Junior grounds beside a railway?

Inverness train runs past Luncarty every day

Banks o Dee springs to mind in the North as mentioned earlier. Stonehaven is other one I can think of but its just a case of you can see the pitch from the high bridge on the way to Aberdeen, to land a ball on the tracks would be superhuman although once played with a defender who could attempt that.  There are not many in Tayside especially Dundee as the line runs along the banks of the Tay where there are no grounds however Jeanfields old pitch Simpson Park had trains running by and Luncarty would have at some point a line running by it but not in the last 30 years. Fife must have some but cant think of them at the moment?? Maybe the criteria for this should be if you can land a ball on the line then it counts!!!

i'm surmising  inverurie locos are near a station ?
as well as lokomotiv moscow, leipzig,sofia to name but another 3
tunnel vision on my part as i've completely gone off  the rails
is TJ the fat controller ?
I think the eastern European teams were named as they were because their players were workers for the railway companies rather than the grounds being located next to a railway track/station. In much the same way as clubs associated with the armed forces being named 'CSKA'.

9 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:
10 hours ago, GordonS said:
I love taking the train to a new place and a new ground, been to dozens that way, and it's always been obvious that Scottish football grounds south of Perth-Dundee are well served by train stations. I presumed it was because football clubs and railway lines were generally created around the same time, and serving similar communities. It hadn't occurred to me that they would be on railway land, though, that's interesting.
It really is simpler to talk about grounds in Central Scotland that aren't well served by rail. Hurlford, Cumnock, Cumbernauld and Beith come to mind.
Worst served is the north-east, though parts of Fife are far from stations too.

Down Wigtownshire & Stewarty way are far from railway stations & a general bawache to get to even from Dumfries. Borders was another example but thats ofc changed with the Border Rail link re-opening.

I've been trying to get to Gretna by train. It's £33 return on Scotrail, but that's the very slow journey via Glasgow, Kilmarnock and Dumfries. To take the quick train from Edinburgh, unless I book very far ahead they're asking for, I shit you not, over £80.

I've been to Stranraer by train but other than that my Dumfries & Galloway trips have all been by car. Bawache is absolutely right.

I used the Waverley line to follow Linlithgow Rose to Scottish Cup games at Gala and Selkirk, I doubt I would have found a reason to travel otherwise. Really pleasant journey.

8 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

Certainly a great way to see our country. Not only are most clubs especially in the West Region near a railway line but some have a station practically next door to the ground. Pollok, Cambuslang, Larkhall, Girvan being prime examples.

I was in a shitty low mood back in May this year, so I took the day off to go see Troon v Auchinleck Talbot. I took my bike on the train and had a slow mosey up and down the coast. It was fairly scorching, so many ice creams were required. Just before the game I had a decent fish supper at the beach, then took in an enjoyable game in which Talbot clinched the league in front of a big, noisy crowd. The sun was setting into the Kintyre across the Clyde as I made my way back to the station. Next day I went to work with a mild sunburn and a smile on my face.

On 05/12/2019 at 15:59, peasy23 said:
On 05/12/2019 at 15:03, Tutankhamen said:
Present day end of the line, historically it was a through line just like East Kilbride.

IIRC the tracks still ran to just about the back end of Brig O'Lea into the early 1980s. I'm sure the trains used to run up there to switch tracks for the return trip to Glasgow. I'll get my anorak.

Spot on Peasy23, the trains did used to come up to right behind the top goal before being switched onto the up track to return to Glasgow. 

I think the points were maybe moved down a bit after Neilston signal box closed and the traffic was signalled from the Cathcart Power Box. 

9 minutes ago, Black Pennel said:

Fucking hell boys (and it will all be boys) this thread has taken a bit of turn since the last time I popped in. Each to their own. Batter in.

There could be a case the railways made football as a spectator sport. There even tales of the railways running football specials for Junior cup ties. I've even heard of the local Senior team and a Junior team supporters sharing a special train when both were playing away cup ties in the same town/city.

Edited by Tutankhamen

Also teams with the prefix Rapid.e.g.Rapid Bucharest whose ground is next door to the main Gara De Nord station.[emoji6]

I think the eastern European teams were named as they were because their players were workers for the railway companies rather than the grounds being located next to a railway track/station. In much the same way as clubs associated with the armed forces being named 'CSKA'.

Ian Mair Park in Dyce sits under a disused line that is know a cycle track/walkway. A few years ago it was blamed for keeping the sun from defrosting the pitch for about 5 weeks. Despite the banking being on the east side and would only shelter it at sunrise.

3 hours ago, tombo said:

Also teams with the prefix Rapid.e.g.Rapid Bucharest whose ground is next door to the main Gara De Nord station.emoji6.png

Next door to the station is pushing it a bit having walked between the two, but it is fairly close by and right next to the main railway line. CFR Cluj who Celtic have been playing against this season are also a railway team.

Not pushing it at all, as they are the Railway team. I should know as i pass through the station on my way to Sighisoara in Transylvania every year and have done since 1995. Rapid is the name of the fast trains ,unsurprisingly, used in Romania by CFR who are the national rail company. The Red Dogs , Dinamo Bucharest, are my team. I try to catch a home game whenever I am over.
T

Next door to the station is pushing it a bit having walked between the two, but it is fairly close by and right next to the main railway line. CFR Cluj who Celtic have been playing against this season are also a railway team.

Cumnock's original ground would have had a railway line adjoining it. The original pre-Townhead ground is on the site of what is now the cemetery opposite the fire station. The railway line carried over the adjacent viaduct was the Ayr to Cronberry line. The station called Cumnock 2nd was at the site of the ground too, just off the end of the viaduct.

3 hours ago, tombo said:

Not pushing it at all, as they are the Railway team. I should know as i pass through the station on my way to Sighisoara in Transylvania every year and have done since 1995. Rapid is the name of the fast trains ,unsurprisingly, used in Romania by CFR who are the national rail company. The Red Dogs , Dinamo Bucharest, are my team. I try to catch a home game whenever I am over.
T

f**k me, Tombo...you win.

"I'm just nipping off to see a fitba game in Transylvania...won't be long, dear"....flutter, flutter, flutter....

On 05/12/2019 at 17:55, Lobby Dossar said:

Lanark United 

I must have been to Moor Park on occasions into double figures over the years and never until yesterday realised the railway line ran so close to the back of it...for some reason the line does a weird loop when approaching Lanark and comes in from the other direction right behind the park.