First Pints

Tartan special or Belhaven 80/- would have been my first pint (around 20p) if I remember right.

I quickly moved onto half of beer and a bottle of stout.  I think we called them half-and-halfs, but maybe I'm miss-remembering. 

2 minutes ago, expatowner said:

Tartan special or Belhaven 80/- would have been my first pint (around 20p) if I remember right.

I quickly moved onto half of beer and a bottle of stout.  I think we called them half-and-halfs, but maybe I'm miss-remembering. 

Black and Tan?

Happy days - started in the early 70's when it was between 15p and 25p a pint as far as I can recall. Tartan Special, Guardsman?, Breaker lager, Skol, Black and Tans, Kestral, McEwans lager, bottles of Whitbread and bottles of Newcastle brown,  Pink Panthers ( Bottle of cider, bottle of Carlsberg Special and blackburrent juice in a pint tumbler - what a colourful chunder that gave you)  mad keen to experiment then and some monstous hangovers as well. Well into my 20's before settling down with decent brandy and a bootle of lager.

13 minutes ago, Moonglum25 said:

Happy days - started in the early 70's when it was between 15p and 25p a pint as far as I can recall. Tartan Special, Guardsman?, Breaker lager, Skol, Black and Tans, Kestral, McEwans lager, bottles of Whitbread and bottles of Newcastle brown,  Pink Panthers ( Bottle of cider, bottle of Carlsberg Special and blackburrent juice in a pint tumbler - what a colourful chunder that gave you)  mad keen to experiment then and some monstous hangovers as well. Well into my 20's before settling down with decent brandy and a bootle of lager.

Is that a scouse measure?

First legal pint I can mind buying was Carling (pub didn’t have T) and £2.45 a go. Can mind drinking in the streets when a “tottle of bonic” (used to care what number - 1 was the holy grail - as well) was a straight fiver and a half bottle of glens wasn’t much more.
I liked a 13-15

First pint in a pub was in 1982, sneaked out of the Riverside Church youth club in Dumbarton, along to the Lennox Bar in the High St for 1 pint, before sneaking back in.  It's still there (the bar, not the pint).

The Cladhan Hotel in Dumbarton (now the Abbotsford since being de-twinned with The Cladhan in Falkirk) became my 'local', and pints were about 52p, served in those proper dimpled pint glasses, with the handle on the side.

1999 I was served my first pint. Went for Tennents as it was the first thing I seen when the barmaid asked. Was around £1.70 a pint in The Douglas. Later graduated to Whisky Joes where they charged about 20p more. The Douglas is still reassuringly cheap compared to most other pubs in Clydebank, despite its modern day fame.

Pints of Diesel - half cider, half lager and a dash of blackcurrant. Absolute rocket fuel.

Some pubs refused to serve it - pretty sure it was/is illegal - and gave the half pint of lager and half pint of cider in separate glasses along with an empty pint tumbler for you to pour yourself. 

Definitely not a drink for a quiet night. 

Edited by Dee Man

28 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

First pint in a pub was in 1982, sneaked out of the Riverside Church youth club in Dumbarton, along to the Lennox Bar in the High St for 1 pint, before sneaking back in.  It's still there (the bar, not the pint).

The Cladhan Hotel in Dumbarton (now the Abbotsford since being de-twinned with The Cladhan in Falkirk) became my 'local', and pints were about 52p, served in those proper dimpled pint glasses, with the handle on the side.

So much handier than the ones with the handle on the top.

6 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I fucked that up a wee bit - I meant half blackcurrant, half blackcurrant and a dash of blackcurrant.

5 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Racist

It would probably have you racing to the toilet...

Pats Bar, Paisley. 1990. Attending Paisley College (now UWS). At lunchtime a pint of T was 90p or a pint of T and a pie beans n chips was £1.20. Lost count of the number of times I had two of them for lunch. Probably goes a long way to explaining my evolving big-bonedness and my flunking the afternoon Town Planning classes.

2 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

30p for a pie beans n chips. Just stop for a second and think on that. Happy days.

The Griffin at Charing Cross and Station Bar in Cowcaddens had similar deals. You could even get a turkey burger and chips in The Griffin for about £2.00.