First Pints

Chatting to pals today and although we are "only" mid 30s when we first started seriously going to pubs every weekend around 2001/02 everyone drank heavy or in fancy pubs Caffreys.

Seems like a hundred years ago now everyone is on 5 quid IPAs that young lads would be on the 80.

What were you drinking when you first went out and when was it?

ETA what did it cost? 2 quid a pint in my day

Edited by invergowrie arab

Started going to pubs in 1977/78. Can’t remember the price, but we were just having bog standard draught lager. McEwans or Tennents... in the Cochrane House Hotel, Spateston. The height of sophistication back then was a pernod & blackcurrant, especially as the 1980s arrived and we started wearing white jackets with the sleeves pushed up, and went to Coanes Wine Bar on Johnstone High Street. Happy days.

Edited by pozbaird

44 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Chatting to pals today and although we are "only" mid 30s when we first started seriously going to pubs every weekend around 2001/02 everyone drank heavy or in fancy pubs Caffreys.

Seems like a hundred years ago now everyone is on 5 quid IPAs that young lads would be on the 80.

What were you drinking when you first went out and when was it?

ETA what did it cost? 2 quid a pint in my day

2/6d a pint. Lager (Switched to heavy pdg). 1970

Edited by Jacksgranda

4 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Pints of lager/tins of red stripe depending on where I was.

Moved onto Special, velvet, caffreys, Guinness, etc for a while.

Velvet seems to have disappeared now. Can mind in years gone by my drinking buddy, who drank nothing but lager, hated asking for it when it was his round, reasoning it sounded like something gays would drink.

Christmas Eve, 1981, Burns Tavern , sunny St Ranraer, McEwans  pale ale ( the green one , not the red one ) 63 p a pint as memory serves , 4 of us in a kitty so we could buy rounds and not look like the 15 & 16 year olds we were 

strangely I was only ever once asked my age , on my 18th .. , suspect it was a put up job 

My first landlord, Mr Bobby Smith (Hibs, Leicester, Dunfermline), of the eponymous Smith's Bar in Dalkeith. What I'd give to relive a typical Friday or Saturday night in there in 1996. The absolute best of times.

Usual drink back then was Cider. Or Carlsberg. About £1.70 a pint I'd say. A decent night out for a tenner.

Bobby was a great host. Sadly missed. _47363221_bobbysmithibs_sns282.jpeg