Junior grounds beside a railway?

13 hours ago, paul wright scores said:

I know there are remnants of railway lines between Neilston and Uplawmoor (near Shilford for example) but is the line you are referring to one that extended beyond the current station and went behind Brig o'Lea and onwards towards Uplawmoor?

It was originally used to bring coal from the Ayrshire coast to Lanarkshire, but was also used for leisure purposes. originally called Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway .

Screenshot(9).png

Edited by Monalie

10 minutes ago, Monalie said:

It was originally used to bring coal from the Ayrshire coast to Lanarkshire, but was also used for leisure purposes. originally called Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway .

Screenshot(9).png

Cheers Monalie - I didn't know that this line linked Lanarkshire and Ayrshire via Neilston and certainly don't remember trains using it.

6 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Looks like this was closed even before Dr Beeching and it's difficult to argue with given there was no obvious need to have two different ways to reach Ardrossan from Glasgow Central.

That's the thing, it didn't go near Glasgow Central.

The Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway (L&AR) was an independent railway company built to provide the Caledonian Railway with a shorter route for mineral traffic from the coalfields of Lanarkshire to Ardrossan Harbour, in Scotland.

It opened in stages from 1888, being extended to Neilston and Newton, giving the Caledonian Railway a fully independent route by 1904. At the Ayrshire end the line duplicated the existing Glasgow and South Western Railway route at a time when bulk coal exports could be handled more economically in Clydebank, so that the primary purpose of the line was short-lived. The Caledonian Railway hoped to develop suburban traffic in south Glasgow where the new line passed through those districts, but street tramcars limited the success of this.

The duplicate routes to Ardrossan were wasteful and, as traffic declined, closures took place from 1930. The eastern section from Neilston and Newton to the Cathcart circle lines developed as outer suburban railways, and were electrified in the 1960s. Those branches, as they became, continue in intensive passenger use at the present day, but are the only remaining sections of the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire line remaining in operation.

*From Wikipedia

18 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Looks like this was closed even before Dr Beeching and it's difficult to argue with given there was no obvious need to have two different ways to reach Ardrossan from Glasgow Central.

One for Protestants and one for Catholics.

I love taking the train to a new place and a new ground, been to dozens that way, and it's always been obvious that Scottish football grounds south of Perth-Dundee are well served by train stations. I presumed it was because football clubs and railway lines were generally created around the same time, and serving similar communities. It hadn't occurred to me that they would be on railway land, though, that's interesting.

It really is simpler to talk about grounds in Central Scotland that aren't well served by rail. Hurlford, Cumnock, Cumbernauld and Beith come to mind.

Worst served is the north-east, though parts of Fife are far from stations too.

I love taking the train to a new place and a new ground, been to dozens that way, and it's always been obvious that Scottish football grounds south of Perth-Dundee are well served by train stations. I presumed it was because football clubs and railway lines were generally created around the same time, and serving similar communities. It hadn't occurred to me that they would be on railway land, though, that's interesting.
It really is simpler to talk about grounds in Central Scotland that aren't well served by rail. Hurlford, Cumnock, Cumbernauld and Beith come to mind.
Down Wigtownshire & Stewarty way are far from railway stations & a general bawache to get to even from Dumfries. Borders was another example but thats ofc changed with the Border Rail link re-opening.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Certainly a great way to see our country. Not only are most clubs especially in the West Region near a railway line but some have a station practically next door to the ground. Pollok, Cambuslang, Larkhall, Girvan being prime examples.