea what it was or how much it cost. Great night though. It was a bit like the school common room. 

Remember starting a wonderful night out “up the toon” whilst still underage in sinky’s. Must have been 16/17...probably 25 years or so after you were that age though, old boy [emoji12]

I started going out and about in pubs in 2004 when I was 18 and remember drinking in a few old man pubs in Glasgow for £1.30 a pint so could easily get fairly drunk off a tenner. I remember being annoyed at having to pay £2.50 a pint when I strayed into the west end once as well. Halcyon days I tell you.

4 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Remember starting a wonderful night out “up the toon” whilst still underage in sinky’s. Must have been 16/17...probably 25 years or so after you were that age though, old boy emoji12.png

By 16/17 we stopped going there as it was full of folk from about 2 years below us at school. 

3 hours ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

In the late nineties folk at my school used to regularly hang out in what was then Bar Zoo at the bottom of Byres Road (it's now Gallus). 

Looking back on it, the average age in the back room on a Friday night must have been about 16 and a half. No idea how it was never shut down. 

Was the first place we started going to when we branched out from Clydebank, mostly because half the crowd were still underage and it had a reputation for being a little easier than most to get served in. Would have been around 2000 or so we were in there most Saturday nights.

By 16/17 we stopped going there as it was full of folk from about 2 years below us at school. 

I think I’ve only ever been in once. We were the only folk in the place, on a Saturday night...it’s a wonder it shut (I believe)

Someone mentioned being knocked back at the age of 19 earlier - the only time I've ever been KB'd for booze was when I was 22/23, just before midnight on New Year's Eve in a convenience store in Phoenix. They didn't give a shit about me, but checked the wife's ID, and her friend didn't have any with her.

Still raging about that. The daft cow could've waited for us at the car and we'd have been fine  :angry:

On 07/12/2019 at 22:13, FalkirkBairn93 said:

2009 at the age of 16 in edge, shut down and converted into a coffee shop. Situated right next to falkirk grahamston. Also the day I felt gallous and bought my first box of fags (only regret from that day)

First place that sold me was The Edge too. Can't remember how much it was but was in 2007.

Used to drink regularly in The Crags in Newington when I was 18. You could get a pint of Tennents for £1.90, a beer and a burger for £3.75, two meals for £8, and a four pint pitcher of Tennents for something like £7. Spent a few days in there where it would be three football games on, 8 pints and two meals for just over £20. Halcyon days. That was in 2009.

Pretty sure my first pint in a pub would have been McEwans 80/-, which I still have a soft spot for even though it's been through numerous ownership changes since, isn't even brewed in Scotland anymore, and is probably totally different now.

Because I was a well-behaved/boring youngster it would have been when I went to university in 1998. £1.95 a pint I think. When I manage to find a pint for sub £2 these days (even if just with the aid of a CAMRA discount voucher) it brings a warm glow of nostalgia.

4 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

First place that sold me was The Edge too. Can't remember how much it was but was in 2007.

Used to drink regularly in The Crags in Newington when I was 18. You could get a pint of Tennents for £1.90, a beer and a burger for £3.75, two meals for £8, and a four pint pitcher of Tennents for something like £7. Spent a few days in there where it would be three football games on, 8 pints and two meals for just over £20. Halcyon days. That was in 2009.

The Crags went a bit poncy a few years ago and is now The Salisbury Arms. I'm not sure where the Pollock crowd would go to drink now although there are metal student types in the Auld Hoose 

16 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Yes, indeed. Very much a thing, that's what I started off on, now that you've mentioned it. Moved on to "straight" lager, then heavy, in quick order.

Vodka and lime used to be popular, too.

Some even had lager & blackcurrant which think was mentioned in an earlier post and also raspberry. Blackcurrant always reminds me of rum (OVD) and black and the thought of that makes me boak as got extremely pished on it and never again. Don't know if it was a Dundee thing but rum and pep used to be popular and the pep wasn't pepsi but peppermint.

5 hours ago, Eednud said:

Some even had lager & blackcurrant which think was mentioned in an earlier post and also raspberry. Blackcurrant always reminds me of rum (OVD) and black and the thought of that makes me boak as got extremely pished on it and never again. Don't know if it was a Dundee thing but rum and pep used to be popular and the pep wasn't pepsi but peppermint.

Ah, the memories! (Or not, as a lot of it would be blank. I tried most of those combinations. Serious hangovers ensued.)

When I first started boozing I’d only drink cider as I couldn’t stomach beer. I took a bit of a slagging off my mate who maintained cider was a wee guys drink, so I forced down a pint of T one day and I’ve never looked back. That was in 2013/2014 and I can remember my local used to sell pints of Carlsberg for £2 which was by far and away the cheapest pint, I reckon a T would’ve been just under £3. 

I don’t mind paying a bit extra for a decent pint.

First Pub was the Moncrieffe Arms.
About £2.50 a pint from memory.

I was 17.

The place was empty bar us, they pretty much admitted they knew we were underage but were happy with the business.