First Pints

10 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Pats Bar, Paisley. 1990. Attending Paisley College (now UWS). At lunchtime a pint of T was 90p or a pint of T and a pie beans n chips was £1.20. Lost count of the number of times I had two of them for lunch. Probably goes a long way to explaining my evolving big-bonedness and my flunking the afternoon Town Planning classes.

UnacceptableOccasionalDeermouse-max-1mb.

I clearly went to the wrong college.

I can remember  wetherspoons doing a pint of the week for 99p around 2007. For that reason my first pint was a pint of Guiness and I managed to get through about half of it before going back up for a pint of Irn Bru. 

My first shot was called "Alien Brain", bit of sambuca with baileys on top. Seemed to curdle as it went down. 

Back in the Dundee nightclub wars of 2004/05 ish you could get bottles of beer for 99p and nip and dash for 50p in Mardi and Circus/London

I think in Bar None you could get 10p nips before 10pm.

As you can imagine the whole experience was a fucking grim Ben Sherman shirt, spewing in the street, punch ups breaking out everywhere nightmare.

You dont see punch ups much in pubs these days.

10 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Back in the Dundee nightclub wars of 2004/05 ish you could get bottles of beer for 99p and nip and dash for 50p in Mardi and Circus/London

I think in Bar None you could get 10p nips before 10pm.

As you can imagine the whole experience was a fucking grim Ben Sherman shirt, spewing in the street, punch ups breaking out everywhere nightmare.

You dont see punch ups much in pubs these days.

Yeah, it was the same in Aberdeen. I mentioned Berlins earlier, 30p a nip, 50p a pint and 90p a bottle of Becks in the late 90's early 2000's. 

Amadeus down at the beach gave out a free bottle of Diamond White every time you signed up as a member, needless to say, I had heaps of membership cards sent to my door.

It all resulted in the same chaos you mention.

16 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
37 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:
My memory isn't as good as it used to be.
Who are you?

He's the guy that was standing next to you in the flute band back in July

You must be the guy that tried to block our traditional route. Have your bones healed yet?

Paris Match, Killie. The first "legal" pint I ever bought was in there and when I turned 18 a pint of Foster's (no T until a few years down the line but a decent tap selection back then made up for that) would have cost around £2.20/£2.30. I was aghast when a pint started to cost £3, now I'm more than happy that my bowling club serves T at £2.80, keeping it well under the £3 threshold. 

On 08/12/2019 at 10:52, Sergeant Wilson said:

The Griffin at Charing Cross and Station Bar in Cowcaddens had similar deals. You could even get a turkey burger and chips in The Griffin for about £2.00.

2/6d for a pint of piss.., Watneys Starlight, in Minehead, Somerset in 1970.   ( Working at Butlins ).

Shortly after, as a student in Glasgow, did most drinking at the Amphora in Sauchiehall St.    Griffin just round the  corner, IIRC. 

Edited by beefybake

23 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Tartan Special, Thunderton, circa 88. 
Got punched outside as well. 

I knew that today's clouds would have a silver lining...

The Swiss Bar in Motherwell in 1977.  Underneath the old Garrion Hotel.  Three pints of McEwan's Export and 20 Embassy No 3 and still have change from a quid.

9 minutes ago, Aidan said:

First time I can ever remember drinking pints was Tetley's Bitter in a Premier Inn down in London when I was 15. No idea why I was drinking that of all things though.

Aye.  A 15 yo having no taste in beer is one of these mysteries we'll never solve.