The Captaincy

greenockraver

One of the most concerning aspects in the most recent campaign for me was the role of captain.

It seemed that robbo was a stick on to have the arm band due to his success but it seemed to be a huge burden for him against russia. 

Will clarke stick with robertson as captain or will he perhaps pass the band to naismith or someone else (brown) for these massive games coming up ?

Robertson is the right choice for captain, is a fantastic example on and off the park. 

His performances since becoming captain have been disappointing but he will grow into the role. He is verging on world class for his club, have no doubt he will step up for Scotland in March. 

1 hour ago, gonzohiggy said:

Robertson is the right choice for captain, is a fantastic example on and off the park. 

His performances since becoming captain have been disappointing but he will grow into the role. He is verging on world class for his club, have no doubt he will step up for Scotland in March. 

looked like it was heavy on his shoulders against the russians

McGinn has played like a captain in the last few games, and I think his character is better for it than Robertson's.
I'd agree but I'd be wary of changing anything about McGinn's role in the team right now while he's on fire. I suspect he'd thrive on the responsibility, but then I thought the same of Robbo when he got the armband.

As I've always said when this subject comes up - why does there need to be an assigned captain?  When we have a match, give the captaincy to the guy that most fits the bill in the starting eleven.  And I'd think that even if we didn't regularly put 11 absolute shitebags out who couldn't run a bath.

On 09/12/2019 at 08:57, forameus said:

As I've always said when this subject comes up - why does there need to be an assigned captain?  When we have a match, give the captaincy to the guy that most fits the bill in the starting eleven.  And I'd think that even if we didn't regularly put 11 absolute shitebags out who couldn't run a bath.

It's an English thing

Drawn mainly from cricket

It really doesn't matter a f**k

10 hours ago, Binos said:

It's an English thing

Drawn mainly from cricket

It really doesn't matter a f**k

Yeah, Cricket actually has a point to a captain, as I believe they still largely pick the team?

I'm not against the idea of a captain, but nations that have this traditional captain usually do because they have about a million caps, and are a dependable, ever-present, sometimes world-class player.  If we had that, great, but we clearly don't.  Just give it to the most experienced person starting the game.  It should be up to every single person on that pitch to encourage and gee up the rest of the team, not just one person.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

I'm not against the idea of a captain, but nations that have this traditional captain usually do because they have about a million caps, and are a dependable, ever-present, sometimes world-class player.  If we had that, great, but we clearly don't.  

I'd say you're describing Andy Robertson there. He's got 34 caps which is quite good relative to the rest of the squad, he's usually dependable, shows up the majority of the time and is largely in arguments about who is the best left back in the world. 

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'd say you're describing Andy Robertson there. He's got 34 caps which is quite good relative to the rest of the squad, he's usually dependable, shows up the majority of the time and is largely in arguments about who is the best left back in the world. 

Yeah, I kind of chose the wrong criteria with that one!  But would he be better just concentrating on his own game, rather than this captaincy role we seem to be putting so much importance on?  

9 minutes ago, forameus said:

Yeah, I kind of chose the wrong criteria with that one!  But would he be better just concentrating on his own game, rather than this captaincy role we seem to be putting so much importance on?  

I think this "captaincy is affecting his performances" stuff is unfounded tbh.

10 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I think this "captaincy is affecting his performances" stuff is unfounded tbh.

Yeah, I wouldn't put that much stock in it.  I think the players around him are likely affecting his performance far more.

I've just always hated the clamour around assigning a captain, and never found it particularly necessary.  Seems like it'll continue to happen though.

7 hours ago, forameus said:

Yeah, Cricket actually has a point to a captain, as I believe they still largely pick the team?

I'm not against the idea of a captain, but nations that have this traditional captain usually do because they have about a million caps, and are a dependable, ever-present, sometimes world-class player.  If we had that, great, but we clearly don't.  Just give it to the most experienced person starting the game.  It should be up to every single person on that pitch to encourage and gee up the rest of the team, not just one person.

In cricket the captain will often have a role in selection, but more importantly they make the most important on-field decisions as well, such as which bowlers to use and when, how to arrange the fielders, decisions about whether to declare the innings when batting, whether to bat or bowl first if they win the toss, changes to the batting order, and if and when to call for video reviews of the umpires' decisions.  They have a much, much more hands-on role than football captains do, who basically are really just there to provide "leadership" in some vague way.