Junior grounds beside a railway?

On 05/12/2019 at 14:36, Tutankhamen said:

Going back in time in the Glasgow area a Junior club with no railway line either outside the ground or a couple of streets away would be possibly Duntocher Hibs or Renfrew. Maryhill Juniors had Maryhill Central almost on it's doorstep. Thought Perthshire might be in the running but there's a train station 5 minutes away up Ashfield St. Even Vale of Clyde had the old Parkhead line nearby in years passed.

Western Park Renfrew was only 5 minutes walk from Renfrew station which was in Fulbar Street. Beeching closed the line (a spur from Paisley) along with many others in the 1960s. The old station building still exists at the foot of Fulbar St. Western Park on Inchinnan Road was closed  about 6 years ago, demolished and replaced by housing.

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:
56 minutes ago, Village elder said:
2 stations and 3 stops in Cumbernauld.. Cumbernauld well served by rail I would argue

Cumbernauld Utd are a 2.5 mile walk from their nearest train station. I wouldn't call that near. Neither station is in a central location really.

that is the wonder of Cumbernauld a town bordered by two railway  lines and divided by a motorway.....nothing is central or near in Cumbernauld...a stunning example of town planning by the incompetent....

9 minutes ago, GordonS said:
1 hour ago, Village elder said:
2 stations and 3 stops in Cumbernauld.. Cumbernauld well served by rail I would argue

Cumbernauld Utd are a 2.5 mile walk from their nearest train station. I wouldn't call that near. Neither station is in a central location really.

I never claimed that there was proximity to railway lines ..the original post I was responding to simply spoke of towns not well served by rail

45 minutes ago, Village elder said:

I never claimed that there was proximity to railway lines ..the original post I was responding to simply spoke of towns not well served by rail

I think we can agree that while Cumbernauld's well served by rail, Cumbernauld United isn't!

In terms of other grounds that are a sponsored walk from the "local" rail station:

Carluke's about as far away from the town rail station as it's possible to get and still be in Carluke.

Port Glasgow entails a long Alan Partridgesque walk down the side of a dual carriageway - - feels like a couple of miles

Out east Armadale station maybe takes the biscuit by being located in a field about two miles south of the actual town which was rapidly being filled by newbuild commuter housing. I guess technically it'll actually be in Armadale by now, but it defo wasn't last time I was there.

I think we can agree that while Cumbernauld's well served by rail, Cumbernauld United isn't!
In terms of other grounds that are a sponsored walk from the "local" rail station:
Carluke's about as far away from the town rail station as it's possible to get and still be in Carluke.
Port Glasgow entails a long Alan Partridgesque walk down the side of a dual carriageway - - feels like a couple of miles
Out east Armadale station maybe takes the biscuit by being located in a field about two miles south of the actual town which was rapidly being filled by newbuild commuter housing. I guess technically it'll actually be in Armadale by now, but it defo wasn't last time I was there.
Carluke Station is just over a mile away. It's hardly an epic slog. I walk a lot, maybe I'm not a good judge, but a mile doesn't seem very onerous to me.

8 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:
26 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Carluke Station is just over a mile away. It's hardly an epic slog. I walk a lot, maybe I'm not a good judge, but a mile doesn't seem very onerous to me.

Yeah, it's maybe 20-25 minutes walk in a straightish line - mentioned that one mainly as the ground and the station are pretty much as far apart as you can get from each other on opposite edges of what admittedly isn't a huge place.

Edited by Hillonearth

Yeah, there's continuous housing now all the way between Armadale station and the town centre. Cul de sac city.

On 12/12/2019 at 21:26, Hillonearth said:

Yeah, it's maybe 20-25 minutes walk in a straightish line - mentioned that one mainly as the ground and the station are pretty much as far apart as you can get from each other on opposite edges of what admittedly isn't a huge place.

I break up the journey at the pub about halfway.

On 12/12/2019 at 20:59, Hillonearth said:

5 hours ago, GordonS said:

Yeah, there's continuous housing now all the way between Armadale station and the town centre. Cul de sac city.

Found this out to my cost when Wishy played there in a Junior Cup replay four years ago. A decidedly long walk without much scenic interest unless you're into green field housing estates (TBF in the town proper there was a nice wee cafe round the corner from the ground). Worse on the way back as the heavens opened but at least Wishy had won the penalty shootout so didn't overly mind being wringing wet through the return journey (and somehow managed to avoid a bout of pleurisy). Was curious to go there as Armadale brought one of the biggest away supports I ever saw at Wishaw's old Recreation Field to a Cup tie in the early 80s (needless to say Thistle won easily, something like 5-1), obviously what's happened in the intervening years has taken quite a toll on the town and its team.

On 12/12/2019 at 19:18, Sharpal27 said:

Western Park Renfrew was only 5 minutes walk from Renfrew station which was in Fulbar Street. Beeching closed the line (a spur from Paisley) along with many others in the 1960s. The old station building still exists at the foot of Fulbar St. Western Park on Inchinnan Road was closed  about 6 years ago, demolished and replaced by housing.

Am I correct in saying that line was used into the early 1980s for cargo or similar?