Junior grounds beside a railway?

39 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Railway companies in the 1800s had to buy more land than they actually needed to get their lines built and that meant they had parcels of cheap land available for sale when football clubs were being set up.  

...and that land tended to be fairly flat as the rail companies weren't particularly keen on sudden changes to gradient...

3 hours ago, glensmad said:

Brig O' Lea doesn't have the railway line beside it. Neilston is the end of the line, and the station is several streets away.

I think you will find that you are wrong.

There was an old Junior ground out the back of Moodiesburn which was right under the railway embankment. Think whoever the Juniors side were were long defunct even by the time I played boys club level there in the 90’s.

Glenboig was the boys club we played against there. Not sure if that was the name of the old Juniors side too? Anyone shed any light on it?

2 hours ago, nicotina said:

i'm surmising  inverurie locos are near a station ?

as well as lokomotiv moscow, leipzig,sofia to name but another 3

tunnel vision on my part as i've completely gone off  the rails

is TJ the fat controller ?

The Aberdeen-Inverness line runs just behind the far end of the ground at Inverurie. Not that many others, save Banks o' Dee, in the North, after Beeching cuts.

5 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

Going back in time in the Glasgow area a Junior club with no railway line either outside the ground or a couple of streets away would be possibly Duntocher Hibs or Renfrew. Maryhill Juniors had Maryhill Central almost on it's doorstep. Thought Perthshire might be in the running but there's a train station 5 minutes away up Ashfield St. Even Vale of Clyde had the old Parkhead line nearby in years passed.

The old Fulbar St Station (like many a victim of Dr Beeching!) was right next to Renfrew's old Western Park, with the line to Paisley running behind the grass bank "terrace".

The new ground is only a few hundred yards from the end of the Glasgow Airport runway,

so we have it on both counts!

23 minutes ago, Frew Fan 2001 said:

The old Fulbar St Station (like many a victim of Dr Beeching!) was right next to Renfrew's old Western Park, with the line to Paisley running behind the grass bank "terrace".

The new ground is only a few hundred yards from the end of the Glasgow Airport runway,

so we have it on both counts!

Thanks for that, wondered where Renfrew station was.

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

There was an old Junior ground out the back of Moodiesburn which was right under the railway embankment. Think whoever the Juniors side were were long defunct even by the time I played boys club level there in the 90’s.

Glenboig was the boys club we played against there. Not sure if that was the name of the old Juniors side too? Anyone shed any light on it?

Played on that ground at boys club level as well. Got a right hammering. Didn't even realise it was junior ground until a few years ago 

2 hours ago, Monalie said:

Neilston line used to go all the way to the Ayrshire coast until the cuts in the 60s.

I know there are remnants of railway lines between Neilston and Uplawmoor (near Shilford for example) but is the line you are referring to one that extended beyond the current station and went behind Brig o'Lea and onwards towards Uplawmoor?

5 hours ago, TFW said:

Haven't heard it for a while, but the train that used to pass Talbot's ground in the middle of the game always used to blow it's horn if a certain driver was on duty.

He is a Talbot fan and he knew his brother was at the game. 

Banks o Dee springs to mind in the North as mentioned earlier. Stonehaven is other one I can think of but its just a case of you can see the pitch from the high bridge on the way to Aberdeen, to land a ball on the tracks would be superhuman although once played with a defender who could attempt that.  There are not many in Tayside especially Dundee as the line runs along the banks of the Tay where there are no grounds however Jeanfields old pitch Simpson Park had trains running by and Luncarty would have at some point a line running by it but not in the last 30 years. Fife must have some but cant think of them at the moment?? Maybe the criteria for this should be if you can land a ball on the line then it counts!!!

I know there are remnants of railway lines between Neilston and Uplawmoor (near Shilford for example) but is the line you are referring to one that extended beyond the current station and went behind Brig o'Lea and onwards towards Uplawmoor?
Yes

10 hours ago, Tom Wilson said:

Six hours after the original post we have loads of posts replying so it would appear that lots of people beg to differ. Would you prefer grounds with a taxi rank outside? Now that WOULD be boring!

I take it you and the other posting are the same as me and spend train journeys straining your neck and eyes to spot football grounds and making plans to visit at some !ater point?

I've seen an old photo online of Petershill's old old ground in what looks like, I'm guessing here, Edgefauld Rd where the motorbike showroom was. Take it the Railway Works had some connection to Peasy. Vaguely remember a 1960/1970s film and Sean Connery cycling round the disused factory.
Atlas Park was our second ground and as you say was between Edgefauld Road and the railway line, next to the Atlas Locomotive Works. There was no connection other than the name, and we had to move from there as they expanded to build a munitions factory before WW1 broke out. In the attached pic Atlas Park is behind the fence on the left.6305595825_d762d17730_b%20(1).jpeg