First Pints

Vaux Bitter, 28p circa 1977. I used to enjoy how my face started to feel numb after about 3 pints, increasing to total paralysis at around 6. Fast forward 4 or 5 years and 6 pints was a typical Sunday lunchtime.

1994, I think - I'd have been 16 then. Heavy, and can't remember what it cost, although Sarge's chart looks pretty accurate. Have now become full blown IPA w****r, to my shame, although in my defence, the closest place to get Vitamin T is Des Moines, Iowa and I'm not going to fucking Iowa. There is a Scottish pub here, but it's all Belhaven. 

Edited by carpetmonster

Younger’s No3 in the Station bar in Thurso, Tartan Special or Guinness elsewhere in Thurso, bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale in Aberdeen University Union.
Ranging from 50p to 65p per pint if memory serves

Can vividly remember ordering my first pint - I was at a gig in the old Glasgow College of Technology in 1980, and I was 15. The gig was in mid-June, and the place was a total sweatbox.

What I REALLY wanted was a Coke, but I was para that if I ordered a soft drink it would be painfully obvious that I was an underager. Problem was I had no idea what to ask for...problem solved when the guy in front of me in the queue asked for a pint of heavy, so I just parroted what he said in a voice probably an octave lower than sounded anywhere near natural.

Got away with it, so it was heavy for quite a while after that. Ironically, the only time I ever got carded for age in a pub was when I was 18 and was in Lauders across from the Apollo before a gig...got asked what age I was, replied with the truth and got told to beat it because it was a 21 shop...

Heineken was the first beer I tried, for reasons that escape me now, and for a price I don't remember.

Didn't try another for years. That stuff is rank. Even now, Tennents is the only lager I can stomach.

Ironically, the only time I ever got carded for age in a pub was when I was 18

I started drinking in pubs when I was 14, got questioned occasionally but was only refused once. From an off-license when I was 19.

I remember being fizzing about it because I was trying to get a carry-out to take to a house party. The party was at the top of a big, f**k off hill and the offie was nice and convenient for it. I ended up having to walk all the way back down the hill to a different shop THEN back up for a second time.

Grumble grumble.

The old man was a real ale drinker so used to nick the odd bottle of Greenmantle Ale off him- Greenmantle might be the first pint I bought as well. I used to drink Guinness (or Beamish or Murphy's or Gillespies Scottish Stout!), Younger's No 3, the odd pint of Drybrough's and other stuff/muck I have forgotten about. 

No 3 was a nice pint when I was a student- you got a good pint in the Machar Bar or the Prince of Wales. 

First bought pint was in 1984. The whole thing completely memorable. Boys Brigade Camp in Cockermouth. Went into a local pub, me and my mate at a very obvious 14 years old. Asked for two pints. The lady at the bar inevitably asked, of what? Just pointed to the first tap. Thought at the time we must have looked the part but reflecting back to the fact she served us by saying, ‘there you go, now go over there (the snug) and sit down’ kind of suggested she was well aware she was serving a couple of kids. We of course obliged and sat exactly where we were told.

Not sure it was my first pub-bought pint, but I've got abiding memories of the Blob Shop on Sauchiehall St circa 96/97 selling £1 pints to eager fresh-faced students like me. Don't even remember what type of lager it was, either cos I was pished or cos it was nearly a quarter of a century ago.

p.s. what kind of fucking pub calls itself the Blob Shop?

5 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

First bought pint was in 1984. The whole thing completely memorable. Boys Brigade Camp in Cockermouth. Went into a local pub, me and my mate at a very obvious 14 years old. Asked for two pints. The lady at the bar inevitably asked, of what? Just pointed to the first tap. Thought at the time we must have looked the part but reflecting back to the fact she served us by saying, ‘there you go, now go over there (the snug) and sit down’ kind of suggested she was well aware she was serving a couple of kids. We of course obliged and sat exactly where we were told.

Almost missed this. If that's not worth a Kenneth Williams, I don't know what is. 

5 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Not sure it was my first pub-bought pint, but I've got abiding memories of the Blob Shop on Sauchiehall St circa 96/97 selling £1 pints to eager fresh-faced students like me. Don't even remember what type of lager it was, either cos I was pished or cos it was nearly a quarter of a century ago.

p.s. what kind of fucking pub calls itself the Blob Shop?

You had to get Blob chaser too. It was like a shot of Benylin, IIRC.

Anyhoo, £1.25 rings a bell. Back then you didn't ask for a brand, just a "lager" or a "heavy". People with 5 figure salaries might ask for a Coors Gold but me and my pals were below that.

First legal pint I can mind buying was Carling (pub didn’t have T) and £2.45 a go. Can mind drinking in the streets when a “tottle of bonic” (used to care what number - 1 was the holy grail - as well) was a straight fiver and a half bottle of glens wasn’t much more.